PDA

View Full Version : 25 Points Khador/Cryx

thetallest
07-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Hello all!

I am just getting involved in Warmachine again after a long break, and looking to get involved with playing with a few friends casually.

I'm looking to put together a good learning list - the group I'm playing with are relateively non-competitive, and I'm looking for something that will be fun to play without being unreasonable.

The group I play with already has established players utilizing all the major factions, so I wanted to put together a couple of lists - one for Khador and one for Cryx. The games are always 25 points.

I was thinking of using something like:

Kommander Sorcha
- Juggernaught
- Kodiak
- Wardog
Great Bears of Gallowswood
Koldun Lord
Widowmakers
Winter Guard Mortar Crew

Pirate Queen Skarre
- Defiler
- Harrower

6 Blackbane's Ghost Raiders
6 Revenant Crew
Captain Rengrave

I was hoping I could get some opinions as to whether either list is any good, and to find out if there are any suggested changes to either list. The Cryx list has 2 points left over, and I am kind of at a loss as to what I should do with those points.

Anyways, any comments would be appreciated.

GentleBen
07-21-2010, 01:25 PM
With a Cryx army you have a difficult decision on whether to spend that 2 pts on a Warwitch Siren or a Skarlock thrall. Either are excellent ways to go but the Skarlock is generally considered to be more universally helpful. Or you can outsource and hire Gorman DiWulfe to drop a cloud effect in front of the Revenant quartermaster to help keep them all alive. His other bombs are good too.

You could also consider a Necrotech and scrap thrall plus 4 more scrap thralls. Scrap thralls are the cheapest way to get focus from ritual sacrifice, and the extra focus could easily be worth the investment.

Finally you could drop the Harrower and take 2 slayers if you haven't bought it already. I'm a big fan of Slayers; for 6 points they are fast, pretty brutal, and very versatile with the ability to do a 2-hand throw.

As far as BlackBane's go, they are a much riskier choice these days with so many more magical weapons on the table to counteract incorporeal. That's not to say they aren't any good. There are just times when they will fail utterly, and times when they will be amazing. Personally I'd fill that 6 with 2 min units of mechanithralls, or a full unit with a brute thrall. But I can see how you're kind of going for a pirate force there so by all means stick to that if you want to do a theme. Ghost pirates are pretty awesome in general and Skarre, between her feat and dark guidance is a great caster for them.

thetallest
07-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of the skarlock. I was trying to go with a pirate theme, which was why I went with the Harrower - it being amphibious I felt that I could run the Skarre themed army. That said, all it gains me is advanced deployment on the Harrower, so losing that wouldn't be the end of the world.

I guess my biggest concern with the Cryx force is lack of hitting power. Given that the game size will only be 25 points, do you perceive that to be a problem? I'm likely to run into all 6 Warmachine and all 4 Hordes forces with this list - I guess my biggest fear would be whether I could stand up to the other forces.

I've been led to believe that none of the other players will be min-maxing their lists, so I don't have to worry about fielding the ultimate combo or anything - my main concern is that it will be fun to play and to play against :cool:

GentleBen
07-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Lots of Cryx armies hit deceptively hard. With Skarre you really need to poise yourself to take advantage of the feat turn. Everything will be at str+5 so it doesn't take too much stuff to just wreck house.

Also remember most of the tier lists aren't tailored to be as competitive as a non-themed list. They are really just there to give you a few interesting rewards for trying something different. So if you want to go all pirate, do it to have fun and be ready to accept some losses. That's just the way it is.

stampdog316
07-22-2010, 03:53 PM
I like your Khador army but your wardog is going to have trouble keeping up with Sorcha as she wind rushes around the board, your koldun lord is also a little squishy as well. You might want to trade out the dog and the Koldun Lord for a manhunter or Yuri the Axe. I don't have my cards or rulebook in front of me so I don't know the exact points cost.
I like the Koldun Lord with the ternions or as a jack marshall, he isn't bad on his own but there are better options out there.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Nickster8414
10-18-2010, 11:37 AM
I also like you Khador army, but I usually run that setup with Zerkova. Although if you are just starting to play it I don't recommend Zerkova as she has to be placed with great skill to be close to the front battle, but just out of reach of her dying. I like to see it as "great risk comes great reward". My opponents hate it when I can bounce around with wind rush.

I might try to work it so that the Koldun Lord jack marshals a Beserker jack just for protection.