PDA

View Full Version : We Can't Ever Pick Out Hive Tyrants?

Chris Copeland
06-30-2010, 05:00 PM
OK... previously, I thought that Hive Tyrants with Tyrant Guard CAN'T be picked out during shooting and CAN be picked out during close combat because shield wall means that they can join a unit of Tyrant Guard like Independent Characters... the new Tyranid Errata/FAQ sheet seems to indicate that Hive Tyrants with Tyrant Guard can NEVER be singled out...

To wit: If a Hive Tyrant... joins a unit of Tyrant Guard, is it treated as an Independent Character for the purposes of resolving... assaults (i.e. Independent Characters always count as separate units in an assault)? Answer: No.

Am I reading that right? Hive Tyrants can join a unit of Tyrant Guard and then (as long as the guard live) never get picked out?

Cheers. Copeland

Nabterayl
06-30-2010, 05:06 PM
You're reading that correctly. If it makes you feel any better, this puts hive tyrants and tyrant guard right back where they were in the last nid codex.

Melissia
06-30-2010, 05:15 PM
That is correct. It's the entire purpose of Tyrant Guard really.

Culven
06-30-2010, 05:24 PM
The FAQ is just a clarification that the Tyrant is never an IC, it just joins the Tyrant Guard in the same way as an IC. This is how I understood the rule when I first read it, and it was wishful thinking, IMHO, that lead to some claiming the Tyrant was an IC when joined to the unit.

HsojVvad
06-30-2010, 05:42 PM
SM players do not have to worry about this anyway. They just hide in thier vehicles anyways, so they can't assault.

Tynskel
06-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Uh oh. So much for WS 8, the tyrant's too busy controlling the Tyrant Guard.

Erasmus of Baal
06-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Isn't the Tyrant a Monstrous Creature, in which case we could pick him out? (I'm not very familiar with the Tyranids, so it's likely I'm wrong if no one else has pointed it out.)

Nabterayl
06-30-2010, 08:29 PM
From a min-maxing standpoint there's a lot to be said for only taking one tyrant guard, yeah.

lobster-overlord
06-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Isn't the Tyrant a Monstrous Creature, in which case we could pick him out? (I'm not very familiar with the Tyranids, so it's likely I'm wrong if no one else has pointed it out.)

This is what the Tyrant Guard negates. It turns him from an MC into a member of a unit for purposes of targeting.

Chris Copeland
06-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Actually, I'm very excited about this. I'm a Bug player and I'd thought that Shield Wall had been nerfed in this edition... I'm glad it hasn't been!

Tynskel
07-01-2010, 07:06 AM
overall, it is a nice thing that Shield Wall works the way it used to. I just have issues with WS8, you lose the ability to be hit on 5+ when you are with Tyrant Guard (Nab has pointed out that taking just one mitigates this.-- but unfortunately, Tyrant Guard won't last too long with just 1. I have always preferred two to three)

I had issues with this from the last edition too!

Chris Copeland
07-01-2010, 08:19 AM
overall, it is a nice thing that Shield Wall works the way it used to. I just have issues with WS8, you lose the ability to be hit on 5+ when you are with Tyrant Guard (Nab has pointed out that taking just one mitigates this.-- but unfortunately, Tyrant Guard won't last too long with just 1. I have always preferred two to three)

I had issues with this from the last edition too!

Sure, it gets to be a little easier to get hit when yer in a unit of Tyrant Guard, but you gain a big, meaty shield around your Hive Tyrant at the same time... also, I always run my Tyrant Guards with lash whips so that my opponents strike last and I usually put paroxysm on an enemy just before I charge into the fray with them... thus, making it harder for them to hit my unit...

cheers

MutantLoveFist
07-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Ouch. I know this is pretty much a 'Nid only thing, but shouldn't other armies have similar bodyguard rules as they often have bodyguard entries? I mean a space marine vet just won't let anyone, with a power fist say, hit their commander if they could help it. Sigh...so much for logic...

On the plus side I'll have to get me some Tyrant Guard now!

Tynskel
07-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Ouch. I know this is pretty much a 'Nid only thing, but shouldn't other armies have similar bodyguard rules as they often have bodyguard entries? I mean a space marine vet just won't let anyone, with a power fist say, hit their commander if they could help it. Sigh...so much for logic...

I guess the question is: is there anything left after the Captain and his Honor Guard charge? ;)

keithsilva
07-02-2010, 11:21 AM
You can still target him only with special rules, like doom, sergant Teilon, etc. I love the look on a person face when I doom that one special guy in his whole squad and he dies, priceless:D

HsojVvad
07-02-2010, 02:37 PM

Why should they? If you want to go by that Tyranids can do why can't others? Well Tyranids can't hide in tanks. Actually they have no vehicles at all. So does that means since almost every other codex has vehicles and can hide in tanks, Tyranids should as well? (I don't know if Deamons can do this or not so I left them out.)

Just because one codex can do something dosn't mean another codex should be able to do it as well. Otherwise why do we have DA, BA, SW and BT codecii as well? Maybe they should just be one SM codex then.

It's good to have different options that other armies can't have. That is why we play with different codex, to be different, other wise we can all use one codex and not have Elder, Choas, Tyranids, Tau, Necrons, DH, WH, IG etc etc.

Differnent options are good.

BuFFo
07-02-2010, 09:54 PM

Older Codices have this rule, it is called a Retinue.

Dark Eldar, for instance, use Retinues.

DarkLink
07-02-2010, 11:00 PM
As do Grey Knights.

BuFFo
07-03-2010, 12:07 AM
As do Grey Knights.

Ack!

Melissa, would you stop making every thread about your stupid Witch Hunters?

Wait a sec....

I meant....

BuFFo, would you stop making every thread about your stupid Dark Eldar?

Wait... that ain't right either.....

Oh I got it now....

DarkLink, would you stop making every thread about your stupid Grey Knights?

There.... That's better...

the jeske
07-03-2010, 03:13 AM
grey knights are demon hunters.