PDA

View Full Version : BattleScribe Roster Editor

Jonskichov
07-23-2010, 06:33 AM
Hi Everyone,

Just here to announce that I have just released Beta 1.02 of BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net), my take on roster/army editing software. Most 40k armies now have data files at data.battlescribe.net (http://data.battlescribe.net).

If your game system or army is not yet represented, tools are included to create your own data files - it should support pretty much any game sytem or army.

Also, it's free!

Take a look at www.battlescribe.net and let me know what you think :)

----------

++ Jonskichov ++

+ jonskichov.blogspot.com (http://jonskichov.blogspot.com) +
+ coolminiornot.com/artist/jonskichov (http://coolminiornot.com/artist/jonskichov) +
+ www.battlescribe.net (http://www.battlescribe.net) +

rbryce
07-23-2010, 10:28 AM
downloaded it to try out, but it fails to load up, sorry.

BlackKnight15624
07-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Just what I was looking for- a free alternative to Army Builder! Thanks so much!

After using it for a while- I have to say that while it's not as fully featured as Army Builder, it's definitely easy to use and above all, free- so no complaints here.

Hyperion
07-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Looks really good at first glance

scadugenga
07-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Seems pretty good so far.

I've noticed that the up/down tool for adding troops to a unit does not work, though.

Mr. Smith
07-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Cool, man, thanks alot. Let me try this baby out.

Jonskichov
07-24-2010, 06:20 AM
downloaded it to try out, but it fails to load up, sorry.
What are you running it on? (mac, windows xp/vista/7 etc) Do you get any error messages? Did you use the windows setup or a zip version? Do you have Java installed? Thanks :)

Seems pretty good so far.
I've noticed that the up/down tool for adding troops to a unit does not work, though.
Thanks for letting me know - I'll get this fixed up and release a new version asap.

Jonskichov
07-24-2010, 06:26 AM
Just what I was looking for- a free alternative to Army Builder! Thanks so much!

After using it for a while- I have to say that while it's not as fully featured as Army Builder, it's definitely easy to use and above all, free- so no complaints here.
Thanks I'm glad you like it :)

If there are any features you would like to see, feel free to post them up on the UserVoice (http://battlescribe.uservoice.com) page - I'll use the votes to decide what goes in the next version :)

BlackKnight15624
07-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Will do! I've already posted one or two, and will give more feedback as I continue using BattleScribe.

rbryce
07-25-2010, 04:26 AM
tried again to see if i could get the error message for you, but it worked! i guess my PC was being temperamental. looks good, ill see when a witch hunters set goes up!

whitestar333
07-25-2010, 05:15 AM
I've downloaded it and it seems pretty good for the most part. I do like how clean, simple, and organized it is. My only criticism so far is that there's no way to specify if Ork Boyz have shootas or sluggas and choppas. While the points don't matter, they do matter for list building purposes (especially tournaments).

Lockark
07-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Just played around with it for the demons. Took me a seconds to realize how you add god specif gifts to a Marked demon prince, but then I figured it out. I like it so far.

=)

Lerra
07-25-2010, 03:43 PM
You have a Linux version! <3

SierraFiveOne
07-25-2010, 08:54 PM
I've downloaded it and found that it starts up and runs fine. It's pretty convienient.

Tyranid-wise, I noticed that it declares my list invalid because I haven't taken 8 of every weapon for a Mycetic Spore. Also, Tyrant Guard cannot be made legal. It either says I have too few weapons for them or too many if I select one.

Other than those problems, I like it. Being free helps a lot too.

Liazardman
07-27-2010, 06:13 AM
Hey great program. One issue I found tho is with the DoC daemon prince when you choose a mark you don't get the option to add the mark specific upgrades.

Thanks again tho mate.

The Inner Geek
07-27-2010, 09:30 AM
This looks interesting. I enjoy Army Builder, but I'll certainly have to give this a try as well!

Jonskichov
07-28-2010, 07:00 AM
My only criticism so far is that there's no way to specify if Ork Boyz have shootas or sluggas and choppas.

Tyranid-wise, I noticed that it declares my list invalid because I haven't taken 8 of every weapon for a Mycetic Spore. Also, Tyrant Guard cannot be made legal. It either says I have too few weapons for them or too many if I select one.

One issue I found tho is with the DoC daemon prince when you choose a mark you don't get the option to add the mark specific upgrades.

Just to say that these and issues like them - where you have incorrect points values, missing entries or other army-related problems - are all problems with the catalogue data files. These can be fixed in the short term by firing up Catalogue Editor.

I will be fixing up the files when I get a chance and posting them on the data site. Of course, feel free to email me any updated files at feedback(at)battlescribe.net and I will post them up and credit you :)

Thanks

PedroKantor
07-28-2010, 11:31 AM
yea! thanks for linux support.. going to try and run it on ubuntu 9.4 when I get home.. will let you know... right now I have to run a VM windows XP... and use an old version of Armybuilder...

Mr. Smith
08-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Where can I get the catalogue files for the 40k armies. It seems as though the site is down.

PinoyC
08-10-2010, 12:44 AM
Awesome program brother...and free!!! One bug is that you can't pick a LR as decdicated X-Port for the SW's Wolf Guard. One of the tings I like to do but can't ATT.

Gnoblar with Pointy Stick
08-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks so much for releasing a Linux version! You made my day.

SotonShades
08-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Brilliant. Really enjoy being able to play about with the catalogue files. Only problem I've had so far is with the Orks, specificly giving bikes to Nobz units. The message at the bottom reads that you can only add a maximum of 1 bike per nob, even though only one bike has been added per nob.

I'm also working on a file for the dred-mob list in IA8, which I'll more than happilly send to you once it's done (unless someone gets there first)!

fenris357
09-05-2010, 12:10 PM
outstanding work mate! genuinely one of the most helpful tools ever!

would love to see the opportunity to add forgeworld items as well though.

found a wee error in the imp guard for some reason when you choose a artillery battery there's an error message if you choose only one type of weapons system eg basilisk it says" too few (Medusa,everything else etc)"

seriously though thank you for making this and ive been addicted for like a week now!

BeakieHelmet
09-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Can't load it.

Running Windows 7 64-bit with the latest version of Java (6.21).

Says "Windows cannot find 'Javaw', please make sure you typed the name correctly and try again."

Xanadu
09-12-2010, 03:52 PM
This is a very useful tool, well done on having written it - I am quite envious of the simplicity. I have been working on an Excel based army calculator, but this far superceedes it.

There are a few errors on my Macintosh version by the way such as warnings not going away if I have the required troops number.

Keep up the good work.

X