PDA

View Full Version : Chopping up the 8th ed. rulebook

Cossack
07-11-2010, 02:16 PM
I am going to take my new 8th ed. rulebook to Kinko's to have the spine chopped off and then get it spiral bound. It's my intention to only put the necessary pages in and leave out the fluff.

It appears that I shouldn't just do it with the first 150 pages as there's good spell info in the back.

In your opinion, what pages should be in a 'cut down' version of this book?

lobster-overlord
07-11-2010, 02:20 PM
IMO, everything that's being cut out to make the Island of Blood version....

Why spend the money on the book if you're going to chop it up?

Herald of Nurgle
07-11-2010, 02:52 PM
200 pages in the real book, but i've pretty much felt like splitting the book into two as well. Being that i've got a separate reading copy (aka: Collectors) for when i'm at home there's no real point to having a second giant rulebook to lug around all the time.

Good choice though. :)

BlackKnight15624
07-11-2010, 03:35 PM
That's a $75.00 ouch.

If you're going to do it, keep everything game-essential (duh). To include Rules, Magic, and the reference section.

DrLove42
07-11-2010, 03:45 PM
IMO pages 1-149 are the main rules.

Then 482-509 are the reference sections, with all the magic lores.

Cossack
07-11-2010, 05:05 PM
So that entire section from 151 - 477 can be removed, along with the introduction? And I'll keep the index in the back as well.

HsojVvad
07-11-2010, 08:46 PM
So that entire section from 151 - 477 can be removed, along with the introduction? And I'll keep the index in the back as well.

How about waiting till September and then buy the boxset and have the mini book then?

Aldramelech
07-12-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm not a fan of the "worlds largest rule book" as every one knows but I wouldn't advocate chopping up a £45 book.
Wait for the small one......

eldargal
07-12-2010, 12:59 AM
In a few months you will be able to get the Island of Blood rulebook on eBay for ten pounds or so. Wait for that, cutting up a forty five pound book for no good reason now is just plain stupid. Very, very stupid.

DarkAngelHopeful
07-12-2010, 04:27 AM
If it were me, I'd wait until Island of Blood comes out for the mini book. The book lover in me cringes at the thought of damaging the BRB or any book for that matter.

Chuck777
07-12-2010, 08:30 AM
I have had the same idea, i.e. chopping up the behemoth and forging 2 spiral bound books... BUT I am hesitant to do so because I am not sure how future me will react to past me chopping up a beautiful $75 book. Will I look back on the Chop as a horrible act of vandalism or a stroke of genius... My future reaction would probably hinge on how much I use the book. If I only use it once every week end until I buy the mini book, then it is probably pointless to chop up the big book... But if I game twice a week until the Mini book comes out it may be worth it to chop up the big book.

Oh woe is the gamer who desires a functional rule book at the table.

solemnclockwork
07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
You know what would be easier?

Just get some tabs to put on the pages you really need, or photo-copy the pages.

You really shouldn't cut up a book when you other options of handling this.

CitizenZero
07-13-2010, 12:58 AM
I may memorize the entire book front to back, then lobotomize myself to remove the fluff.

Chuck777
07-13-2010, 02:20 AM
You know what would be easier?

Just get some tabs to put on the pages you really need, or photo-copy the pages.

You really shouldn't cut up a book when you other options of handling this.

That still doesn't solve the problem of wielding a dictionary around fragile models :D

solemnclockwork
07-13-2010, 02:58 AM
That still doesn't solve the problem of wielding a dictionary around fragile models :D

I'm pretty sure PHOTO-COPYING, the pages will accomplish the same thing he wants. (I actually put this in my original post)

Putting tabs on the main book will not, but is it so much not to hold it above models?

Edit,

Better yet don't raise the book off the table and just read it from there, solves the problem of it falling or hitting a model.

Chuck777
07-13-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm pretty sure PHOTO-COPYING, the pages will accomplish the same thing he wants. (I actually put this in my original post)

Putting tabs on the main book will not, but is it so much not to hold it above models?

Edit,

Better yet don't raise the book off the table and just read it from there, solves the problem of it falling or hitting a model.

A lot of stores won't let you photocopy books and even if you did it on your own, many game stores will either look down on you and/or not allow them, even in tournament situations :(

But yes Tabbing and not lifting is good, so long as you have the room for the book, lol.

solemnclockwork
07-13-2010, 04:33 PM
A lot of stores won't let you photocopy books and even if you did it on your own, many game stores will either look down on you and/or not allow them, even in tournament situations :(

But yes Tabbing and not lifting is good, so long as you have the room for the book, lol.

Honestly if you don't have room for the rulebook, don't play in such a small space. I mean if your lap is taken up by something, then you have problems.

Stores won't let you copy your OWN book? At the very least let the owner know you have the original copy and/or just keep the book around if someone wants to nitpick.

Who really cares if somebody wants to "look down" on you? I"m sure the whole paint vs. painted argument has the same issue.

Tournaments should be checked in with beforehand, and as such are such event where you really shouldn't make a n issue out of having to bring the main book.

Next time think things over before nitpicking.

CitizenZero
07-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Stores won't let you copy your OWN book? At the very least let the owner know you have the original copy and/or just keep the book around if someone wants to nitpick. He meant that copy centers won't allow you to photocopy the book in their stores. Because it is copyrighted material.

I used to have trouble getting them to let me photocopy the cover of White Dwarf for using on my store calendars WHILE WORKING for GW haha...

Almost more importantly, after you posted your initial solution to his problem...why do you care if he "nitpicks" your idea? It's his book, he could burn it if he wants...

solemnclockwork
07-14-2010, 02:10 AM
He meant that copy centers won't allow you to photocopy the book in their stores. Because it is copyrighted material.

I used to have trouble getting them to let me photocopy the cover of White Dwarf for using on my store calendars WHILE WORKING for GW haha...

Almost more importantly, after you posted your initial solution to his problem...why do you care if he "nitpicks" your idea? It's his book, he could burn it if he wants...

Here's the thing that you both are doing that nitpicking that really doesn't work and very annoying.

A general statement like "get it copied" INCLUDES all ways of accomplishing said task. Using such a narrow examples as a way to kill my point is disingenuous to me, AND makes me have to defend such statement by point. I'm sure at least most everyone if not everyone has access to a home printer or KNOWS somebody who does. Which makes the statement that you have to go to a store to accomplish this MOOT.

Chucks reply to my first post was highly redundant because it ignores half of what I posted. With that said, he is is not the original poster who started this thread, so my help was not aimed at him nor was it really a discussion point.

I care because I have to write redundant things to defend my position, it affects me and is HIGHLY annoying to say the least. Point is why do you care so much to bother me to such an extent?

It amazes me I'm having to right this right now, when originally all I was trying to do was give helpful tips to somebody doing something that may very well end up nagging them.

CitizenZero
07-14-2010, 02:23 AM
Here's the thing that you both are doing that nitpicking that really doesn't work and very annoying.

A general statement like "get it copied" INCLUDES all ways of accomplishing said task. Using such a narrow examples as a way to kill my point is disingenuous to me, AND makes me have to defend such statement by point. I'm sure at least most everyone if not everyone has access to a home printer or KNOWS somebody who does. Which makes the statement that you have to go to a store to accomplish this MOOT.

Chucks reply to my first post was highly redundant because it ignores half of what I posted. With that said, he is is not the original poster who started this thread, so my help was not aimed at him nor was it really a discussion point.

I care because I have to write redundant things to defend my position, it affects me and is HIGHLY annoying to say the least. Point is why do you care so much to bother me to such an extent?

It amazes me I'm having to right this right now, when originally all I was trying to do was give helpful tips to somebody doing something that may very well end up nagging them.My home printer does not allow me to photocopy pages from my BRB. Nobody I know has a home printer that would allow me to photocopy pictures from my BRB. In fact, I can only conceive it being possible with a copy machine or a scanner, I don't own these or know anyone that does.

You don't have to defend your position, because you don't owe anything to anyone on this board...you may CHOOSE to defend your position, but know full well that if OP liked your idea in the first place you wouldn't have to. Your point was made, you think he should photocopy it...rest assured that if he doesn't photocopy it, you don't lose anything.

Warp
07-14-2010, 02:35 AM
If it were me, I'd wait until Island of Blood comes out for the mini book. The book lover in me cringes at the thought of damaging the BRB or any book for that matter.

Hehe, agreed. I freaking love the new book! So much stuff and so little time. To me, there's just so much more to the hobby and the BRB delivers.

solemnclockwork
07-14-2010, 02:51 AM
My home printer does not allow me to photocopy pages from my BRB. Nobody I know has a home printer that would allow me to photocopy pictures from my BRB. In fact, I can only conceive it being possible with a copy machine or a scanner, I don't own these or know anyone that does.

You don't have to defend your position, because you don't owe anything to anyone on this board...you may CHOOSE to defend your position, but know full well that if OP liked your idea in the first place you wouldn't have to. Your point was made, you think he should photocopy it...rest assured that if he doesn't photocopy it, you don't lose anything.

I really can't believe I'm having to do this right now.

Can a mod get this troll off my back?

I actually have one setting in the corner of my house.You can pick up a 50 dollar all-in-one printer (if not cheaper used). This just doesn't stand as a ground breaker.

Your example or better yet your situation is NOT the same as everyone, and is a logical fallacy.

Umm, its my position and my advice I have every right to defend it wither I see fit or not, this is NOT up for debate. Your point is completely MOOT.

Here's the thing you're missing, your not the op, chuck isn't so negative input (it wasn't constructive criticism) on my advice is NOT LIKED IN THE LEAST, more when it's not directed at you at ALL.

You really need to get off your high horse and stop picking fights.

So much for being a friendly gamer...

CitizenZero
07-14-2010, 03:19 AM
Haha...wow. You can say whatever you want, far be it from me to tell you when you shouldn't defend yourself. What I personally took offense to was this unwarranted and RUDE comment towards somebody ELSE on this forum:

Honestly if you don't have room for the rulebook, don't play in such a small space. I mean if your lap is taken up by something, then you have problems.

Stores won't let you copy your OWN book? At the very least let the owner know you have the original copy and/or just keep the book around if someone wants to nitpick.

Who really cares if somebody wants to "look down" on you? I"m sure the whole paint vs. painted argument has the same issue.

Tournaments should be checked in with beforehand, and as such are such event where you really shouldn't make a n issue out of having to bring the main book.

Next time think things over before nitpicking.

So you can ask for the mods to "get me off your back" but ultimately, you are the one who is trolling...your entire response to dude was condescending and uncalled for.

I say good day sir.

solemnclockwork
07-14-2010, 03:31 AM
Haha...wow. You can say whatever you want, far be it from me to tell you when you shouldn't defend yourself. What I personally took offense to was this unwarranted and RUDE comment towards somebody ELSE on this forum:

So you can ask for the mods to "get me off your back" but ultimately, you are the one who is trolling...your entire response to dude was condescending and uncalled for.

I say good day sir.

Citizen that's not your place to decide it really isn't. Personally that's between US two and NOT YOU.

I mean if you really want to pick a fight over the usage of nitpicking go right ahead I'm sure everyone and the original poster wants this to continue. That's not to say I didn't show my aggravation until my last post towards chuck, and that's really all it was.

Then if you really want to play on my responses then you really must realize in your the same boat. I wonder doesn't that make you the same here? High horse doesn't work.

CitizenZero
07-14-2010, 03:43 AM
Citizen that's not your place to decide it really isn't. Personally that's between US two and NOT YOU.

I mean if you really want to pick a fight over the usage of nitpicking go right ahead I'm sure everyone and the original poster wants this to continue. That's not to say I didn't show my aggravation until my last post towards chuck, and that's really all it was.

Then if you really want to play on my responses then you really must realize in your the same boat. I wonder doesn't that make you the same here? High horse doesn't work.I can decide how to perceive things however I want, and I am not sure what your point is anymore. You do understand that in a forum, some people are going to disagree with you...and that it is ok? Being defensive doesn't change that, it only breeds negativity.

You are right about one thing though, and for the sake of OP, I am not going to respond to you in this thread anymore.

Good day sir. Message me if you have a response.

Aldramelech
07-14-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm with Citizenzero here.

solemnclockwork if your advice was meant to be friendly it sure as hell didn't come off that way. Condescending would be a more apt description.

"Honestly if you don't have room for the rulebook, don't play in such a small space. I mean if your lap is taken up by something, then you have problems."

I'm with the op too. The book is far too large, its not a practical tool at all. Its got sweet FA to do with space or lack of it, its a bloody great big tome and I'm getting RSI just thinking about using it in day to day gaming.

rbryce
07-14-2010, 08:35 AM
i wouldnt spiral bind it myself, id get it done proper! there are book-binders still out there, and the quality is top notch(at least where i go). i recently started getting my wheel of time books leatherbound(i know, i love it too much) as the paperbacks i have are literally falling apart from use. if you can get a good binder near you, do it. it costs a fair bit depending on what you want, but you wont lose pages, get all creased etc. another idea may be a document binders (loads about for university uses such as thesis write-ups). i wouldnt recommend doing it to a new hardback book that cost lots of money though...

solemnclockwork
07-14-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm with Citizenzero here.

solemnclockwork if your advice was meant to be friendly it sure as hell didn't come off that way. Condescending would be a more apt description.

"Honestly if you don't have room for the rulebook, don't play in such a small space. I mean if your lap is taken up by something, then you have problems."

I'm with the op too. The book is far too large, its not a practical tool at all. Its got sweet FA to do with space or lack of it, its a bloody great big tome and I'm getting RSI just thinking about using it in day to day gaming.

But how much inches do you expect to save by spiraling the book? It's still going to take up around the same amount of room without the hard cover, minus a half an inch.

No the advice was more of a statement of disbelief that anyone didn't have the room for the book. Let's drop that point, nothing good came from it, and needs not to be brought up anymore.

RocketRollRebel
07-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Woah that conversation got heated... I was just gonna drop my 2 cents in with...

Why would you pay a bajillion dollars on that effin book just to chop it up!?!? Do what you like but please consider waiting for the mini rulebook!

Aldramelech
07-15-2010, 09:00 AM
But how much inches do you expect to save by spiraling the book? It's still going to take up around the same amount of room without the hard cover, minus a half an inch.

No the advice was more of a statement of disbelief that anyone didn't have the room for the book. Let's drop that point, nothing good came from it, and needs not to be brought up anymore.

I think you'll find the intention is to seperate the 145 pages of actual rules from the the rest, making the the book about a quarter of the size :rolleyes:

Chuck777
07-15-2010, 03:40 PM
I think you'll find the intention is to seperate the 145 pages of actual rules from the the rest, making the the book about a quarter of the size :rolleyes:

Yup, 2 spiral bound books - one for fluff and hobby, the other for rules. :D

scadugenga
07-15-2010, 07:54 PM
I am going to take my new 8th ed. rulebook to Kinko's to have the spine chopped off and then get it spiral bound. It's my intention to only put the necessary pages in and leave out the fluff.

It appears that I shouldn't just do it with the first 150 pages as there's good spell info in the back.

In your opinion, what pages should be in a 'cut down' version of this book?

My inner bibliophile shudders at the thought of you doing this.

I'm with the umpteen other folks who say "just get the IoB minibook when it comes out."

solemnclockwork
07-16-2010, 01:02 AM

Perhaps I didn't make it clear?

I was referring to the actual length of having both pages out. Then again, at that time I didn't think that with spiral books you can fold it in. So in hindsight, at least making the book half the size of the original lengthwise. Kinda killing that whole point.

Inquisitor Hate Machine
07-17-2010, 02:44 AM
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/GhastlyOneEyedMinno/WTFamIreading.jpg

Aldramelech
07-17-2010, 03:15 AM
You shouldnt post pictures of Big Red, its not nice..........