PDA

View Full Version : MAgnetizing the New Fire Prism/Nightspinner

Crotch Lictor
07-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Has anyone tried to magnetize the new turret on the Fire Prism/Nightspinner kit? I'm putting a couple together and want to try and keep both options open. The way the pieces fit together look a little funkier than other Eldar tanks, so it doesn't look as straightforward to me.I've heard tha pnning might be a better option, but I'm still open to suggestion. I've thought about magnetizing the small oval covers over the gun ports but still ain't sure.

Any advice?

Also, will the new turret fit on the Wave Serpent or Falcon kits? One of my new kits had an extra turret sprue and I would like the option for a 3rd Fire Prism/Nightspinner if possible.:D

DrLove42
07-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Yes it will fit on a falcon/wave serpent base, they're identical kits, bar the turret.

As for magnetising it i considered it, but it just seemed too tricky. A more competent person might manage it, but since you only get 1 "hinge" you magnetise the "covers" on the 2 sides, and then carve the magnets into the groove where the weapons connect to it. You'd need thin magnets, and a steady hand.

Alternativly, don't use your gift turret on another tank. Make the turrets permanantly and just swap them out.

m1nd1ess
07-07-2010, 02:56 PM
It actually does not end up being that bad. If you look at the Night Spinner/Fire Prism actual gun bits there is a wedge shaped piece where it fits into the bottom part that is on the axle for the gun to go up and down. If you cut that off and file the plastic down, you can put magnets here and in the base area to hold the barrels on. Then when you put the top protective piece on, you will just slide the barrel piece in for it to click and magnetize in. Hope this isn't too confusing.

Faolain
07-08-2010, 11:11 AM
I magnetized the kit. Here's how I did it :

http://awakeningynnead.blogspot.com/2010/06/magnetizing-new-night-spinnerfire-prism.html

Crotch Lictor
07-08-2010, 12:07 PM
I magnetized the kit. Here's how I did it :

http://awakeningynnead.blogspot.com/2010/06/magnetizing-new-night-spinnerfire-prism.html

Thanks Faolain! That looks like a great method an looks like it'll work with the magnets I already have!

I also saw your article that showed off your magnetized Trygon. Did you ever work up a tutorial? I'd love to see one. I have two kits, and will likely magnetize at least one. I've done Hive Tyrants, Cranifexes and a Warrior/Prime conversion, but the Trygon looks a bit more complicated.

Faolain
07-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks Faolain! That looks like a great method an looks like it'll work with the magnets I already have!

I also saw your article that showed off your magnetized Trygon. Did you ever work up a tutorial? I'd love to see one. I have two kits, and will likely magnetize at least one. I've done Hive Tyrants, Cranifexes and a Warrior/Prime conversion, but the Trygon looks a bit more complicated.

The only hard part is the head. The trick is to use greenstuff settings, like I show in the fire prism tutorial. I'll get around to writing it one of these days.

fuzzbuket
07-26-2010, 02:15 PM
i magnatiosed mine but kept the hubcaps of the spinner for both and magnestised it at the base of the gun*

it was a bit more effort but less magners

* this part
(the stars are the magnets (fire prisim gun)