PDA

View Full Version : Army Advice(Yet another 40k gone Fantasy)

bignbad
07-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Hey everyone, I'm a long time browser, but not poster. With the advent of 8th edition I have come to an road block and would like to know some opinions for a potential new fantasy player.

So as the title says, I am another 40k player drawn to Fantasy by the new edition. I've always had a mild interest in it and with the new rules and the majority of good things I have heard about it a friend of mine and I are going to take the dive.

A little background. In 40k I played a variety of different armies, testing play styles and what not and have settled on Space Wolves. In Fantasy I'm interested in what would be an Elite force(low model count but tough guys) but can be rather balanced or is versatile enough that I could one day play a Melee heavy army then switch to a gunline or magic heavy and so force. The most important to me though is having good close combat(I like smashing things rather then shooting them). With this in mind the armies that most appealed to me were Warriors of Chaos(Daemons were considered also for an all Khorne force but due to their reputation in 7th I'm weary of that), High Elves, and Empire. Dwarves were also considered, but my friend is going to play them and I'd prefer to not be the same army.

Without further delay here is the meat of the thread and my questions about these armies in the new edition: (Barring High Elves as I don't have any questions for them, just don't particularly like the spearmen models to be honest, not as bad at the marauders though)

Warriors of Chaos - Is an all Warrior army(Khorne or Tzeentch themed) without a single marauder(hate the models, emphasis on hate.) viable? I heard cavalry got hit hard, but the Chaos Knights look to cool to not include for any reason, would they fit in a warrior heavy army and be able to gain back their points? Or are they too expensive to be useful?

Empire - Looking at WoC and then at Empire, can Empire be a decent melee force? I would play a more balanced list, but the question still stands. Also, this goes along with the Chaos Knights question. Would an all knightly order army for Empire be viable? Perhaps maybe mostly knights with a cannon or two?

I believe that's all I have to ask right now. Thanks in advance for any help, and I apologize for yet another Army Advice thread.

Beta_Ray_Bill
07-21-2010, 07:54 PM
I heard cavalry got hit hard,

It's not that cav got hit hard, it's the fact that everything else got a boost one way or another. Cavalry are mostly a SUPPORT unit, not often something you want to anchor your army on.

A ton of people can't seem to wrap their heads around that. Monstrous infantry are mostly in the same boat.

They're a fast unit. Swing them into the flanks. That's all you have to do with them. And when it all works out, it works good!

bignbad
07-21-2010, 08:18 PM
I understand that cavalry is supose to be more supporting, but I hear from people that it isn't as good as it was before due to thinks like steadfast and that for this reason it isn't as viable to take it or lots of it(atleast in the case of Chaos where your knights are 40-50 points per model) compared to other options. I supose that would be the better question to ask.

Old_Paladin
07-22-2010, 07:02 AM
It's too bad you dislike the high elves, because they are close to what you seem to want, they can be good at anything or everything.

As for empire, can they do well in combat... not really. Can they do well in combat with the right support... totally.

A basic block of spearman or halberdiers would have a really hard time against a block of chaos warriors even half its size. However, add in a warrior priest and now the unit rerolls hits and can have prayers (and a good fighter leading it) if you then have a wizard cast a buff spell (like the +1S & +1T, from the lore of beasts; or the Mindrazor spell giving them strength 7 or more), then they will plow through a unit of chaos warriors much easier.

Also; if you really want a Cavalry army, you pretty much have to take Brets.
Because of their lance formation, it's nearly twice as easy for them to have ranks on their knights compared to any other army.
This means that they are more likely to be able to cancel enemy steadfast (and maybe rout them on a frontal charge). This also menas that it takes a much smaller unit on the flank to cancel ranks (6+ bret knights vs. 10+ knight in any other army).