PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Scouts

Erasmus of Baal
06-15-2010, 05:49 PM
I've previously posted about potential uses for shotgun scouts, and it was largely concluded that they serve no purpose save dealing with high-Initiative targets. However, even moderate-Initiative targets can take out a power fist-equipped Scout Sergeant. So, my thought is, what if we use shotgun scouts to cut down on enemies that can strike quickly so that the Sergeant with a Power Fist will be more likely to survive and therefore slaughter? Thoughts? Better way to do it, perhaps?

LidlessPraetor
06-15-2010, 07:07 PM
My personal favorite with scouts is half with shotties, and the other half with pistol CCW, but I have to preface this by saying I play Dark Angels, and it's REALLY hard to justify using scouts in my list b/c they're an elite choice. Having said that, I like the shotguns for the times when you think you're out of assault range, you can still get respectible amounts of shooting from the unit. Generally speaking though, you don't want to shoot whatever you're about to assault, so the shotguns tend to be a waste, but I like the flexibility of the unit w/ mixed weaponry. The main point for scouts for me is just a way to get extra bodies closer to where my Ravenwing and Deathwing are going to be, thanks to their infiltrate.

plasticaddict
06-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Bolt pistol and Knife= 1 shot with pistol, 3 hand to hand attacks on the charge.

Shotgun= 2 shots with shotgun, 2 hand to hand attacks on the charge.

On the charge I think shotguns give you a slight edge vs other units with the same or higher inative and weapon skill. You have the same odds of inflicting wounds however the more wounds you inflict before assault removes attacks back, giving you better odds of winning the combat. IMHO

LidlessPraetor
06-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Failed to put this up there: my scouts are also BS 4 so the shooting phase gives me generally a better chance to do damage.

Erasmus of Baal
06-15-2010, 08:27 PM
My personal favorite with scouts is half with shotties, and the other half with pistol CCW, but I have to preface this by saying I play Dark Angels, and it's REALLY hard to justify using scouts in my list b/c they're an elite choice. Having said that, I like the shotguns for the times when you think you're out of assault range, you can still get respectible amounts of shooting from the unit. Generally speaking though, you don't want to shoot whatever you're about to assault, so the shotguns tend to be a waste, but I like the flexibility of the unit w/ mixed weaponry. The main point for scouts for me is just a way to get extra bodies closer to where my Ravenwing and Deathwing are going to be, thanks to their infiltrate.

That sounds like it might be a good idea for me, too--I love shotguns and so I want to take them, but Blood Angels Scouts have the potential to be incredible close-combat units paired with either Astaroth (for 1-3 Red Thirst) or a Sanguinary Priest (for FNP and Furious Charge).

Bolt pistol and Knife= 1 shot with pistol, 3 hand to hand attacks on the charge.

Shotgun= 2 shots with shotgun, 2 hand to hand attacks on the charge.

On the charge I think shotguns give you a slight edge vs other units with the same or higher inative and weapon skill. You have the same odds of inflicting wounds however the more wounds you inflict before assault removes attacks back, giving you better odds of winning the combat. IMHO

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about with the idea of using them against fast stuff (read: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Daemonettes, etc.). As an avid DOOM player, though, I know that I'm taking shotguns in advance and so I want to figure out some way to make them more useful, so I'm thinking that the power fist might do just that, especially since the scouts box only comes with 4 shotguns and I have a spare power fist sitting here.

plasticaddict
06-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about with the idea of using them against fast stuff (read: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Daemonettes, etc.). As an avid DOOM player, though, I know that I'm taking shotguns in advance and so I want to figure out some way to make them more useful, so I'm thinking that the power fist might do just that, especially since the scouts box only comes with 4 shotguns and I have a spare power fist sitting here.

I run my scout squads as; 4 scouts w/ sniper rifles, 1 w/ missile launcher and 4 scouts w/ shotguns, Sgt. w/ PF and a combi-melta or combi-flamer (50-50 in my scout army), in combat squads. It's worked well for me so far.

Wulff
06-16-2010, 06:30 AM
From a templar point of view.. we don;t have scouts persay.. we have neophytes.. and i usually run my crusader squads with 8 initate brothers.."regular space marine types.. 6 with bp and ccw and 1 with a melta and 1 with a Power fist.. along with my 6 neos.. 3 with CCw and bp and 3 with shotguns.. i do this for the distribution of wounds.. when my big crusader unit of 14 comes under attack.. via gun or hth.. i can allocate wounds first to my shotgun neo.. then a ccw/bp neo before i have to put a wound on a regular initiate brother then the melta then the pf.. it allows me to take high strenght hits such as missile or lascannons starcannons brightlance railguns.. and toast a neo instead of one of my more expensive templar brothers

So i'm not to worried about how well they shoot or if they do much damage.. i just want them to soak a high strenght attack well for the unit..

Wulff