PDA

View Full Version : High elf spearmen with spears..... get 3 ranks?!?!?

Rustbucket3437
07-21-2010, 10:14 PM
So a local rules **** pointed this out to me.

In the High Elf FAQ under martial prowes it says, "Ignore last sentence." Which is the example for the martial prowes rule saying that spearmen get 3 ranks normally and 2 on the charge. (writen for 7th when you only fought with the first rank.)

Under the Martial Prowes special rule it now reads, "When fighting with spears, high elves fight with one extra rank to the front only." Under the rules for spears in the bsb it says "extra rank* *does not apply when charging".

I think what he's trying to say is that because the rule for Martial prowes says that when you're fighting with spears you get an extra rank and and no longer includes an example, that extra rank counts as the rank you would get with your spears.

Personally, I think he's off his rocker and the 2 rules are seperate rules and stack on each other, (Like in 7th) but I thought I'd come ask the internet what they thought about this.

So what do you think?

UltramarineFan
07-22-2010, 01:31 AM
The rules do indeed stack so a unit of High Elves with spears would be getting three ranks supporting if they are charged to the front. In addition if they are in a horde then they will get 4 ranks supporting if they are charged to the front.

DrLove42
07-22-2010, 05:13 AM
OK i'm new to Fantasy so i'm not 100% on this...

But in the Hordes tactica on the WD website they talk about fighting in 5 ranks with Spearmen

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=&pIndex=1&aId=10100033a&start=2 (scroll down to the High Elf picture...)

Essayons
07-22-2010, 05:57 AM
The good Doctor is right. High Elves fight with five. Front rank fights. Second rank supports. Third rank for spears. Fourth for horde (assuming ten wide). Fifth for martial prowess.

That makes five...ouch.

Essayons.

DarkAngelHopeful
07-22-2010, 07:45 AM
The good Doctor is right. High Elves fight with five. Front rank fights. Second rank supports. Third rank for spears. Fourth for horde (assuming ten wide). Fifth for martial prowess.

That makes five...ouch.

Essayons.

pretty awesome, am I right?

With Martial Prowess do they get an extra rank to attack when they charge?

UltramarineFan
07-22-2010, 11:56 AM
OK i'm new to Fantasy so i'm not 100% on this...

But in the Hordes tactica on the WD website they talk about fighting in 5 ranks with Spearmen

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=&pIndex=1&aId=10100033a&start=2 (scroll down to the High Elf picture...)

Yes I know, I said 4 SUPPORTING ranks, which would give for a total of 5 ranks fighting