PDA

View Full Version : Tomb King Magic in 8th Edition

whitestar333
07-04-2010, 08:38 AM
So at my LGS the store owner has recently become zealously obsessed with 8th edition Fantasy rules. In the course of learning the rules, we all have come to question how Tomb King magic is supposed to work in 8th edition. He has been adamant that Tomb Kings are unplayable currently under the new rules.

He states that since the Tomb Kings book states that Liche Priests do not generate power dice and that since bound spells now mean that you must roll over the power level, the Tomb Kings incantations cannot be used.

First, no casters generate power dice anymore anyway, as the Winds of Magic is something that is done every turn, independent of any casters. Proof of this is that armies which have no wizards at all still generate the power dice. I can agree to an argument that Tomb Kings cannot use 'channelling' to get extra dispel or power dice, but they still have access to power dice.
Secondly, the Tomb Kings book specifically states that "incantations are automatically cast like a bound spell, with a power level equal to 2D6 in the case of a Liche Priest, and 3D6 in the case of a High Liche Priest." My argument is that the key phrase is 'automatically cast' not the 'bound spell' part. He tried using some grammar terminology with which I am unfamiliar, but I'm pretty sure that even if bound spells change, the 'automatically cast' part is more important. While I might not be familiar with the rules of grammar to sound pretentious enough, I do know that if I say "Bill is stupid like an ant" and we later find out that ants are pretty smart, that doesn't change the fact that Bill is stupid.

At any rate, is anyone else playing Tomb Kings using the 8th edition rules, and what have you decided regarding how their incantations work?

P.S. Among the group that I play with, they agree that I should just be able to treat the incantations as they were in the last edition, especially since people add their caster levels to their dispel attempts, it's not overpowered at all.

twistinthunder
07-04-2010, 01:45 PM
So at my LGS the store owner has recently become zealously obsessed with 8th edition Fantasy rules. In the course of learning the rules, we all have come to question how Tomb King magic is supposed to work in 8th edition. He has been adamant that Tomb Kings are unplayable currently under the new rules.

He states that since the Tomb Kings book states that Liche Priests do not generate power dice and that since bound spells now mean that you must roll over the power level, the Tomb Kings incantations cannot be used.

First, no casters generate power dice anymore anyway, as the Winds of Magic is something that is done every turn, independent of any casters. Proof of this is that armies which have no wizards at all still generate the power dice. I can agree to an argument that Tomb Kings cannot use 'channelling' to get extra dispel or power dice, but they still have access to power dice.
Secondly, the Tomb Kings book specifically states that "incantations are automatically cast like a bound spell, with a power level equal to 2D6 in the case of a Liche Priest, and 3D6 in the case of a High Liche Priest." My argument is that the key phrase is 'automatically cast' not the 'bound spell' part. He tried using some grammar terminology with which I am unfamiliar, but I'm pretty sure that even if bound spells change, the 'automatically cast' part is more important. While I might not be familiar with the rules of grammar to sound pretentious enough, I do know that if I say "Bill is stupid like an ant" and we later find out that ants are pretty smart, that doesn't change the fact that Bill is stupid.

At any rate, is anyone else playing Tomb Kings using the 8th edition rules, and what have you decided regarding how their incantations work?

P.S. Among the group that I play with, they agree that I should just be able to treat the incantations as they were in the last edition, especially since people add their caster levels to their dispel attempts, it's not overpowered at all.

you generate 2d6 power dice per magic phase these can be used to cast bound spells in items/banners or dispell RiP spells. you cast your incantations on 2d6 (3d6 for high liche priests) they auto-cast like normal, if this guy needs to be told this he should GTFO.

according to bramgaunt on warseer the TK magic phase now looks like this (after FAQ):

6th Tomb King Magic Phase in 8th Edition. I looked this up in the Errata in my local store, yesterday.

1. Generate power dice, as usual.

2. Liche Priests are considered casters Lvl 1. High Priests are considered Casters Lvl 3.
TK Priests may not channel POWER dice, however, they may channel dispel dice.

Incantations: Work exactly like they worked before. You do not use power dice at all, but a fixed number of dice, determined by the caster (priests and high priests 2D6, kings and princes 1 D6).
You still don't get any bonuses applied, eg caster level or magit items (except for the staff of light of course)
All Incantations are determinded supportive spells, except for the damaging one which is a missile. Therefore you can cast all of them into CC.

Tchnically you could first use your 2 D6 PD to burn your power dice, and afterwards use your incnatations. Some items from the BRB might be interesting for TKs aswell. Like the bound fireball spell.

Dooley
07-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Sounds like this guy is A DINK. Whats his beef with TKs any way! Obviously the TK rule book overrides the NBRRB and all the incantations are "AUTOMATICALLY CAST" . Power Dice are irrelevant since they are "AUTOMATICALLY CAST" the d6 rolling is just for the sake of trying to dispel them. Im not sure how rolling under a 3 would work you may be SOL on that front but look at the the bright side you NEVER MISCAST! So thats a plus!

And if he doesnt like it just dont play him! I for one dont get to play too often so I would love to play anyhting I could! Tell him"there are Feining Gamers in Maine that would love to play my broke *** Tomb Kings! Now shut up and roll!"