PDA

View Full Version : Sanguinary Priesthood

Erasmus of Baal
06-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Every BA army list I've seen on here has only used up to 3 Sanguinary Priests. However, the rules say that 1-3 can be taken for a SINGLE Elites choice. So, could we have an army with 9 Sanguinary Priests (plus Honor Guard for a hypothetical 12)? I would think so, but some of the other people I've talked to are arguing that it's a 3-model limit.

And speaking of Honor Guard, I missed the conclusion of whether or not the Sanguinary Initiate counts as an Honor Guard unit for wargear upgrades and now I can't find the old thread. Does he?

06-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Every BA army list I've seen on here has only used up to 3 Sanguinary Priests. However, the rules say that 1-3 can be taken for a SINGLE Elites choice. So, could we have an army with 9 Sanguinary Priests (plus Honor Guard for a hypothetical 12)? I would think so, but some of the other people I've talked to are arguing that it's a 3-model limit.

And speaking of Honor Guard, I missed the conclusion of whether or not the Sanguinary Initiate counts as an Honor Guard unit for wargear upgrades and now I can't find the old thread. Does he?

Sanguinary Priests are not a 0-1 choice, so yes, it's possible to have 9 come from your elites slot. You are limited to taking Honour Guard for each 1 HQ choice you bring, so your total would be 11.

The likely reason that you're seeing people no more than 2-3 is because with that bubble the priests create, it's difficult to justify more than that. At least, that's my guess.

As for the Honour Guard squad, the structure is 4 Honour Guard, 1 Sanguinary Novitiate. I don't really buy into it, but the argument could be made that the Sanguinary Novitiate cannot receive any wargear upgrades outside of a jump pack (as the entire unit gets those). Similarly, if you upgrade a Honour Guard to a Blood Champion, the argument could be made that you cannot swap out his equipment for anything else as the wargear options suggest only Honour Guard can take those upgrades, as per the unit composition.

Erasmus of Baal
06-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Me, I'm only really getting started, but I keep seeing units being split more than 6" apart and thinking that i would at least be worth looking at equipping each one with a Sanguinary Priest, which is what brings this up.

I'm not sure I agree with that reading of the rules either, but I can't come up with anything better.

Thank you very much!