PDA

View Full Version : Cadian Carapace armour?

TSINI
06-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Has anyone modelled carapace armour onto cadian models?

In theory all cadian guard should have a 4+ anyway due to them actually having armour plating on in the first place unlike the tallarn/valhallans/mordians/praetorians who just have "chain mail" knitted into their shirts...

I need to model my command squad up with carapace and i'm aprehensive of just putting greenstuff blobs onto the elbows and knees

i'm also trying to avoid the "riot shield" approach, these look cool, but won't fit my models or my fluff.

just wanted to see if anyone had come up with some nice simple ways of representing it - extended armour plating etc etc
i'm getting quite good with greenstuff so any challenging stuff will be great to see.

Cheers, TSINI

Faultie
06-04-2010, 02:29 PM
I would say you rbest bet is to emulate the style of the Kasrkin models.
Ex: http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq281/Bestia_au/Motivation/40kImperialGuard02.jpg
Guy on the left: Cadian Shock Trooper
Guys on the right: Cadian Kasrkin.

Vorlon
06-04-2010, 03:11 PM
With any luck...and if there is indeed a kind loving God that doesnt want me to hurt myself....GW will hopefully release the plastic Kasrkin/stormtrooper set soon which should fill the role quite well.

TSINI
06-04-2010, 04:22 PM
i've got the metal kasrkin, so the general consensus is that i should go ahead with the knee-pad/elbow pad idea similar to the kasrkin?

well thats ok, i had a feeling this is what i would have to do, was just poking about to see if anyone had any other cooler ideas.

Nabterayl
06-04-2010, 04:36 PM
I think it's less kneepads and elbow pads and more full-coverage (visually, anyway). Thigh guards, shin guards, forearm guards, and stomach plates, for instance, would be harder to model, but would be a bit more indicative of carapace in my mind than just adding kneepads and elbow pads (it would also help explain why a model in carapace can stand directly in the path of a flamer and still get his armor save).

Javin
06-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Unless it is a heavy flamer, then it is time for the burny dance

lobster-overlord
06-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm painting my Cadians as having molded leather armor in the look of it, so depending on your paint schemes, without having to do any sculpting (if you're looking to avoid it) paint them differently. I thought about gray to be the ceramic/plate armor. Basic armor might be light gray , while carapace might be charcoal or black as it is reinforced.

John M.

TSINI
06-04-2010, 06:41 PM
I guess if i had the skils i would go for the extra armour all over option, i can see how they've achieved this with the kasrkin, i may be able to do something similar, just aprehensive of ruining the look of a command squad that looks cool already.

i'll have a go 2moro with a spare model and we'll see what i can come up with.

cheers for the thoughts guys

mrphatman
06-04-2010, 09:51 PM
wait! before you do that check out these guys first http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/48353-.html?m=2 they use the tau legs and some rewoking of the feet great since you want to try greenstuff modeling just make new feet and you got some awsome carapace troopers

or if you want to try something more challenging go with nebterayl idea and go with this http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/88756-.html?m=2 either way take some pics and show all of us, oh and good luck

Rafe_131
06-05-2010, 10:28 AM
As I was scrolling down I was beginning to wonder if parts from a Fire Warrior would work. The downside is, unless you have a bunch of Tau you'll probably never use, this conversion could get a bit expensive....

TSINI
06-07-2010, 04:58 AM
i've already built the command squad, and they're already painted, but i was going to re-touch the paint anyway and then give them a badab wash, but before i do this i thought it would be a good idea to model on the carapace that i've paid the points for but always forgot is on there :D

at the moment i'm thinking of shin and wrist guards, extending up over the knees, and slightly over the back of the hand, giving the impression of extra armour, i'll get on this soon and post pics

PedroKantor
06-07-2010, 09:37 AM
try some space marine scouts....

LadasN
06-07-2010, 06:30 PM
try some space marine scouts....

That's exactly what I did, combining bitz from cadian shock troops and a valk pilot head on a couple (had em to spare) to make really cool vets/storm troopers. They honestly look great and I was able to make a 10 man squad in an hour or so with 2 (5man) scout kits and a shock troop kit