PDA

View Full Version : High Elves vs Warriors of Chaos 1000pts

eldargal
07-21-2010, 06:00 AM
Just finished this battle. Already lost the notes I took, so yay. It might be a bit threadbare. Read at own risk.

Army lists:
Coven of Khoq the Diseased
House Sapherael Exploratory Force
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?p=89770

Scenario: Battleline. Table has a few scattered buildings, some forest around the edges. Not a whole lot as we wanted a good, old fashioned infantry melee.

Deployment: Chaos warriors and marauders in the middle, Sorcerer behind, Chaos chariot bringing up the right flank. High Elves Seaguard and Swordmasters opposite the Chaos infantry blocks, mage sheltering in Seaguard, Bolt Thrower on left flank, Reavers on right.

Chaos Turn 1:
Warriors and Marauders march forward towards their opposition, chariot drives forward towards the bolt thrower, ending up behind a small house. Sorcerer casts Plague Squall on Swordmasters, dispelled by my mage.

High Elf Turn 1:
Infantry move forward, Reavers speed up towards the Chaos flank. Mage casts Flames of the Phoenix on the Warriors, Sorcerer attempts to dispel and fails (glee), wounds all of three models (un-glee). Two fail saves. Underwhelming. Bolt thrower launches a volley at chariot, five hits, three wounds, all failed. Bwaha. Brother makes rude comment.

Chaos Turn 2:
Idiot brother attempts to charge my units. Warriors fall an inch short of my Swordmasters (glee), Marauders fall three inches short of Seaguard. Chariot speeds towards bolt thrower. Sorcerer casts Plague Squall on Swordmasters, gets Irresistable Force (sod) but rolls a misfire, so the template is centred on himself and only hits Warriors with Mark of Nurgle so it has no effect. Brother rolls on Miscast chart, rolls a three. Five nearby Warriors and Four Marauders perish in the ensuing Dimensional Cascade and the Sorcerer is sucked into the warp. I make a witty remark about it being a real 'Khoq up'. Brother fails to appreciate the subtle humour.

High Elf Turn 2:
Seaguard charge Marauders, Swordmasters charge warriors, Ellyrian charge their flank. Magic phase, yay. Flames of the Phoenix ticks up to S4 and kills six warriors. Mage casts Shield of Saphery on Swordmasters. Repeater bolt thrower volleys against chariot, causing it to blow up, Hollywood style. Swordmasters eviscerate the warriors, killing eight, Swordmasters emerge unscathed. Seaguard trip over their own feet and kill all of two marauders, Marauders kill four back, lose combat but pass test. Reavers are ineffectual also.

Chaos Turn 3:
Magic phase consists of Festering Shroud killing two Swordmasters, and a failed, mageless dispel on Flames of the Phoenix. Straight into combat, warriors kill two more Swordmasters, lose six in return. The remnants fight on. Marauders kill five Seaguard, Seaguard strike back and also kill five. Marauders fight on. It might sound dull but it was actually quite exciting.

High Elf Turn 3:
Repeater Bolt Thrower crew prepare popcorn and watch the central melee. Mage casts Shield of Saphery on Seaguard cos the blighters seem to need it, failed dispel. FotP ticks up to S5 and managed to only kill one more warrior. Swordmasters kill three more warriors, lose one in return. Warriors break, Swordmasters pursue but fail to catch them. Seaguard kill some marauders (I forget how many), lose two in return. Reavers don't seem to do anything once more. But, Marauders break at last, Seaguard pursue and destroy them.

Chaos Turn 4:
Warriors try to rally, fail. Swordmasters charge them. Game ends.

Ok so I was absurdly lucky and my brother was absurdly unlucky. Not sure what to draw from the battle, other than the fact that Swordmasters are absurdly awesome, as are bolt throwers. Rolled poorly with my seaguard, but they did ok. Magic is really fantastic.

Khoq the Diseased drifts through the Realm of Chaos, feeling rather embaressed.

Edit: I just realised I forgot my Seaguards bows, and probably some other stuff.

DarkAngelHopeful
07-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Nice BatRep.

I'm glad the Swordmasters owned. I had expected them to. I'm glad the magic seemed to work in your favor. I like magic in 8th ed and want to run a more magic'y army despite the miscast table. All in all, yay for the High Elves!

Ka Faraq Gatri
07-21-2010, 09:47 AM
I can't imagine why your brother failed to see the funny side of the Khoq-up. :p

I don't think that your Seaguard shooting would have made a tremendous amount of difference. Particularly with the 8th edition rules, the loss of a couple of models from the back ranks most likely wouldn't have changed the outcome of the combats.

An extremely impressive show though, particularly from the Swordmasters. Good batrep too - enough detail, and a nice line in dry humour.

DrLove42
07-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Same as everyone else glad the sword masters and bolt throwers are awesome. Got a good core of them in my new army so that should help ease me into the game a bit

darth_papi76
08-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Nice report. Games are so much more fun when you give your minis names.

eldargal
08-24-2010, 12:34 AM
Thanks, and I agree, I name all my characters and give them backstories which evolve as I play them.:)

Nice report. Games are so much more fun when you give your minis names.