PDA

View Full Version : Brass etched symbols

Ryanironwolf
06-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Trying to understand what they are intended for and how best to use them. Are they just for adding to models for the super detailing or is their use more involved? Just trying to decide how they might fit into my modeling. Thanks for the responses and sorry for the noobish question.

SotonShades
06-28-2010, 07:40 AM
Yeh that's pretty much it. I'm sure you could do more with them, but they are quite weak and couldn't really be used as a structural componant of the model. They are flexible enough to be bent around most curves on 40k models, even the smaller ones. Be warned, they are sharp. I've cut my fingers on the large Imperial Eagles a few times.

Ryanironwolf
06-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Yeah a friend got some recently and that was why they had come to mind. Having handled them I can see they could be lethal to fingers. hehe. Thanks for the response. Was just checking to see if there was a deeper use for them. Just didn't see alot of use out of some of them because they are so thin. Still I guess if its malleable and can be molded over stuff. Are there any good tutorials regarding it?

RedScorpionsGirl
06-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Trying to understand what they are intended for and how best to use them. Are they just for adding to models for the super detailing or is their use more involved? Just trying to decide how they might fit into my modeling. Thanks for the responses and sorry for the noobish question.

I suggest taking a look at the article I wrote for BOLS, Working with Brass Etches, it will give you an idea of how, well, interesting they are to work with. Generally speaking they are for adding extra details, say on a command vehicle, or in place of the doors for tanks if you already have them assembled. I've worked with them extensively, and find them to be a great source of detail for something special, but very time intensive to work with and paint to make sure they are just right in the end.

Any questions after reading the article, feel free to PM me!

Ryanironwolf
06-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Thank you so much for the reply RedScorpionsGirl! I actually stumbled upon your link and blog after I left this yesterday and found it very informative. I appreciate the time you took to write it. I've been considering getting some to play around with as a result and think they might just be worth the extra effort especially after seeing a friends Blood Angels set. They were very detailed.

I'll give it a gander for sure. Thanks again for the help!