PDA

View Full Version : How do I make Blood Ravens?

HsojVvad
07-21-2010, 01:25 PM
My heart broke a bit today. I was painting my Dreadnaught and my son wanted to paint it red instead of Dark Angels Green. I asked why red, and he said, for Blood Ravens. I was puzzled. I asked where did you hear of Blood Ravens and he said from the Dawn of War game.

I bought it for him for Christmas and this is the first time he mentioned them. He said, "Daddy you have your army, and I will have my army. So my heart broke because all my SM are DA and knowing how expensive SM are, it's going to cost me more money now :eek:.

I guess he will be getting a Blackreach boxset for himself now.

So since I know nothing of Blood Ravens, how do I make them? I guess they use the SM codex, *cough cough*. Can I use another codex instead of SM? If not, I guess I will have to buy the SM codex then for him.

Also what is their unit compostion? Where can I go to get their paint scheme? How do their logos look?

Where can I go to learn up on them for my son? He is really interested in BR so I will learn about them so he can play them properly.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Grailkeeper
07-21-2010, 02:07 PM
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Blood_Ravens

They have a lot of librarians and are rumoured to be descended from the Thousand Sons...

I think any of the marine codexs would do- altough the blood angels are the new kids on the block, and have a librarian dreadnaught.

Lanparth
07-21-2010, 02:22 PM
I play Blood Ravens, to be honest they are pretty codex marine centric aside from the Librarians.

At lot of this 'counts as' stuff is getting out of hand in my opinion. Blood Ravens are codex marines, not Blood Angels.

Lerra
07-21-2010, 02:29 PM
I run my Blood Ravens using the Space Wolves codex so that I can have 4 librarians in my list (very BR fluffy). There is no official codex for Blood Ravens, so just pick whichever you think is most fun. Your son could use the DA codex until he's progressed further in the game, or until you have the funds for a different codex, too. If you use DA without the special characters, it's pretty similar to any of the other marine codices.

RedScorpionsGirl
07-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Being that they are so librarian oriented, my suggestion to others who asked this is to try the blood angels 'dex. Since you can get a librarian dreadnought and all, it seems like it would work well.

Galadren
07-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Honestly I'd run them as normal codex marines (because really, that's what they are) and use Varro Tigurius as the HQ (call him something else) to represent the Librarian focus.

BlackKnight15624
07-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Blood Ravens are a Codex marine chapter- no genetic or dispositional aberrations besides the above-average number of librarians. Just run them as codex and be sure to use a librarian in your force.

If your son is interested in their color scheme- it's fairly easy to paint them Mechrite Red with Bleached bone shoulder pads and black trim.

Back in WD300 (I think), they did a battle report of Blood Ravens vs. Orks- might be good material to go back and look at if you have access to it. Otherwise, get yo'self on a computer and fire up Dawn of War!

RedScorpionsGirl
07-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Honestly I'd run them as normal codex marines (because really, that's what they are) and use Varro Tigurius as the HQ (call him something else) to represent the Librarian focus.

Actually, they aren't codex marines, per say, as they aren't in a codex.

Truly they are whatever you want them to be, as regardless of the codex, they are still Blood Ravens. You could use a new 'dex to get access to the new equipment, or large numbers of librarians (ie. Blood Angels or Space Wolves), a librarian Dread from Blood Angels, or just run it out of the Ultraweenie 'dex, whichever will work out best for what you want to field in your army. Try basing your codex choice from that, as that will help you ultimately decide which will work out the best for you.

HsojVvad
07-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Thank you guys, greatly appreciated. I will let him play his computer game and see what he likes from them. If he wants his Dreadnaught to be a Libraian then I will get him the BA codex. If he wants 4 Librians in his army then I will buy him the SW codex.

I like the idea Lerra has suggested. We will stick with the DA codex for now, just playing house games for now, so all money can go into minis instead of a codex.

Thank you again.

Sir Biscuit
07-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Everything you need to know about Blood Ravens:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Blood_Ravens

As mentioned, Codex marines is probably the best fit for them, though non-specialized Dark Angels is pretty similar, so no worries.

OCdt Mephiston
07-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Actually, they aren't codex marines, per say, as they aren't in a codex.

Truly they are whatever you want them to be, as regardless of the codex, they are still Blood Ravens. You could use a new 'dex to get access to the new equipment, or large numbers of librarians (ie. Blood Angels or Space Wolves), a librarian Dread from Blood Angels, or just run it out of the Ultraweenie 'dex, whichever will work out best for what you want to field in your army. Try basing your codex choice from that, as that will help you ultimately decide which will work out the best for you.

When people say "Codex marines" they mean that the chapter follows the Codex Astartes, and has no immediately obvious change from the laws laid down by Guilliman.

Examples:

Codex Chapters:

-Ultramarines
-Salamander
-Raven Guard
-Pretty much every Chapter out there

Non-Codex Chapters:

-Space wolves (Great Companies)
-Blood Angels (Death Company)
-Dark Angels (Deathwing, Ravenwing)
-Black Templars (Massive Numbers)

That being said, Blood Ravens fit into the Codex marine mold, and should use CSM... Despite this, its a hobby, its a game, who cares what you do!

Darkriver
07-21-2010, 08:08 PM
As stated they are rumored to be decendents of Thousand Sons so running them as so from the Chaos codex is not a bad option beyond the standard codex marines. I have been slowly working on some myself and plan to run them as such. They definatly have the option to be ran with several options without having to build a whole new army.

ctrich77
08-17-2010, 06:09 PM
If you want more back ground check with GW a few years back they did a Index Astartes on them in a White Dwarf I'll check with my bro he has every WD from the last 8 years or so. They are very Lib heavy as ppl have said but they are of a mix gene seed they are mentioned as a Blood Angel or even Raven Guard but no exact mention of either. The chaos codex with the thousand son troops would be a good start with the amount of Lib they can field it will be close. They are a very diffrent chapter then the standard codex chapters. I feel you on the expense I have 2 sons and they both are showing intrest one in the Ultramarines the other in the Space Wolves.....lol