PDA

View Full Version : Shooting with a vehicle squadron

Hugz4Genestealers
07-17-2010, 05:58 PM
So I'm planning on starting a Guard army in the near future, and in preparation for that I've been looking through the codex, and I had a few questions about vehicle rules. I know that this is all covered somewhere in the rulebook, but despite five-odd years of gaming, I've managed to make it through without actually owning a copy (small or large) of the rules. Anyways, here goes: what are the rules dictating target selection for a squadron of vehicles, particularly the guard Ordnance Battery? Are they all constrained to shoot at the same target, just like a squad of infantry, or do they act as separate vehicles in the shooting phase. Simple question, I know, but it's been bugging me for a bit, and I just don't have the answer on hand... Thanks!

Nabterayl
07-17-2010, 06:57 PM
They all shoot at the same target. Target selection is always by unit, regardless of what type of unit it is.

SeattleDV8
07-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Argeed, BRB pg.64 Shooting Phase First sentence.

Grimnar42
07-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Five years without owning a rulebook ???? And you are going to start a new army ?? Isnt it about time you got hold of a copy.

Hugz4Genestealers
07-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Now, it's not like I've never seen a rulebook, or looked through it or anything! The guys I play with most often have at least three copies between them, and there's obviously a copy down at my LGS, so it's never really been an issue. Besides, I really don't feel the need to spend fifty bucks above an beyond the cost of assembling an army just to answer the occasional rules question that can just as easily be answered for free by consulting the internet!

Nungunz
07-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Why spend $50? Just get the Black Reach rule book from ebay or off of someone else. Should run you 10-15 dollars.

Hugz4Genestealers
07-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Again, why bother spending money at all?

Big mek
07-18-2010, 01:33 AM
to get back on track, if you have 3 leman russ' in a squadron as a heavy support choice, they fire at same target too?

blackarmchair
07-18-2010, 01:51 AM
Yup. That's the downside of the squadron.

Hugz4Genestealers
07-18-2010, 01:51 AM
Apparently so. Kinda seems like overkill to me. What would really warrant having a battery of 3 Medusas (or Russes) shot at it at the same time?

Nabterayl
07-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Depends on what your goal is for a single unit's shooting. One battle cannon is not very likely to wipe out a ten-man infantry squad in cover, after all. Three battle cannons is much more likely to put that squad down for good.

SeattleDV8
07-18-2010, 03:07 PM
And for IG it's known as the Rule of Three- Because one will miss and one is dead.

BuFFo
07-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Apparently so. Kinda seems like overkill to me. What would really warrant having a battery of 3 Medusas (or Russes) shot at it at the same time?

wanting more than three in your army....

Lunar Camel
07-18-2010, 06:23 PM
I run three medusa's in a squadron and two basilisks by themselves. The medusas in the center of the board and the one basilisk in each corner. Nothing on the board I can't touch. And with a barrage, nothing usually survives the first round of shooting.:cool:

Hugz4Genestealers
07-18-2010, 06:31 PM
I played against a setup like that one time. Outflanking genestealers and hidden deployment Ymgarls plus some remarkably well-coordinated reserve rolling equaled a bunch of dead artillery on the third turn.

Lunar Camel
07-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Yeah that happens. Gotta hit the big stuff (not in size but importance) first. The artillery, because they are static and they get your attention, will usually last for only three rounds. Thats what the troops and others are for, to mop up and claim the objectives.

Not a winner take all list, but is darn fun to play.

Hugz4Genestealers
07-19-2010, 07:10 PM
And that, good sir, is the idea. Also why I'm planning on including two Deathstike missiles, because nothing is cooler than bringing an ICBM to a gun fight.

Culven
07-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Besides, I really don't feel the need to spend fifty bucks above an beyond the cost of assembling an army just to answer the occasional rules question that can just as easily be answered for free by consulting the internet!
Even when that answer is clearly printed in the rulebook and posting that information is actually a violation of Intellectual Property rights and could lead to the website being closed by GW? :rolleyes:

Why not just get ahold of the AoBR rulebook so that you aren't asking others to break forum rules and you can find the answers tou need when you don't even have access to the internet?