PDA

View Full Version : 750 pt. Empire Gunline

Melissia
07-05-2010, 10:09 PM
I don't have the eighth edition rules in front of me, so bear with me as I do this. This is going for an all-handgunners theme, with a battle wizard to help with dispelling.

Hero:
(General) Captain w/Pistol, Handgun, Armor of Meteoric Iron, Icon of Magnus
Level 2 Battle Wizard w/Dispel Scroll, Wizard's Staff

Core
State Handgunners
-- 18 Handgunners
-- Musician
-- Marksman w/Brace of Pistols
State Handgunners
-- 18 Handgunners
-- Musician
-- Marksman w/Brace of Pistols

Special
Grand Cannon
Mortar

Effectively, two ranks of ten handgunners, with a cannon in the middle and mortar somewhere behind the lines. Captain and Wizard join separate squads to complete the ranks, probably near the middle.

Aenir
07-05-2010, 10:51 PM
It may just be me, but I would drop the mortar for a Volley Gun or Helstorm, seems to bit that much more dangerous. Perhaps also instead of a brace, outfit a marksman with a hochland long rifle? (I cant recall, dont have my empire book with me) so you can snipe the occassional character :)

Melissia
07-05-2010, 10:52 PM
That would require more points than a 750 point list has available to it...

eldargal
07-05-2010, 11:20 PM
I like it. Packs a punch and with, say, Nuln colours makes a nice themed and fluffy army.

Aenir
07-06-2010, 01:32 AM
How about this as a 1000 pointer?

Hero:
Master Engineer:
Light Armor:
Hochland Long Rifle:

Level 1 Battle Wizard x1:

Core:
Handgunners x20 (1):
Musician:
Standard Bearer:
Marksman:
Hochland Long Rifle:

Handgunners x20 (2):
Musician:
Standard Bearer:
Marksman:
Hochland Long Rifle:

Detatchment 1:
Spearmen x10:
Shields:
Sergeant:

Detatchment 2:
Spearmen x10:
Shields:
Sergeant:

Special:
Pistoliers x5:
Musician:

Great Cannon x1:

Rare:
Helstorm Rocket Battery x1:

Comes out to 1000 on the dot, to cut to 750 Drop the Detachments and the Rocket Battery

I figured the way this breaks down, you have alot of shots and 3 instances of hochlands tossing out aimed shots into the fray.

You get a bit of stand and slug it out with the spearmen, and the Outriders are there to threaten and act as a mobile gap plugger

Melissia
07-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Psst, you really don't want to post points costs on individual units and upgrades...

Aenir
07-06-2010, 01:44 AM
yeah I forgot about that, thanks for reminding me :)

Old_Paladin
07-07-2010, 12:40 PM
I'd make the captain a BSB in full-plate and maybe even a magic banner (flaming is handy against anything with regen or flamable, and counts for shooting and melee); plus the additional CR and re-rolls for leadership tests.

If possible, I'd give the wizard (who would now be the general) the fear sword, it's cheap and could be really helpful even if the wizard isn't a good fighter.

Basically, just a few small changes to add some extra bonuses all-around.

Otherwise, it looks like a solid core for a starting force. The mortar is a great choice to offset the shorter range of handguns (longbows and crossbows won't be able to sit outside your range, or they'll be pounded by artillery).