PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Chaos Army

Colonel Pryde
07-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Hi, anyone want to critique this 1500pt Black Legion army?

Chaos Lord 90pt
Term Armor + Power Weapon 30pt
Combi Melta 5pt
Mark of Tzeentch 15pt

Chaos Terminators 5x30 (150pt)
Icon of Tzeentch 35pt

Chaos Space Marines 10x15 (150pt)
All Boltpistol + Chainsword
Icon Chaos Glory 10pt

Chosen Chaos Marines 7x18 (126pt)
Boltpistol +Chainsword x6
Meltagun 10pt
Meltabomb 5pt
Icon Chaos Glory 10pt

Khorne Berzerkers 10x21 (210pt)
Personal Icon 5pt

Possessed Marines 5x26 (130pt)
Icon Chaos Glory 5pt

Icon Chaos Glory 5pt

Obliterators 3x75 (125pt)

Chaos Defiler 1x150

Total: 1496pt

Strategy: Camp the Berserkers on the objective because of fearless, use the possessed marines as quick attack units to decimate enemy squads in assault. Use chaos marines to either hold an objective or support the berserkers. The chosen marines will most likely outflank to take care of camping tanks or troops. Icons given to most squads in order to guide deep strikers to vital positions. Lord attached to terminators will deepstrike to an icon and provide assault support. Obliterators will deepstrike to an icon and immediately provide heavy support the turn they come in. The defiler will engage in long range anti tank/troop attacks, used as a distraction for enemy fire.

Just want to get an idea if i'm on the right track! Thanks,
Col. Pryde

Daemonette666
07-19-2010, 01:00 AM
Hi, anyone want to critique this 1500pt Black Legion army?

Chaos Lord 90pt
Term Armor + Power Weapon 30pt
Combi Melta 5pt
Mark of Tzeentch 15pt

Chaos Terminators 5x30 (150pt)
Icon of Tzeentch 35pt

Chaos Space Marines 10x15 (150pt)
All Boltpistol + Chainsword
Icon Chaos Glory 10pt

Chosen Chaos Marines 7x18 (126pt)
Boltpistol +Chainsword x6
Meltagun 10pt
Meltabomb 5pt
Icon Chaos Glory 10pt

Khorne Berzerkers 10x21 (210pt)
Personal Icon 5pt

Icon Chaos Glory 5pt

Icon Chaos Glory 5pt

Obliterators 3x75 (125pt)

Chaos Defiler 1x150

Total: 1496pt

Strategy: Camp the Berserkers on the objective because of fearless, use the possessed marines as quick attack units to decimate enemy squads in assault. Use chaos marines to either hold an objective or support the berserkers. The chosen marines will most likely outflank to take care of camping tanks or troops. Icons given to most squads in order to guide deep strikers to vital positions. Lord attached to terminators will deepstrike to an icon and provide assault support. Obliterators will deepstrike to an icon and immediately provide heavy support the turn they come in. The defiler will engage in long range anti tank/troop attacks, used as a distraction for enemy fire.

Just want to get an idea if i'm on the right track! Thanks,
Col. Pryde
Double check your points with your calculater. 3 Obliterators costs 225 points not 125 points. I would cut out the second unit of Possessed, and reduce the Obliterator's to just 1. Mount your Chaos Marines and Berserkers in rhino APCs so they have some cover and can move across the table quicker.

I worked out a 1500 point balanced Chaos Space Marine army for competitions, and ths is what I would use.

Kharn (165) leading a unit of 8 khorn berserkers aspiring champ has power weap + melta bombs (208). They are in a Landraider with extra armour + Havoc Launcher (250). 6 Noise Marines - 5 sonic blasters, Aspiring Champ power weap Doom Siren and Melta Bombs (180) mounted in basic Rhino (35). 2 units of 10 Chaos Space marines - icon of Chaos Glory Lascannon, Champ with Power Weapon and Melta Bombs (205 pts ea). Defiler with Twin Linked Lascannon (175). Unit of 1 Obliterator (75). total 1498 points

This army has troops such as the Berserkers and Kharn, and the Noise Marines to take objectives, the Defiler to assist with this, or provide artillery fire to remove pesky space marines in cover.

You then have 2 units of CSMs and the Obliterator to hold objectives on your table half, and whittle down your opponents forces such as tanks, dreadnoughts, and heavy troops.

36 troops, 2 tanks and a walker with tank killing weapons through out the force means you do not stick all your eggs in one basket. Your opponent has to choose who is the most dangerous, giving you time to flank troops, and wipe out their nasty characters, and tanks.

What do you think.

Lykum
07-19-2010, 04:58 AM
There are cheaper ways to camp an objective than a squad of Berzerkers that are also fearless. Consider some lesser deamons, or a smaller squad of plague marines in a rhino. Both can be held in reserve and brought to a home objective quickly in the last few turns.

I haven't used possessed yet. I know where you're going with the IoCG, but it seems like a waste to give it to a fearless unit. If you can free up the points an Icon of Khorne may be more helpful. You probably don't need an icon in every squad.

Lastly, I feel like Chosen are kinda wasted without a transport. The reason I would take them would be for the Infiltrate/Outflank. Throw in one more melta and a Rhino and you have a dude that can roll up mid game and wreak stuff on the flanks.

Looks like a fun list overall though.

house_cawdor
07-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Use Obliterators over Havocs, they are worth the extra cost as they are much more flexible (wouldn't you ratherhave the option to change weapons every turn?) I agree that 2 units of possessed may be a bit much, but to make the one unit more survivable (if you can afford the points) give them the mark of Tzeentch for a 4+ invulnerable save. This makes them WAAAAY better for the cost that they already are.

Daemonette666
07-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Use Obliterators over Havocs, they are worth the extra cost as they are much more flexible (wouldn't you ratherhave the option to change weapons every turn?) I agree that 2 units of possessed may be a bit much, but to make the one unit more survivable (if you can afford the points) give them the mark of Tzeentch for a 4+ invulnerable save. This makes them WAAAAY better for the cost that they already are.
The Tzeentch idea is good. I agree with using Obliterators rather than Havocs. Obliterators rock - 2 wonds, Fearless, 2+ save 5+ invul and change weapons combo each turn.

Oh, a GW store manager told me that I do not have to use the Power Fist on my Obliterator, and can use a CCW. You get to strike in normal initiative order then. Mind you I would only use this if I knew my opponent had a good chance of kiling my Obliterator if he struck first, such as a champion with 3 to 4 attacks with a power weapon and an iniative of 4 or less. If the champion was iniative 4 atleast we would strike each other simultaneously. However as Obliterators do not have frag grenades, they usually get iniative 1 when charging through cover, and most enemies attack them with high iniative/ high strength Character models/units.

Watch out when using your Defiler. Anyone who has gone against one before will target it first. It only has a front armour of 12, and there are too many armies which have fast troops and vehicles that can get into position to shoot your weak/ vulnerable rear armour. Examples of this are Tau with their version of the melta gun mounted on battle suits or stealth suits, and on their vehicles, space marine land speeders with multi-meltas, and so on.

Do not put it where the enemies nastiest weapons will be able to get a clean shot at it, remember your defiler's Blast template can deviate off target, and it only has a BS of 3. Good though is that it has a range of 72". I use cover to limit the amount of fire the enemy can get at my good units, and possibly give me a 4+ cover against those that can see them.

It is a pity you can not give units like Obliterators a chaos mark or icon. That wuold truly be fun. an Obliterator with a 4+ invul or Toughness 5.

Colonel Pryde
07-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Thanks all for the replies!

Havocs just discourage me because of their $ cost and what the kit comes with. Obliterators, with their stat line are very hard to resist.

I'll cut a squad of possessed marines to free up points for something else, ho do you guys feel about outflanking chosen marines? I was thinking some meltabombs on the outflank can wreak those camping tanks. Also, any ideas on using sorcerers? I've got one and would like to put it to use. I almost always play with my guard and black templars, chaos is one of my side armies but I have come to love chaos' creative codex. I just love close combat! That aside, I have never used a psyker ever. And those magical abilities like warptime look really good.

Just becoming a new disciple of chaos, thanks,
Col.Pryde

Daemonette666
07-21-2010, 02:13 AM
Thanks all for the replies!

Havocs just discourage me because of their $ cost and what the kit comes with. Obliterators, with their stat line are very hard to resist.

I'll cut a squad of possessed marines to free up points for something else, ho do you guys feel about outflanking chosen marines? I was thinking some meltabombs on the outflank can wreak those camping tanks. Also, any ideas on using sorcerers? I've got one and would like to put it to use. I almost always play with my guard and black templars, chaos is one of my side armies but I have come to love chaos' creative codex. I just love close combat! That aside, I have never used a psyker ever. And those magical abilities like warptime look really good.

Just becoming a new disciple of chaos, thanks,
Col.Pryde
Yes it does sound like this thread is nearly ending. As for your last few questions -

1: A unit of Chosen in a tank rushing up, dismounting, then charging into Close combat to place Melta Bombs (neading a 6 to hit) is a risky gamble. You spend a turn not in close combat where you can get shot up, unless you do not move the rhino APC before disembarking them. Better to use a unit of Raptors to achieve the same result. 2 Melta Guns or a flamer and Melta gun work well. The champion can then be given a powerfist - Str 8 attack in the tanks rear armour. Pity Chosen can not deep strike, or be upgraded to jumpacks or be given a drop pod. I find Chosen are good in really large games 2500 pints or more, where I have enough troop choices, and I need a unit to equip with 3 melta guns, or give a unit a lot of Power weapons to take down enemy terminators.

2: Sorcerors are a tricky thing. Unless you attach them to a fearless unit, they are not fearless them selves. I like using Daemon princes and giving them wings - more expensive, but they ignore armour saves, are fearless, tough 6, immune to instant death, 3/5+ save, and with wings can jump using cover to hide behind. As to which Chaos power has the best psychic powers, I find it hard to chose between Tzeentch using warptime, and one of the shooting attacks, or Slaanesh using lash of submission (handy for pulling enemy units out of cover into a close knit tightly packed bunch for your havoc launchers, and other template weapons to bring them down.

With sorcerors and daemon princes, in fact anyone using Psychic powers, who is not an eldar psycker who roll 3 dice and choose the 2 dice they want, or a special character like Typhus who automatically passes his psychic tests - watch out for the perils of the warp. Rolling an 11 or a double 1 is easier to do than you would think. If you do get perils of the warp, you then get no armour save, and need to roll your invulnerable save twice or suffer a wound. One of my opponents told me his mephiston lost 2 wound to perils of the warp in a previous game he had. Mephiston does not have an invulnerable save, so any new Blood Angels players watch out if you decide to take him. Almost unstoppable in close combat, but susceptable to lascannon and plasma gun fire, and perils of the warp - smirk (killed off mephiston this way myself).

Anyway the sorceror is your choice and which power, well I am biased towards Slaanesh. As per the chosen unit, raptors and bikers are more effective, or even chaos terminators with combi-meltas who can be deep striked into the enemy rear area.