PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Opinions of GRIND

Bigred
06-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Hi folks.

I just got a copy of GRIND and will be giving it some coverage on BoLS soon. I'm looking for people's opinions and a quick rundown of its history, as I've heard it has gone through other editions (that I cant find anywhere)

Also, any cool pics of painted up versions of it, or do most people just play with the out of the box plastic untouched?

-Larry

lordbubonicus
06-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Hi Bigred,

I can't help you out with my opinions of Grind, as I've never played either version. I can, however, clear up the history side a little.

Grind was originally released in No Quarter (the Privateer Press magazine) as an alternative way of playing warmachine. It was originally in NQ #10 according to the contents index on the Privateer Press forums, with an FAQ in #11. From what I remember reading about it, the original version was substantially different to the new boardgame version. It was based around a warcaster and their battlegroup, with new profiles for the warcasters for use with Grind. Moreover it used standard Warmachine warjack rather than the generic versions, with odd upgrades, that are in the new version.

That's about all I can tell you about it I'm afraid, having not played it.

FastEd
07-02-2010, 04:30 AM
Like lordbubonicus said, Grind's previous version was just a variant on the standard Warmachine rules. Having played a few games, it was a lot of fun. A good pallet cleanser for a game of army men that was, at the time, being taken way to seriously.

The boardgame, which I am an owner of, is a lot of fun. The rules are simple, but lead to a decent level of strategy. It does, however, tend to be a low scoring game as playing defense is a bit easier then the offensive side the of game. This, however, makes the game tend toward aggressiveness in play, making for some entertaining plays. The plastic minis are well made, especially for a board game, and the board and cutouts are sturdy. Add this to the different strategies you can pull off by customizing the load out of each 'jack and good times are had, especially when a few beers are involved.

As for painted sets, I know a few who painted up their sets like they painted up their Space Hulk sets, unfortunately I don't have any pictures. After a quick search online nothing turned up either, but maybe you'll have better luck.