PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Lighting

RebelGrot
07-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Hey all, here's one for the window-less and night time painters;

I've recently moved and no longer have space to paint using daylight (sob) plus the main room light I now have is behind me, therefore my painting table is mostly in shadow (sob again).
I tried using a halogen desk lamp but it kinda whited out the models (too bright) and dried the paint to quickly (too hot/too close). Do I just need a bigger lamp so the bulb is further away or should I invest in daylight bulbs or such?

Not the most exciting question, I know, but what do people find the best set up?

Cheers all, any feedback or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Col.Gravis
07-05-2010, 06:47 AM
Of the two I tend to favour Halogen these days, though I agree the light is very 'white', but then I tend to use it in conjunction with daylight if that makes any sense.

For an area without natural light a daylight bulb will probably serve you better IMHO.

Sign Ahead
07-05-2010, 08:17 AM
I use a "natural light" (aka "full spectrum", aka "balanced light") compact fluorescent bulb in my desk lamp. The color is excellent, and it's cool enough that I can handle it even after it's been on for several hours. I bought the brightest bulb I could find, a "150 watt" bulb that puts out as much light as a 150 watt incandescent bulb but only uses about 50 watts of power. So now my tiny, 60 watt desk lamp shines like a much larger fixture without the danger (or heat) of using an over-sized bulb in a tiny lamp.

Electrical engineers out there, please double check me on this. I'm pretty sure this is safe, but some confirmation from a knowledgeable person would set my mind at ease.

Ironfaith
07-05-2010, 09:38 AM
I use a small desk lamp in conjunction with a daylight halogen bulb
it doesnt get too hot and its perfect light. But then again ive also moved to using them in my celling fan as well.

harrybuttwhisker
07-05-2010, 11:59 AM
I use three daylight lamps, positioned at my ten, twelve and two o'clock positions plus regular bulb in the ceiling light and if day time then light from the window next to my desk, more light is good.

Le Scriv
07-05-2010, 03:31 PM
I use a "natural light" (aka "full spectrum", aka "balanced light") compact fluorescent bulb in my desk lamp. The color is excellent, and it's cool enough that I can handle it even after it's been on for several hours. I bought the brightest bulb I could find, a "150 watt" bulb that puts out as much light as a 150 watt incandescent bulb but only uses about 50 watts of power. So now my tiny, 60 watt desk lamp shines like a much larger fixture without the danger (or heat) of using an over-sized bulb in a tiny lamp.

Same - the natural light bulb works great and doesn't ever get too hot to touch.

I'm also in the same boat right now where I don't have any natural light left (there's a window but due to the time of year it's dark at around 5 which doesn't give any time after work).