PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Battleboxes!....!!!!!!

CrashTestDummy
06-18-2010, 06:44 AM
http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2010/06/17/37063

I was wondering why we hadn't seen the 3rd sculpts for the original casters yet. Turns out they are plastic. I'm impressed by them too! When looking at the warjacks plastics when they first came out the quality was quite nice, but it seemed like the size to which they could scale the components down seemed limited compard to what they were able to acheive with pewter (mind you I haven't seen any of the plastic infantry up close, only jacks). But, knowing that the casters previewed in the Prime MKII are plastic means that there is no problem with scale and that they can still put out awesome sculpts in plastic. Looks like I will have to replace my demo boxes!!! Hopefully the delays that have occured with their plastic kits will be worked out and it'll go back to a more reliable schedule. Though, turning out such a high volume of product in one year is quite impressive!

Hjelmen
06-18-2010, 07:17 AM
!!!!

I'm loving this. It's going to be so much easier getting battleboxes done, and so much easier for new players to pick them up and assemble them. Also, the new plastic warcasters are all sorts of brilliant parts of various awesome animals!

Awesome, astounding, amazing news!

Faultie
06-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Awww, sweet! I'm totally going to ... wait...

Nope, no Mercs. Nevermind.

robertsjf
06-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Am I reading this right or is the plastic kit the exact same price as the metal?

GentleBen
06-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Awww, sweet! I'm totally going to ... wait...

Nope, no Mercs. Nevermind.

Are you in the same spot as me? Wanting to buy another Nomad/Mangler/Mule, but holding out in hopes of getting a cooler plastic version someday? We need to see some plastic merc jacks already.

Kirsten
06-21-2010, 12:38 PM
I like the look of these, never played Warmachine but I have been curious for a while, plastic boxes are very tempting indeed. Anyone know if a Retribution box is coming? Got to get me some tech elves.

CitizenZero
06-21-2010, 03:59 PM
It would have been truly awesome if they devised different model configurations to give people who already have the metal versions of the models another reason to buy...

CrashTestDummy
06-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Am I reading this right or is the plastic kit the exact same price as the metal?

Indeed it looks like the Plastics will be the same price as the metal.

I like the look of these, never played Warmachine but I have been curious for a while, plastic boxes are very tempting indeed. Anyone know if a Retribution box is coming? Got to get me some tech elves.

Unfortunately Retribution won't be getting a box, as is the case with mercs. Since the Retribution lights didn't come out in Plastic originally like the Retribution Heavies, I think they knew then and there that they wouldn't be making a plastic light kit for Retribution, which seems silly to me. But then again playing with little toy soldiers is quite silly.

Retribution is an interesting army, and quite powerful in my own opinion. They have regenerating force fields, which can make it a pain to get through and deal damage to them. Though, once you take down the forcefield, they begin to crumble. While they definitely favor shooting, they are elves after all, they can pack quite a punch in melee, especially with their Arcane Assasins and nasty Character Assasin solos. Best used like a scalpel, surgically stripping away your opponents key parts until their is nothing left but sweet sweet victory!

Kirsten
06-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Ok thanks. Given the release of plastic kits, and now the plastic battleboxes, I would guess the ultimate aim is an entirely plastic range, rather like GW? I presume mercs and retribution will get plastics at some point, even if there are no immediate plans, plastic is the sensible way to go.

Are there any decent online resources for info? The official privateer press website isn't terribly good, rather scant on details. It is hard to get an idea of play styles and back story from the brief paragraphs on there.

Galadren
06-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Meh, and I just bought a metal Battlebox for Menoth a month ago..

Just getting into the game myself.

CrashTestDummy
06-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Ok thanks. Given the release of plastic kits, and now the plastic battleboxes, I would guess the ultimate aim is an entirely plastic range, rather like GW? I presume mercs and retribution will get plastics at some point, even if there are no immediate plans, plastic is the sensible way to go.

Are there any decent online resources for info? The official privateer press website isn't terribly good, rather scant on details. It is hard to get an idea of play styles and back story from the brief paragraphs on there.

At the moment, the choice do to plastics for a particular model depends on the pricepoint. If it's cheaper to make it in plastic, then they are going to do so. If it's cheaper to make it in metal, then they will stick with metal. For example, the new Trencher Commandos are made from metal, even though they are a newer model. The Trollblood Fenblades however are plastic.

Retribution heavy kits are plastic, it's just their lights that aren't. I also suspect that their cavalry will be plastic, since we haven't heard a release date for them yet.

I personally would like to see the boards here become an excellent source of information for new players, so what sort of information are you looking for? Just fluff? Would you want faction summaries/write-ups? Tactics?

Kirsten
06-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Plastic heavies? Cool, that is the sort of thing I think they ought to make clear, what is plastic, what is metal etc. Personally I am not looking for tactics articles, no offense to the writers, but I never get anything out of them, I like finding out myself. What I would like is a good piece about how each faction plays, what their style is, maybe an idea of how many models you typically need for a force, and a bit about their history, motivations etc. Obviously not their whole history, that is what the books are for, but the faction guide is pretty poor on the website. The Retribution sound like my kind of force, Cygnar appeal too, as do the Legion.

mazgier
06-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Personally I am not looking for tactics articles, no offense to the writers, but I never get anything out of them
Ever tried to look into the No Quarter magazine?

Kirsten
06-22-2010, 02:34 PM
I haven't no.

CrashTestDummy
06-22-2010, 02:57 PM
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2009/12/warmachine-forces-of-warmachine.html

Here is a great summary of both the backstory and the play style of Retribution. The Myrmidon Plastic Heavy kit is the only current plastic model for their faction, but the one kit can make any of their 3 heavies. As I said earlier, I suspect their cavalry will be heavy since there has been such a long delay with them.

Cygnar and Legion are also range heavy in general, but are quite different. Cygnar has the disrupt ability, which is great for making most enemy jacks less than useful (they can't be allocated focus or channel spells). Also, Cygnar doesn't have access to a lot of AOEs, but they have a lot of electrical weapons which when they hit produce an electrical spark that leap to the nearest model and auto hit. Legion has some of the best heavy warbeasts in the game. A large portion of them, mostly their warbeasts benefit from eyeless site, which means they can ignore certain terrain and spells/clouds when drawing line of sight making it very hard to hide from them. Plus they have Epic Thagrosh. Enough said. If you hit him hard enough, the piece of him that you lop off becomes a lesser warbeast! There is more to say about them, and I think there should be write-ups for both of those factions as well if you do a search on the main page.

If you have more questions let me know.

Kirsten
06-23-2010, 11:43 AM
I shall have to pick up a few of these boxes and have a play, the BoLS articles are pretty good. Of the various books, obviously Prime mark II, and faction books, what are the other books, have they been replaced by the new rules, or still valid?

mazgier
06-23-2010, 01:01 PM
All the rules have been replaced so buy the old books only if you want to read some really good fluff included there.

Kirsten
06-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Ok thanks, good to know. It is that sort of information the PP site needs. I don't suppose someone could tell me if any of the infantry sets are plastic? I am guessing some are, given the huge range in prices that similar boxes cover.

mazgier
06-23-2010, 08:42 PM
AFAIK so far only PoM Bastions and LoE Blighted Ogruns. Not sure about the upcoming Khadoran MoW's. Basically so far only the medium based infantry has any chance to go plastic. Some price differences may also be connected with a fact that after Mk. II release the infantry boxes are being packed with enough models for a full sized unit where the "old style" ones only covered min-size.

CrashTestDummy
06-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Of the forces you're interested in, Mazgier pointed out the only plastic infantry set, the LoE Blighted Ogruns. In addition to this list of plastic sets, the Trollblood Fenblades are also plastic (and medium based).

Kirsten
06-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Hmm, that is a shame, assembling metal models is a real chore.

FastEd
06-25-2010, 02:19 AM
Just quickly chiming in to clear up that the PoM Cinerators are plastic as well, not just the Bastions. Also that just the LoE Blighted Ogrun Warspears are plastic, the Blighted OgrunWarmongers are not.