PDA

View Full Version : 40k Spear-Gun?

LoverzCry
07-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Now, I recall that some of the Space Marine units, namely those that appear in the Horus Heresy and in some of the more Primarchial guardian portraits, that have these Spear-Guns. Is there a less... stupid name for such weapons? Or are they just kind of unnamed?

erwos
07-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Don't BA Dreads have a magna-grapple that's essentially the same thing?

Just_Me
07-06-2010, 12:54 PM
I assume he means the Guardian Spear as seen here (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/a/ac/Custodesimage.jpg/180px-Custodesimage.jpg), traditionally wielded by the Adeptus Custodes.

LoverzCry
07-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Hey hey! Thats it : D Thanks a lot mate, now back to the World Cup : P Go Netherlands!

HsojVvad
07-06-2010, 02:04 PM
The link that Just Me gave reminds me of the Halbreds that the Grey Knights use. So what about the GK weapons? Is that what you are asking for? They are the only ones that I know of, but then I do not know much. But check out GK minis.

rbryce
07-06-2010, 02:08 PM
done something like this for my biker sister, i did some research and discovered that a sarissa was in fact a macedonian pole arm (in alexander the greats force they were long spears about twice the height of the soldier). so i set about adding a mini bolter from the space marine bike kit to a brettonian lance, then added poweer weapon bits to 40k it up.

Just_Me
07-06-2010, 08:37 PM
The link that Just Me gave reminds me of the Halbreds that the Grey Knights use. So what about the GK weapons? Is that what you are asking for? They are the only ones that I know of, but then I do not know much. But check out GK minis.

Those are the Nemisis Force Weapons, and most commonly take the form of a pole-arm like a glaive (rather than a halberd in the strictest sense), or sword, though sometimes more rarely an axe, hammer, or other weapon. Some of the oldest Grey Knights models depicted them as glaive/bolter combination weapons much like the Guardian Spear, but all modern versions separate the weapons. It's not really clear if this is an actual "in universe" change, or just a change to the model line (personally I'm inclined to think that latter, but plenty of good arguments could be made for the former).

To the best of my knowledge the Custodes are the only force actually equipped with the Guardian Spear as standard weapon, though there very easily might be similar weapons and/or "one-off" unique weapons of similar design in the 40k universe, and rbryce's model sounds like a very cool and interesting example of this. As a point of curiosity on that note, do you use house rules for including the bike? or do you use "count's as" rules for something else? In any event, can you tell us where we could find pics of the conversion? it sounds pretty awesome.

rbryce
07-07-2010, 12:33 AM
ill dig out my cam later and get some up, though quality will be low. as to rules, in pickups she counts as a seraphim superior with power wpn and bolt pistol. im worrking on house rules, its just not my forte.