PDA

View Full Version : Thudd Gun and Thunder fire cannon

Pendragon38
07-08-2010, 02:27 PM
So the Thudd gun in 2nd. Ed is the Thunder fire cannon in the 5th Ed. They have the same motorized tractor unit with a 10 av almost the exact same rules. with a SM operator

harrybuttwhisker
07-08-2010, 02:33 PM
And? the thunder fire rules are in fact an amalgamtion of the mole mortar and thudd gun rules.

Melissia
07-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Yes, GW has a long history of taking ideas from other factions and giving them to Marines.

HsojVvad
07-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Just like how SM can now run, when before it was Fleet for other races. SM have them for free now. Quite coincedence, everyone has it for free, unless you are using an older codex wich you had to pay for it, and then you are out of luck. Just paing for an over expensive unit then.

But GW taketh, and giveth, to SM. Nothing new. You will get use to it. :p

Connjurus
07-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Just like how SM can now run, when before it was Fleet for other races. SM have them for free now. Quite coincedence, everyone has it for free, unless you are using an older codex wich you had to pay for it, and then you are out of luck. Just paing for an over expensive unit then.

But GW taketh, and giveth, to SM. Nothing new. You will get use to it. :p

Not true. The fifth edition rulebook clearly states that any non-vehicle unit can run in the shooting phase instead of firing a weapon. Only those units with the "Fleet" special rule can ASSAULT after doing this running movement, however. Which not all Space Marines have. Unless Shrike is in the army.

HsojVvad
07-08-2010, 06:03 PM
So what is really the differnce between 4th edtion fleet and 5th edtion run? The both bet to move a D6 if they choos not to fire. What the difference is? In 4th edition units had to pay for it, in 4th SM and everyone else gets it for free.

Who benifited the most? SM. Are you saying that SM could move D6 instead of shooting in 4th edtion?

Lane
07-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Forgeworld has rules for the Thud Gun in one of the IA books, renamed Quad Launcher.

Melissia
07-08-2010, 09:55 PM
So what is really the differnce between 4th edtion fleet and 5th edtion run?

Who benifited the most?

1: Stupid comparison . The mechanics are different now.

Eldar can now move 12" + d6" + 6" and enter into assault if they choose not to fire.

Marines can move 12" + d6" but cannot fire or assault, or they can move 12" + 6" and assault after firing.

So Marines can move 18" and assault, or move 12+d6" and not assault. Eldar can move 18+d6" and assault-- they now have a 24" assault threat range. If you want to tell me Eldar don't ahve their movement advantage anymore, and that they did not benefit at all from this change, I will point at you. And then uproarious laughter will issue from my mouth.

2: Orks.

Xas
07-09-2010, 05:15 AM

Eldar can now move 12" + d6" + 6" and enter into assault if they choose not to fire.

Marines can move 12" + d6" but cannot fire or assault, or they can move 12" + 6" and assault after firing.

So Marines can move 18" and assault, or move 12+d6" and not assault. Eldar can move 18+d6" and assault-- they now have a 24" assault threat range. If you want to tell me Eldar don't ahve their movement advantage anymore, and that they did not benefit at all from this change, I will point at you. And then uproarious laughter will issue from my mouth.

infantry movement is 6".
no eldar vehicles are open so if you'd use the 12" vehicle movement they couldnt assoult anyway.

Denzark
07-09-2010, 05:37 AM
What the hell is this thread about?

The Thunderfire fires like a Mole Mortar. Which incidentally was available to all imperial forces - I have one which came with a space marine crew. The Thudd gun has re-appeared in the guise of a DKoK quad launcher.

I don't understand what Hosvjjadvdssjasd is talking about run vs. fleet. Or Melly's 12" + for marines and eldar.

HsojVvad
07-09-2010, 09:04 AM

??? I guess if the SM have Jump Packs they move 12"+ D6, but what about the ones without them? Don't they just move 6"?

So can vehicles Run as well? Is this what you mean? I am confused now.

Melissia
07-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Herp der-derp. I've been reading up too much on WFB 8th Ed. and their 2d6" movement.

chromedog
07-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Non-vehicle units that aren't bikes/jetbikes can run instead of shooting.
So that's infantry, jump infantry, monstrous creatures and walkers (who move as infantry).

Fleet in 5th just allows assault AFTER running, something Marines can't do unless they have shrike or Orks can't do unless they get a good waaaagh! result. MOST eldar units have it, and can move-run-assault for a combined threat range of 12+d6".
Dark eldar are even worse. Open topped transports. Move 12", disembark (2"), RUN, Assault for 20+d6" threat range.

Nothing new on GW taking from one faction and giving it to SM. They're the poster boys. They are the GW gravy train.
As has already been noted, the thudd gun and mole mortar were available to ALL imperial factions first up (SM, guard and squats could take them).

titan eddy
07-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Yes, GW has a long history of taking ideas from other factions and giving them to Marines.

so true