PDA

View Full Version : Millennia and Teleport

BuFFo
06-21-2010, 05:34 PM
This is going to sound odd, but for the past two decades, I have noticed that just about every program under the sun always informs me that the two words;

Millennia and Teleport

Are misspelled.... Even spell check never seems to be able to remember these.

I remember using these words in the mid 90's, and getting spell errors on them. To this day, Microsoft Word, and various website forums, including this one, will tell me the word is not spelled correctly.

Am I the only person who has noticed this?

gwensdad
06-21-2010, 09:26 PM
This is going to sound odd, but for the past two decades, I have noticed that just about every program under the sun always informs me that the two words;

Millennia and Teleport

Are misspelled.... Even spell check never seems to be able to remember these.

I remember using these words in the mid 90's, and getting spell errors on them. To this day, Microsoft Word, and various website forums, including this one, will tell me the word is not spelled correctly.

Am I the only person who has noticed this?

According to this old printed dictionary (Webster's 9th Collegiate) Millennia isn't listed. The possible use to state multiple groups of 1000 is "millenary" as in "Several millenary passed"
(and strangely, Firefox says THAT is misspelled!)

The same dictionary does list "teleport" as a short form of "teleportation" (both of which FF also just listed as misspelled)

BuFFo
06-21-2010, 10:20 PM
I just don't think Microsoft has ever hired anyone who has bothered to put either word in their programs.

Neither did the Firefox people apparently....