PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for flying base for old Vulture

Ryanironwolf
06-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Since its the solid resin kit and the new bases are made for the valk kits with the cross style stand....any suggestions for making a flying base for it? My concern is the weight and the front heavy nature of the model. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Javin
06-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Try the new heroic statue from GW. You can use the statue as a strong, large base. Just cut it down to the right size.

Ryanironwolf
06-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Interesting. Brass wire then through the statue and maybe a solid wood base? I've never built one for one of these forgeworld models. Sorry for all the newb questions. Tis helping me brainstorm.

fade_74
06-08-2010, 02:38 PM
I use an oval wood base I bought in the craft section of walmart, and a length of clear acrylic rod from ebay. 3/8ths i think. I just drilled a hole in the bottom of my vulture that fits the rod and viola...instant flying base.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=3/8+acrylic+rod&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Ryanironwolf
06-08-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm thinking I want to do mine a little lower to the ground than the forgeworld and valk stands....That sounds good too. Definitely some food for thought.

TSINI
06-09-2010, 06:17 AM
I used a dremmel to cut the X shaped hole in the bottom of my resin vulture, allowing it to be mounted on the new flying stand

once the hole was cut, i put a blob of greenstuff on the top of the flying stand, and shoved it into the vulture, creating a shaped "bottom" of the hole

it takes a bit of patience but it fits right in with my valks now.

Mystery.Shadow
06-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Here's how I did mine. Oval wooden base from a Craft Store, Acrylic Rod obtained from eBay, Drilled the Acrylic Rod to accept some 'all-thread' and the female part into the Vulture.

http://album.warpshadow.com/d/56636-2/05310106.JPG

Enjoy!

Honda
06-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I used the Valk base, but drilled a hole in the clear part as well as the Vulture to accept a pin. It sits on it just fine and now all my flight bases will look the same.

The other suggestions were also good and would work.

Cheers,

crazyredpraetorian
06-09-2010, 10:57 PM
I have a base made with a craft store base and brass rod. I used it on my Valk before getting the new flying base. I'll be glad to send it to you for free, if you are in the US. PM me if interested.

Ryanironwolf
06-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks so much for the offer. I think I am going to attempt mounting on the new bases to make it fit in with the soon to be purchased Valks. I really appreciate the help for sure!

TSINI
06-10-2010, 10:38 AM
i would strongly suggest trying to cut into the vulture to make it sit OVER the stand. this way theres no fiddly modifications which create weak points, and its easy to remove the stand for transport

the model is quite heavy, but all you have to do is find the centre of balance and it will sit nicely on top.