PDA

View Full Version : GW official UK tournament admits army imbalance?

miteyheroes
06-30-2010, 02:28 AM
So the UK official set of Tournament rules are called the "Throne of Skulls". http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1240394a_ToS_Rules_Pack.pdf is the link.

Basically, you play 5 games. Each win gives you 3 points, draw gives you 1, loss gives you 0.
At the end of the whole tournament you pick one army that was your favourite to play against (combining painting & sportsmanship & so on), and give that army a Favourite Army vote. You get 1 point if you get 1 Favourite Army vote, 3 points if you get 2 Favourite Army votes and 5 points if you get 3+ Favourite Army votes.

At the end of (say) the 40k Throne of Skulls they give a prize to the best SM player, the best BA player, etc etc etc. Then the player that has beated their army's average score by the most wins the overall prize. So the overall winner is NOT the player that gets the most points, but the player that gets the most points whilst playing with the codex that is weakest (or that only n00bs play)?

Fascinating, really. Shows the designers admit there is Codex Creep, or at least that some armies are stronger than others.

Based on those rules, which army would you go for? I guess SMs have the advantage that a lot of SM players aren't that good so the average score won't be high, but it can be made quite brutal so a good player could win a lot of points?

If you're the only player of an army, incidentally, the average score is assumed to be 5.

Mauglum.
06-30-2010, 04:35 AM
Hi.
So after the lead game developer said
'...the games are just the icing on the cake...'
' ...the most important rule is the rules are not that important...'
'...the PV are just a guide for pick up and play games...'

GW core games are not developed with ballanced competative play in mind.Ask any of the game developers :eek:!

No news here, move along.
(Those gamers who want to play GW core games competativley will continue to do so , despite the games unsuitability.)

TTFN

Aldramelech
06-30-2010, 06:32 AM
No truth in the news, no news in the truth.

Col.Gravis
06-30-2010, 07:00 AM
The system is curious, and a really big step away from the previous Throne of Skulls tournaments which has caused some dismay amongst a fair proportion of the regulars by the seems of it, it's not really a Tournament anymore, more of a hobby event so the UK does'nt really have an official Grand Tournament event now.

miteyheroes
06-30-2010, 07:12 AM
The system is curious, and a really big step away from the previous Throne of Skulls tournaments which has caused some dismay amongst a fair proportion of the regulars by the seems of it, it's not really a Tournament anymore, more of a hobby event so the UK does'nt really have an official Grand Tournament event now.

There's possibly room here for some canny player to set up a really hardcore tournament, hoover up the disaffected folks... It'd be unofficial, but it'd be better than nothing?

Col.Gravis
06-30-2010, 07:29 AM
There is, though I'd not be one of those signing up for hardcore tournaments, Throne of Skulls used to be a nice middle of the road tournament event catering to hardcore players right through to those who are of a less competetive nature, now we have just one extreme.

Luckily we do have a good number of unofficial events already across the country which are just about right, just not on the same scale though, though alot cheaper. The old Throne of Skulls got you between 6 & 12 games of 40k over two weekends if you qualified in your heat (the final was free), for the same price (£55) you now get 5 games with no final, thats what really breaks it's back for me, I've been going since 2003, this year I won't be.

Herald of Nurgle
06-30-2010, 07:59 AM
There's possibly room here for some canny player to set up a really hardcore tournament, hoover up the disaffected folks... It'd be unofficial, but it'd be better than nothing?
*rings up Warhammer World*

Aldramelech
06-30-2010, 08:09 AM
*rings up Warhammer World*

Your not allowed in WH World, they never did get all that slime out of the carpet! ;)

Col.Gravis
06-30-2010, 08:09 AM
From an email from Andy Joyce if anyone was serious in pursueing it.

To extend this one stage further, we have a free to hire venue that players can make use of if they wish to run their own gaming events here if there are those who want to have a crack at doing it for themselves.

Denzark
06-30-2010, 02:59 PM
This really ticks me off. I was looking froward to this, 2009 was the first I went to and had got a cunning plan on and everything. Now it is some fluffy cack, with most points above average for your race!

Now I'm not a hard core nose-slitter tourney freak but I liked the frisson of veteran, serious gamers - I didn't have to worry about nicey-nicey to teach a new player, or being generous when somebody forgot a phase or something - just crack on and if you make a mistake its the fog of war.

I will still probably go this year (and might take my Necrons so I actually have a chance of 'champing' at something ha-de-bloody-ha!) but everyone else needs to kick and scream to turn it back to the much loved format.

PS I would RV with similar Brit players at WW n.p. (clocked a cheap hotel opposite a hooters in Nottingham) but I would also get a leave pass signed to come down south as there seems to be some quality down in the SW - I would love to man up to THE Col Gravis or even grind Mr A's troops beneath my tracks like a King Tiger pulling a 180 turn on a russian slit trench...

Aldramelech
06-30-2010, 03:06 PM
This really ticks me off. I was looking froward to this, 2009 was the first I went to and had got a cunning plan on and everything. Now it is some fluffy cack, with most points above average for your race!

Now I'm not a hard core nose-slitter tourney freak but I liked the frisson of veteran, serious gamers - I didn't have to worry about nicey-nicey to teach a new player, or being generous when somebody forgot a phase or something - just crack on and if you make a mistake its the fog of war.

I will still probably go this year (and might take my Necrons so I actually have a chance of 'champing' at something ha-de-bloody-ha!) but everyone else needs to kick and scream to turn it back to the much loved format.

PS I would RV with similar Brit players at WW n.p. (clocked a cheap hotel opposite a hooters in Nottingham) but I would also get a leave pass signed to come down south as there seems to be some quality down in the SW - I would love to man up to THE Col Gravis or even grind Mr A's troops beneath my tracks like a King Tiger pulling a 180 turn on a russian slit trench...

Legionary is usually 1st May every year, book yourself in The Travel Lodge and I'll show you the bright lights of Exeter!

Warhammer World could be fun, but christ knows how Id afford it.

Denzark
06-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Legionary is usually 1st May every year, book yourself in The Travel Lodge and I'll show you the bright lights of Exeter!

Warhammer World could be fun, but christ knows how Id afford it.

I'll hold you to that - must sing out about it nearer to the time.

Denzark
07-01-2010, 11:17 AM
I have got some extra info on this having spoke to a GW MO troll, I added it as a NEWS item if you want a look.

Col.Gravis
07-02-2010, 02:18 AM

Aye Legionary is worth the visit for a nice little fun tournament! My club, Exeter Inqisition, are also hoping to run a larger tournament event next year all going well.

Cossack
07-02-2010, 10:37 PM
You take a friend who plays the same obscure army as you. One of you sandbags it, losing every game, and the other goes for wins.

Renegade
07-03-2010, 07:46 AM
I dont see anything wrong with those rules, a great player with a good sportman like attitude and a well painted ary is likely to do best, while a WAAC player that brings something with just a few colours on the models and tries to Rules Laywer his way though is likely to do badly.

Seems fair to me.