PDA

View Full Version : Davy Crockett in Troll Form! Trollkin Skinner Preview

CrashTestDummy
06-09-2010, 09:48 AM
http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/trollbloods/solos/trollkin-skinner

Medium base man-hunter from the looks of it. Be curious to see if it has stealth. I think nothing in Trollbloods currently has it, but I'm not up to date with Hordes.

GentleBen
06-09-2010, 11:09 AM
I really hope he has something more interesting than just dismember. The emergence of so many pieces that are only effective against specific opponents has been one of my few MKII disappointments. That being said I'm sure I'll still buy one. Models too neat to pass on and I couldn't stand my troll collection being anything less than complete.

Baron Von Chaos
06-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Between this guy, Gunnbjorn, and the bomber, I now need to start a troll army. They look like fun to play.

CrashTestDummy
06-09-2010, 11:58 AM
I really hope he has something more interesting than just dismember. The emergence of so many pieces that are only effective against specific opponents has been one of my few MKII disappointments. That being said I'm sure I'll still buy one. Models too neat to pass on and I couldn't stand my troll collection being anything less than complete.

What pieces do you feel like have come out that feel effective against only specific opponents? I felt that way about Venethrax with him being tailored towards Hordes, but he is the only one that readily comes to mind.

GentleBen
06-09-2010, 01:13 PM
What pieces do you feel like have come out that feel effective against only specific opponents? I felt that way about Venethrax with him being tailored towards Hordes, but he is the only one that readily comes to mind.

Many parts of the Retribution army are much more effective against Warmachine though they can still hold their own against Hordes. Cygnar has a lot of abilities that don't matter against Hordes either. The Cygnar thing has always been true though and I guess that can't be called a MkII thing. Gun mages even got cheaper and lost their cortex killing shot so that's actually a win for the game imo. The Talon can be worth a lot more than its 4 points if it gets to stall a really expensive piece like the Avatar or Beast 09 before it gets killed, but doesn't seem worth the 4 vs. Hordes when the superior Vanguard is only 1 more point. There was also the Blood Hag that, prior to her errata, was brutally superior against hordes. Fortunately she got toned down a lot. I guess seeing Venethrax right after her abilities got spoiled made it seem like there was a trend developing that may not end up being as big a deal as it first seemed it might be. But I'm sure there are still a few more I'm forgetting.

CrashTestDummy
06-10-2010, 09:39 AM
I kind of like it when units are tailored, that way they feel like building blocks for the army. That way there is a plus/minus to each unit. I think that a lot of the units that are overly versatile are the auto-includes in a lot of army. The Black 13th for example are great against solos, mass troops, and light jacks, and are good at both shooting and melee. Yes they do have some deficiencies (no armor and can't take out high armor), but their versatility makes them a must in most Cygnar lists. I don't think it's a bad thing necessarily though, you do need to have both in the game. Having tailored units forces each force by a player to have some deficiencies usually, and it's up to each player to choose which ones he wants to protect or defend against. In the end I think I'm with you, I like models tailored for specific roles, not against specific opponents (as you mentioned, against hordes only or warmachine only).

Faultie
06-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Killed him a Warpwolf, when he was only 3...