PDA

View Full Version : Rules clarification on mixed weapons

Mike X
06-20-2010, 12:53 AM
I was re-reading the rules book last night, and it just dawned on me: I think I've been playing all wrong.

For the longest time, I've been playing as a Tactical squad (for example) with all bolters and a heavy weapon have moved, then none of them can shoot.

For some reason, my thought process just made me think that since heavy weapons models cannot move and shoot, it would disable the shooting for the rest of the units too.

And the worst part is, in over 2 years of actual play, no one has corrected me.

So, just to make sure I'm correct now... if a squad of mixed weapons (such as mostly rapid fire and a heavy) moves, the heavy cannot fire but the rest of the unit still can?

Sir Biscuit
06-20-2010, 12:58 AM
You are correct. Only the heavy weapon cannot fire.

In other news, you might want to find a new gaming group. ;P

SeattleDV8
06-20-2010, 04:02 AM
To be fair, Bolters (a rapid fire weapon) can only be fired up to 12" if you move.
You must be stationary to fire the 12"+ to 24" range.
You probably haven't been cheating youself too badly.

RampageRabbit
06-20-2010, 09:10 AM
It appears I've had things wrong as well. I thought bolters could fire up to 24" if they moved but only once.

Sir Biscuit
06-20-2010, 10:29 AM
All rapid fire weapons can always fire two shots at 12", or if you didn't move, they can fire one out to their maximum range.

Culven
06-20-2010, 12:10 PM
And the worst part is, in over 2 years of actual play, no one has corrected me.
Probably because you weren't breaking the rules. You are allowed to not shoot if you so choose. Also, if your opponents assume that you understand tactics, then they aren't likely to point out how you can do more damage to their force. If they were teaching you to play, then the should point out how to make your force more effective. Otherwise, they don't really have any reason to point out your tactical errors.

Mike X
06-20-2010, 02:46 PM
In other news, you might want to find a new gaming group. ;P

My thoughts exactly. I actually just "transferred" gaming groups last week, to be honest.

But for some reason, I just presumed no one could fire. In retrospect, I can't justify why I thought this. But still, I can't believe my gaming group never made note of it. In 2 years! I feel like a schmuck.

BlackKnight15624
06-20-2010, 03:45 PM
It appears I've had things wrong as well. I thought bolters could fire up to 24" if they moved but only once.

I think that was true back in 4th edition, where you could move and shoot once, or stand still and shoot twice.

Nabterayl
06-20-2010, 04:43 PM
I think that was true back in 4th edition, where you could move and shoot once, or stand still and shoot twice.
Nah, you're thinking of 4th edition pistols. 4th edition rapid fire was shoot twice up to 12", or shoot once up to 24" if you haven't moved.

I think what confuses people about this is that the rule is often stated as shoot once up to full range, or shoot twice up to 12", or shoot twice up to 12" if you've moved. That makes it sound like shooting twice is the special case, whereas in reality it's shooting once at full range that is the special case.

DarkLink
06-20-2010, 05:03 PM
My thoughts exactly. I actually just "transferred" gaming groups last week, to be honest.

But for some reason, I just presumed no one could fire. In retrospect, I can't justify why I thought this. But still, I can't believe my gaming group never made note of it. In 2 years! I feel like a schmuck.

Heh, never correct your enemy when he is making a mistake:D.

Mike X
06-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Heh, never correct your enemy when he is making a mistake:D.

While I can totally understand that statement, my allies in team battles never mentioned it either!

DarkLink
06-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Then, er, I guess never stop someone from doing something that makes you chuckle at them behind their back, I guess:rolleyes:?

Culven
06-21-2010, 02:33 PM
I think what confuses people about this is that the rule is often stated as shoot once up to full range, or shoot twice up to 12", or shoot twice up to 12" if you've moved. That makes it sound like shooting twice is the special case, whereas in reality it's shooting once at full range that is the special case.
Only if someone explains it like that. The rulebook states that Rapid Fire weapons fire twice to 12" (with no mention of movement) or once to max range if the unit didn't move. For some reason, some players infer that two shots is only when not moving, possibly due to old rules being stuck in their minds.

Lerra
06-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Otherwise, they don't really have any reason to point out your tactical errors.

Ah, but isn't that part of what a gaming group is for? I'd expect someone I'd known for years to point out any odd tactical choices at the end of the game. That's standard practice in my group, at least.

murrburger
06-21-2010, 04:33 PM
What I'm interested in is... how did your group play RF/Heavy weapons?

Did you notice something was up when you played them? Or did they do the same thing as you?

Mike X
06-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Ah, but isn't that part of what a gaming group is for? I'd expect someone I'd known for years to point out any odd tactical choices at the end of the game. That's standard practice in my group, at least.

Yeah, personally I help point out things to my fellow players whether they're my allies or opponents. Just keeps things fun and fair.

What I'm interested in is... how did your group play RF/Heavy weapons?

Did you notice something was up when you played them? Or did they do the same thing as you?

I'm the only Marine player in my group, so I never paid any attention to whether they were fielding any heavy weapons or how they played them. I know little to nothing about non-Marine weaponry.

murrburger
06-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Wow, ****ty deal, dude.

Hope your new group is a good one.

Culven
06-22-2010, 11:23 AM
It depends upon the group. This isn't standard practice in my group. We typically don't sit around and discuss the game afterward as most players don't have the extra time. We might mention a particularly memorable event as we pack up, but not tactics.