PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 8th ed FAQs are up

carrotcolossus
07-09-2010, 02:36 AM
Hey all,

The warhammer 8th ed FAQs are up (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=&pIndex=1&aId=3000006&start=2). It seems like they haven't done anything to try and balance the old Lores out with the new ones, though for Tomb Kings they have made them playable.

Aldramelech
07-09-2010, 03:26 AM
Cheers carrotcolossus. Nice one.

DarkAngelHopeful
07-09-2010, 06:57 AM
I know I've asked a similar question before, but I wanted to get a feel for how you all interpret the FAQ for High Elves and their ASF rule.

The FAQ says, "Q. The Speed of Asuryan special rule states that “all High Elves have the special rule Always Strike First, regardless of the weapon they are wielding.” How does this interact with a great weapons Always Strike Last? (p43)

A. The army book will take precedence in this situation. For example, a Sword Master would strike first with his great weapon. If his Initiative value is equal to or higher than his opponent’s, he will also benefit from a re-roll to hit."

I haven't been able to see a copy of the 8th edition rule book. So, my question is this, regardless of initiative if a unit has ASF then they still always strike first, correct? And in the case of High Elves, if the initiative value is equal to or higher they get to re-roll to hit, right?

Also, are the re-rolls applied to all units in any army with ASF or just High Elves? And does anyone know if it's every round of combat?

I apologize if this has already been discussed or any apparent ignorance on my part for not knowing the new rules.

Respectfully,
DarkAngelHopeful

Quaade
07-09-2010, 07:26 AM
No, ASF still follows the normal initiative rules for strikes first, it now gives the reroll as you said, regardles of being a HE or not.

The exception is that if you are equipped with a Great Weapon, then you get the Always Strike Last rule. If you have ASF and ASL at the same time, you lose your ability to reroll hits, but you strike in I order.

HE are an exception to this and will get the reroll even with Great Weapons, yes, Sword Masters just got upgraded from OMG Pain! to WHY GOD?? WHY!??

The ability to reroll is permanent, as long as I is equal to or greater than your opponent.

Old_Paladin
07-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Does anyone find it odd that a Vampires Corpsecart does get thunderstomp from being a large monster, but a Chaos Warshrine does NOT!

DarkAngelHopeful
07-09-2010, 07:40 AM
No, ASF still follows the normal initiative rules for strikes first, it now gives the reroll as you said, regardles of being a HE or not.

The exception is that if you are equipped with a Great Weapon, then you get the Always Strike Last rule. If you have ASF and ASL at the same time, you lose your ability to reroll hits, but you strike in I order.

HE are an exception to this and will get the reroll even with Great Weapons, yes, Sword Masters just got upgraded from OMG Pain! to WHY GOD?? WHY!??

The ability to reroll is permanent, as long as I is equal to or greater than your opponent.

Re-rolls are cool. So, if I understand correctly, ASF doesn't really make you strike first, or is it that if two models have ASF then the one with the higher initiative strikes first? I'm a little confused still. If High Elves don't get to strike first, then I'm a little bummed. I guess they still have pretty high initiative anyway...

Quaade
07-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Always Strike First does no longer make you strike before others, however, from the wording of the FAQ it does seem that HE strikes before anyone else, regardless of I, they also get the reroll if their I is equal to or greater.

Old_Paladin
07-09-2010, 08:53 AM
The Order of attack goes like this:

1) The unit with ASF [if you additionally have higher init., you re-roll hits]
2) If both have ASF you go by init.
3) If a unit has ASF and ASL it counts as normal init.
4) Normal init.
5) ASL

Only High Elves ignore stage 3. Giving many of their units 'hatred light' for free against most enemies and making units like white lions and swordmasters some of the best infantry hitters in the game.

eldargal
07-09-2010, 09:02 AM
The irony being that anyone with decent muscle tone can move a two handed sword/axe/etc just as fast as a one hand sword/axe/etc. Not so much with some enormous great big hammer perhaps. Every single fantasy setting makes this mistake. *grumble grumble*

DarkAngelHopeful
07-09-2010, 10:13 AM

4) Normal init.
5) ASL

Only High Elves ignore stage 3. Giving many of their units 'hatred light' for free against most enemies and making units like white lions and swordmasters some of the best infantry hitters in the game.

This is just they way I needed it broken down. Whoo hoo for High Elves and ASF! =D

Quaade
07-09-2010, 11:21 AM

4) Normal init.
5) ASL

Thanks, I had missed that they always striked first regardless of initiative.

However, it's not hatred light, it's hatred max as it continue round after round of combat and comes with none of the downsides with the additional bonus of always getting first blood.

CitizenZero
07-09-2010, 11:28 AM
"Hey, is there any way that we can make this FAQ to help us sell more core-sets of Island of Blood?"

"I have an idea..."

I love it!

Beta_Ray_Bill
07-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Swordmasters? Psh.

Skaven slaves got a massive boost! Steadfast stacks with Strength in Numbers, meaning stubborn LD10 tarpits.

Plus shooting at the unit they tarpit no longer hits the slaves, which isn't as fun, but it makes them much better in combo with globadiers or jezzails!

DarkAngelHopeful
07-10-2010, 12:19 AM
"Hey, is there any way that we can make this FAQ to help us sell more core-sets of Island of Blood?"

"I have an idea..."

I love it!

I understand where you're coming from, but to be fair, I was actually planning on playing High Elves as I was getting back into WFB at the very tail end of 7th ed. This just further confirms my decision. =D

CitizenZero
07-10-2010, 05:02 AM
I understand where you're coming from, but to be fair, I was actually planning on playing High Elves as I was getting back into WFB at the very tail end of 7th ed. This just further confirms my decision. =DHaha...it was just a joke, I was actually planning on starting a little High Elves force based on the rumor that they were going to be in the core set anyway, and that was assuming their speed of the asuryen had been nerfed...

...I just thought it was a funny coincidence...carry on! :)