PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions from a recent game

MightyOrang
06-11-2010, 05:12 PM
1. Wolfpriest with Saga of the Hunter embedded in Wolf Scouts -- does he come in with THEIR reserve roll, or two separate ones? Think it's the later... hope it's the former.

2. Tau Gun Drones' LD = 'N/A' -- does that mean they're fearless?

Nabterayl
06-11-2010, 05:39 PM
1. Wolfpriest with Saga of the Hunter embedded in Wolf Scouts -- does he come in with THEIR reserve roll, or two separate ones? Think it's the later... hope it's the former.
If he's attached to the scouts in Reserve, then he comes in when they do. Behind Enemy Lines only requires that the unit Outflank, and a Wolf Priest with the Saga of the Hunter can do that with them. Compare the FAQ answer about wolf guard pack leaders joined to wolf scouts, which notes that a wolf guard pack leader can come on with the scouts despite the fact that he does not have the Behind Enemy Lines rule.

2. Tau Gun Drones' LD = 'N/A' -- does that mean they're fearless?
No, check the FAQ. Gun drones that are their own unit are Ld7. Shield drones and marker drones don't have a Leadership value at all, which is different from Ld0 and different from Fearless. Sniper drones are a weird case - the codex conflicts as to whether they're LdN/A or Ld7, and the FAQ provides no guidance. Personally I think they should be LdN/A, but there's no textual guidance on this matter.

MightyOrang
06-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks!

harrybuttwhisker
06-12-2010, 04:14 AM
The wolf scouts lose there behind enemy lines rule if an independent character joins them.

If the independent character has the scout rule, they use the same reserve roll to outflank but do not get the behind enemy lines bonus as unless stated independent characters do not gain a squads special rule.

If a wolfguard is attached to the unit, because he is a permanent addition ie not an independent character then its one reserve roll for the squad and yes you get the benefit of behind enemy lines.

AbusePuppy
06-12-2010, 04:56 AM
Hilariously, RAW, not only do the Scouts lose Behind Enemy Lines (as per their own entry), but they also cannot outflank because the attached Priest doesn't have Scout/Infiltrate, so they lose it as well. Saga of the Hunter is a terribly-written mess.

Tau Gun Drones are Ld7 when on their own; the other types of drones cannot exist on their own and are LdN/A. (There is, as far as I know, no way for a Shield, Marker, or Sniper Drone to exist on the field without its controller in play as well.) Of course, since the game does not have a way to deal with N/A as a value, you have to discuss with your opponent what happens if, say, someone shoots them with a Callidius Assassin or a Farseer uses Mind War. (My personal vote would be "nothing, you should've aimed at the controller instead," but you can roll with whatever you like.)

Nabterayl
06-12-2010, 03:03 PM
The wolf scouts lose there behind enemy lines rule if an independent character joins them.
Wait ... why? That isn't in the unit entry, and page 74 of the main rulebook doesn't apply because (i) Behind Enemy Lines isn't a universal special rule, and (ii) even if it were, it isn't marked with an asterisk.

If the independent character has the scout rule, they use the same reserve roll to outflank but do not get the behind enemy lines bonus as unless stated independent characters do not gain a squads special rule.

If a wolfguard is attached to the unit, because he is a permanent addition ie not an independent character then its one reserve roll for the squad and yes you get the benefit of behind enemy lines.
I'm not convinced this is the right analysis. It's true that "unless specified in the rule itself ... the unit's special rules are not conferred upon the character" (main rulebook 48), and hence the wolf priest does not have Behind Enemy Lines.

Consider, however, that a wolf guard pack leader does not have Behind Enemy Lines either - he becomes part of the unit when attached per the Pack Leaders rule, but he doesn't gain that rule, or Infiltrate, or Scout (c.f. the FAQ: "the fact that he [the pack leader] does not have the Infiltrate or Scouts ability does not preclude the squad he has joined from using those abilities.").

It seems to me that it follows from the above that Behind Enemy Lines can be used even if not every model in the unit has the rule. Hence, so long as an attached Independent Character could Outflank with the Wolf Scouts to whom he is attached, the entire combined unit could use Behind Enemy Lines.