PDA

View Full Version : 8th Addition Rule Book Poll

Aldramelech
06-19-2010, 05:54 AM
Lets see what the general feeling on this is.

Old_Paladin
06-19-2010, 07:46 AM
I think there should be both kinds of books; even though myself personally, I'd only get a small one.

DarkAngelHopeful
06-19-2010, 08:02 AM
I also think there should be both a BRB and a LRB. I believe this simply because not everyone is the same. Some people want a BRB with lots of fluff, like myself. And others want a LRB with just the rules, also like myself. Some people don't want to buy Island of Blood for the little rule book.

Although I am a bit of a fan boy, I totally understand not wanting to pay an arm an a leg for rules or models. I'll probably buy GW stuff until I die for many reasons, but one in particular, is that it brought me and my two life long best friends together. For that alone, I have a soft spot in my heart of GW.

In the end I think options for different rule books is the best bet.

Respectfully,
DarkAngelHopeful

Emperorsmercy
06-19-2010, 09:11 AM
I couldn't see the harm in releasing a cheaper 'just rules book', I'm sure many in the communty would be pleased with this. Still, I guess that's what Ebay is for.

j-orge-287
06-19-2010, 09:17 AM
I have seen the new rulebook with my own eyes and i would happily buy that over a small rule book-it is awesome

cypher623
06-19-2010, 10:03 AM
I have seen the new rulebook with my own eyes and i would happily buy that over a small rule book-it is awesome

I agree. It is a thing of beauty.

BlackKnight15624
06-19-2010, 10:06 AM
I agree that it is a beautiful book that's awesome- I just don't need its hobby content, and I don't need to lug that thing around whenever I want to play. Thus, I won't buy it (though I will enjoy perusing through it occasionally at my FLGS).

PS- It's 8th edition, not 8th addition.

Aldramelech
06-19-2010, 11:17 AM
I agree that it is a beautiful book that's awesome- I just don't need its hobby content, and I don't need to lug that thing around whenever I want to play. Thus, I won't buy it (though I will enjoy perusing through it occasionally at my FLGS).

PS- It's 8th edition, not 8th addition.

Cheers BK, didnt spot that.

UltramarineFan
06-19-2010, 11:23 AM

Same here, I just love the feel of a big harcover book with proper A4 pages, gets me all excited. :)

Aldramelech
06-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Now I like a big thick book as much as the next man, but you guys are going to have serious problems with the binding on that baby. The book is too thick for its own good and the binding will not be able to cope.

UltramarineFan
06-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Now I like a big thick book as much as the next man, but you guys are going to have serious problems with the binding on that baby. The book is too thick for its own good and the binding will not be able to cope.

Thing is I've heard people say similar things about codexes and how some of them just fall apart and have had to be re-bound and yet I have 6 codexes and 1 armybook and none of them have even had one page come out.

Aldramelech
06-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Thing is I've heard people say similar things about codexes and how some of them just fall apart and have had to be re-bound and yet I have 6 codexes and 1 armybook and none of them have even had one page come out.

Ive never had any problems with those either, and dont know anybody that has. A codex is not even a quarter of the size though, so I wouldnt expect them to.

RocketRollRebel
06-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Eh my space marine codex is getting pretty raged with pages getting lose and I dont even play marines so it doesnt get used as much as say my IG codex.

I still dunno about the new 8th book tho. I really want to get it but at the same time I'm trying to build an army and $75 is a big chunk of my budget for minis. But then again I doooo need the rules to play and it is an incredible looking book...sigh I dunno yet

CitizenZero
06-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Now I like a big thick book as much as the next man, but you guys are going to have serious problems with the binding on that baby. The book is too thick for its own good and the binding will not be able to cope.I have seen that issue with the codices/army books, but I have never had a problem with a book that was hard bound...ever. I own books that are thicker than this rulebook and are still good years later.

Aldramelech
06-20-2010, 02:03 PM
The Pathfinder book is a prime example Im told

CitizenZero
06-20-2010, 02:18 PM
The Pathfinder book is a prime example Im toldI guess I could see that with a RPG book, because it is constantly referenced...I own a book with more than 1100 pages that has held up fine after being read a few times...

Mauglum.
06-23-2010, 05:49 AM
HI all.
Personally I think a 'rule book' should just have rules in it.
A background book should have as many pretty pictures and inspiring stories as it can pack in.;)

This way customers can decide which books they want.
Collectors dont have to waste money on rules they wont use, Gamers dont pay for background they may not care about.

So you can buy one or both books depending on your hobby focus.

As you can get the Armies of Arcana rule book for £20 , and this includes acess to over 20 FREE army lists that are far more ballanced than WHFB.(The result of 8 years playtesting in the community.)

WHFB 8th ed 'big book' seems a little overpriced to me.

TTFN
Lanrak.