PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me.

Khiran
06-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Is it just me or are there three Distinct stages of armies in 40k

1. The army you play

2. The army you are building.

3. The Next army you want to play/build

Just a random thought that went through my head today.

Herald of Nurgle
06-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Elaborate on that point, man?

BlackKnight15624
06-14-2010, 04:40 PM
I see your pattern- though often 1. and 2. overlap, as I like to play my army as I'm building it- I don't build to a set list.

Mike X
06-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Is it just me or are there three Distinct stages of armies in 40k

1. The army you play

2. The army you are building.

3. The Next army you want to play/build

Just a random thought that went through my head today.

The army I play is the army I build, and I don't plan on having a second army. I'm 4 years into this hobby, mind you, and I'm quite satisfied with what I have/play.

LidlessPraetor
06-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Wait til you get an army book 'upgrade' then you can't field your army like you used to, or even like you want to. I really feel bad for all those people who bought Elysian Drop Troops from forge world, and now have an army that's themed to Deep Strike, but can't.

plasticaddict
06-14-2010, 07:25 PM
1. Your favorite standby army, it may not be the best painted (if at all), it may not have all the models put together quite right (that gun is on upside down and what is up with that gap) and it for sure is not a power gaming list (10 ogryn? Really? Nobody runs that.) It may not look good or play well but you won't get rid of it and every once in awhile you get the urge to drag it out and play a few games.

2. The army you never get around to finishing and you don't have enough to play with.

3.The army you are playing.

4. The army you are building.

5. The Next army you want to play/build.

At least for me.

eagleboy7259
06-14-2010, 11:18 PM
1. Your favorite standby army, it may not be the best painted (if at all), it may not have all the models put together quite right (that gun is on upside down and what is up with that gap) and it for sure is not a power gaming list (10 ogryn? Really? Nobody runs that.) It may not look good or play well but you won't get rid of it and every once in awhile you get the urge to drag it out and play a few games.

2. The army you never get around to finishing and you don't have enough to play with.

3.The army you are playing.

4. The army you are building.

5. The Next army you want to play/build.

At least for me.

Man I never have it all laid out in steps like this. I usually have like a million different projects going at once, all of them usually not even fully assembled, and usually at least one army that is just a bit above 1500pts so I can game. The minute I buy and build one then I have instant regret that I didn't buy and build another. Then theres all the stuff that I bought and found out that I couldn't paint well or I started hating for whatever reason and they sit in there own separate pile ready to be sold to buy more new stuff. In almost 7 years in this hobby I've only ever finished 4 armies above 1500pts and only one 2500pts and I've tried starting literally every race in the game at some point. It's always a mish-mash of models, never any real coordinated thought.

pgarfunkle
06-15-2010, 06:16 AM
I have an army that I will always be building and adding to and playing (Blood Angels, and I have 2 secondary armies that I tinker with when I get the urge (Catachan and Steel Legion based Guard and Tyranids).

The Blood Angels have models in various stages from still in their box to fully painted. While the other 2 armies are mostly unpainted, in fact the Tyranids are still lurking in storage somewhere.

RocketRollRebel
06-15-2010, 06:53 AM
I'm always brainstorming about another new army but since I don't have the cash to throw around like I used to I try and keep my self very focused on very few armys.

I have my Vostroyan IG who were my first and I've got bucket loads of and after 4 years I have yet to get tired of the army.

I've got a half painted BA army thats been kicking around for about 2 years now. Nothing against the army it self but its mostly because I really do not like painting them! So I don't know if they will ever make it to a tourny at this rate.

My latest project is Beastmen as I take a plunge into Fantasy when 8th drops. Got tired of painting humans and thought the different system would be a more fun change of pace than starting a 3rd 40k army.

I do know a couple people who seem to be starting a new army every month or so tho and never actually end up playing any games or having a complete army.

erwos
06-15-2010, 07:38 AM
For me, it's been:
1. The army you play and maintain (Iron Warriors)
2. The army you're building (LatD)
3. The army you've got for friends, which is mostly stuff you picked up on the cheap (Orks)

I sold 3 to pay for 2 when I was in college, because my friends had armies of their own.

I sold 2 to pay for 1 when I realized GW had left the LatD list out to die.

Now, I've got more than a full FOC of Iron Warriors, and pretty much nothing else. I'm still deciding as to whether I want to invest in a second army or not. I have a couple of candidate ideas (IW-themed techno-daemons, traitor artillery regiment), but I am rather displeased with GW these days.

Lerra
06-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Right now I have:

1. The competitive army that plays well but looks like poo (Space Marines)
2. The army that looks great but plays like poo (Kroot Mercs)
3. The dream army that I have a few models for but will probably not complete for 5+ years (Browncoats/Death Korp)

Faultie
06-16-2010, 01:08 PM
3. The dream army that I have a few models for but will probably not complete for 5+ years (Browncoats/Death Korp)
Oh, I would love to see that!

CitizenZero
06-16-2010, 03:08 PM
This looked like fun, so here goes...

1) I have the Armies I can play good-sized games with, which at this point are in various levels of painted. - 40k Orks, Fantasy Tomb Kings, LoTR Easterlings.
2) The Armies I am working on currently, armies that I am currently hobbying on regularly. - At this point, just Fantasy Orcs
3) The Armies I want to do next, which I may already have unopened product for. - WoTR Dwarves, Adding to Tomb Kings.
4) The Armies I want to do in the future, stuff that is in the planning stages...many of which will probably never ACTUALLY come to pass :) - Fantasy Undead Pirate Dark Elves...sigh, a dream project...
5) The armies that I own, but either don't really play anymore or haven't worked on in ages. - 40k Necrons, complete but don't play. Fantasy Warriors of Chaos, 1500 points assembled and painted. -40k Space Marines, about 1500 points in various stages of assembly.
6) The random stuff I got just to paint...too much to keep track of but includes Orcs, Tyranids, Skaven, Harad etc etc.

In other words, I have TOO MANY PROJECTS! Haha. It's what I get for having hobby a.d.d. and a former job at GW. :/

Mike X
06-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Wait til you get an army book 'upgrade' then you can't field your army like you used to, or even like you want to. I really feel bad for all those people who bought Elysian Drop Troops from forge world, and now have an army that's themed to Deep Strike, but can't.

I've been playing for over 4 years now, so that means I've been through both a codex change (Space Marines) and a rules edition change (4th to 5th), and still didn't look to other factions.