PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy first army

pgarfunkle
06-23-2010, 10:08 AM
A friend and I are thinking of getting into fantasy when the new rule book rolls around, he is thinking either High Elves or Ogres and I'm thinking Wood Elves or Lizardmen.

Aside from an intro game using the new rule book I know very little about fantasy as I've always played 40k. My question is what are peoples thoughts on the Lizardmen and Wood Elves armies, not so much which is more powerful etc but what are their play styles like.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

T-ORK-amada
06-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Wood elves are the equivalent to Tau in a way. They excel at shooting with their core units but are pretty squishy in h2h. They have no actual heavy cav, but have excellent fast cav. Wood elves are pretty much a army that relies on out flanking and lots of shooting. They do have limited close cambat with the dryads and tree kin, but they fall pretty fast to magic. Very much a finesse army.
On the other hand, Lizardmen are a very versatile. they can excel at magic, have great close combat potential, and can generate a lot of shooting. Their leadership rules and the toughness of the Saurus Warrior make for a very forgiving army. It is a perfect starting army because it has the potential to cover all bases of the game in one army, depending on the way you build it.

pgarfunkle
06-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the response , I've been off on hols otherwise would have got back sooner.

After talking to a few guys in my local store I got the same impression, unfortunately still split on them. In fact I may go from having no fantasy army to having 2, or even 3 with Dwarves as well!

If only I had the time... and money!