PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on fighting daemon hunters

Rafen
08-12-2009, 06:27 AM
I use blood angels and have a hard time when i fight daemon hunters. I have read the codex for the ordo malleus and understand how they work but still find them a difficult army to face. Anyone have any tips?

Jwolf
08-12-2009, 06:39 AM
I find a half-dozen Rhinos full of Assault troops tends to handle anything Daemon Hunters have nicely. If they're running Land Raiders with Terminators in them, you'll want to bust those Land Raiders, so take Meltas. If you can't bust the Land Raiders, try blocking them in with Rhinos and Speeders (not simple, but possuble).

If they're taking hordes of IG allies, Speeders become more important. MM/HF Speeders are very good for killing anything IG, and not a bad choice in any case.

Rafen
08-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Thanks Jwolf! It will give me an excuse to get a couple more land speeders in the future :).

Guardnut
08-12-2009, 07:09 AM
I play demon hunters myself and tend to use a lot of stormtroopers as foot sloggers and with the new guard codex, they are even tougher as the hellguns are now AP3 marine killers.

The assassins can be fun to use when using DH as they can cause mayhem. For fighting the terminators take as many lascannons as possible and keep mobile to prevent them getting into close combat.

Dingareth
08-12-2009, 09:10 AM
You realize that Stormtrooper Hellguns are still Ap 5 if you take them from the Demon Hunters book? And I'm pretty sure that that's the only way to get them in a Demonhunters army...

Craz
08-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Firstly, Inquisitorial Stormtrooper hellhuns are still ap5. They're hellguns, not hot shot lasguns, mate.

Secondly, as a fellow BA player, I feel the pain. Perhaps you could tell us a little about what the common DaemonHunter player in your area fields? If it's just Grey Knights in Land Raiders, I personally recommend Multi-melta attack bikes. They're brilliant for their fifty points, and fielding them in squads of two(at least two squads) is a benchmark for cracking AV 14. However, if he's drawing a lot of Guard 'draftees', I recommend looking into the Heavy Support options in your codex. Vindicators and Whirlwinds both can wreak havoc on Guard.

Rafen
08-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Well most of the time since i work midnights i don't get too many games in but. My brother usually fields the stormtroopers and gets them in the chimera and then if its a big enough game its bandblade and leman russes for his heavy support. I would just pull out my orks and beat him down with my Mr. potato head stompa but just love my blood angels! (first army back in third edition :D) And when i go to the bunker most of the people their just paint there daemon hunters so i don't get to many games with them. I just get frustrated when playing my brother and him constantly winning.Some times its good to have bragging rights :) for a week. I have no problem facing other armies but that and eldar.

Inquisitor Malak
08-12-2009, 07:52 PM
My brother usually fields the stormtroopers and gets them in the chimera and then if its a big enough game its bandblade and leman russes for his heavy support

:eek: I'm sorry, he brought a Baneblade? Thats half your problem right there. Leave super-heavies for Apoc, they're broken in regular 40k.

Could you tell us a little bit more about his army list? I find it odd he's giving you so much trouble (Baneblade notwithstanding). IST's are bolter fodder largely, their only use is as plasma/melta caddies (because GK's can't take those weapons). DH Chimeras are stupidly overpriced and ineffectual, and the maximum number of Russes he can have is 1 (RAW is no squadrons, although if you're happy to allow the 'Ard Boyz FAQ, he can take up to 3 in a squadron).

So, after clearing up those issues, here are my recommendations;

HQ:

Dante: Whats not to like? He's decent in close-combat, packs a meltagun for popping enemy Landraiders, and his aura of badass makes your Assault Marines scary as hell. I'd probably attach him to either an Assault squad or a Death Company unit; the former is Troops (and thus scoring), the latter is nearly free, has FNP and makes GK's cry in close-combat.

Corbulo: He's pretty easy to kill, but his 'Furious Charge' aura is too useful to not take. So, my solution would be to attach him to a unit of Assault Marines (I'd go for 3 x twin-LC's and 2 x TH+SS), pack the whole lot into an LRC. When you get into assault range, leave Corbulo inside the LRC and charge out the Terminators.
If you don't take the Assault Terminators+LRC combo, buy a Rhino for the Death Company (thus forgoing jetpacks) and put him in with them (attaching Dante to a Assault squad). Bum-rush in the middle of your horde of Assault Marines, leg it after the Rhino dies. Remember to keep Corbulo inside the Rhino, he's pretty fragile.

Elite:

Death Company: They're free, pack FNP and slap GK's around in combat. Keep them near Corbulo's LRC (maybe hiding behind, so they can co-ordinate an assault with the Assault Terminators), that way they won't charge off into his sights. Jump packs are a must.
If no Assault Terminators, Rhino+Corbulo is a good delivery system. He keeps them in check, they annhilate enemy units in combat.

Assault Terminators: Personal preference. If he's got no GKT's, these guys are overkill (regular Assault Marines and Death Company will quickly kill his Grey Knights). As a hammer unit though (after buffs from Dante+Corbulo), they match BT Assault Terminators, and will quite easily slap down GKT's and even a Grandmaster.

Troops:

Assault Marines: As many squads as you can fit in. DH's (even with IG allies) are not great at tackling MeQ's outside of combat, they rely on ganking you with massed fire. 3-4 x 10-man squads with Sarge powerfist will cost a lot, but he can't kill them all and with Dante+Corbulo buffs, they'll overkill IST's and grind down Grey Knights (you will lose about half you squad, due to their S6, but your initial charge+continued powerfist walloping will kill them off).

Fast Attack:

Attack Bikes: Landraiders present a problem to your army, as do allied Russes. Multi-melta Attack Bikes can pop them open pretty quickly, and he has few good counters (massed fire will plink off T5 and 3+ saves). Charge them into IST squads if all his armour is dead, or shoot up his Terminators.

Heavy Support:

Landraider Crusader: I'd only take it if you take the Assault Marines. If not, don't worry about it.

Vindicator: Makes DH cry. AV13 is hard to break open short of meltaguns (which you can intercept, thanks to the speed of Assault Marines), and the S10 blasts will hurt his GK's, IST's and Guardsmen (even with cover). Use it to bomb enemy positions you can't initially assault.

So, regardless of what kinda DH army you face, Assault Marine-heavy backed up by Dante+Corbulo is hard for DH's to counter. They don't have anywhere near the firepower to kill all those MeQ's, and once you reach combat it's all over (you have the numbers and hitting power to seal the deal). His few vehicles will be tough (Landraiders require Attack Bikes, Dreadnoughts can be punched up by Sarges, Russes die to kraks+powerfist against rear AV10), but you have the tools at your disposal to open them up.

Decaf_Wonk
08-13-2009, 03:48 AM
I personally recommend Multi-melta attack bikes. They're brilliant for their fifty points, and fielding them in squads of two(at least two squads) is a benchmark for cracking AV 14.

Amen.

Never thought of these guys for my marine army - until I was having a bit of whinge fest at the local store; one of the members there politely pointed out this often overlooked option. Once you turbo boost these guys into place, they'll either attract all the available attention so it's a fairly cheap disraction OR be ignored and hopefully (with a little blessing from the dice gods) rip through some armour the next turn....

08-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Amen.

Never thought of these guys for my marine army - until I was having a bit of whinge fest at the local store; one of the members there politely pointed out this often overlooked option. Once you turbo boost these guys into place, they'll either attract all the available attention so it's a fairly cheap disraction OR be ignored and hopefully (with a little blessing from the dice gods) rip through some armour the next turn....

Must be nice to wake up and start playing 5th edition finally.

Rafen
08-15-2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I scrapped up enough money to order Corbulo before my wedding :). Dont know why i never picked him up. Probably from using lemartes all the time in 4th.