PDA

View Full Version : Sanguinary Guard Army

Ghoulio
06-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Now that I am almost finally finished my Tyranid Army I have decided it is time to start something new, something with a completely different feel/painting style as my last army. After seeing the new Sanguinary Guard models I was 100% sold on basing an entire army around them.

I did a couple of test models as I was originally going to paint this army with a base of white for the main armor instead of gold. I just couldnt get the white to look decent so I decided on just sticking with basic gold colour scheme. Here is my first test model I did to try out the colour scheme and the basing style.

http://www.bitsdispenser.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/SanguinaryGuardFront.jpg

http://www.bitsdispenser.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/SanguinaryGuardRear.jpg

After doing this test fig I just couldn't resist painting up the center piece for the army...The Sanguinor. I tried a couple things differently with this guy, mostly stuff on the base (I painted the skulls slightly different as well as painting green around the base). Overall I am fairly happy with this guy. Once I get a couple units under my belt I will probably go back and clean up his armor.

http://www.bitsdispenser.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/SanguinorFront2.jpg

http://www.bitsdispenser.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/SanguinorRear.jpg

Next up: 1st Sanguinary Guard squad finished!

Brass Scorpion
06-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Extremely nice.

UltramarineFan
06-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Very nice painting, so are you doing a pure sanguinary guard army?

fuzzbuket
06-02-2010, 10:37 AM
shiny!:D

Ghoulio
06-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Very nice painting, so are you doing a pure sanguinary guard army?

Yeah. Here is the final list for 2000pts.

HQ
Dante
The Sanguinor

Elites
Sanguinary Priests (2) - Jump Packs

Troops
Sanguinary Guard (5) - Chapter Banner, Power Fist, Inferno Pistol (Dante and 1 Sang Priest go here)
Sanguinary Guard (5) - Power Fist, Inferno Pistol x 2
Sanguinary Guard (5) - Power Fist, Inferno Pistol x 2
Sanguinary Guard (5) - Power Fist, Inferno Pistol, Plasma Pistol
Sanguinary Guard (5) - Power Fist, Inferno Pistol, Plasma Pistol

Fast Attack
Vanguard Veterans (5) - Power Weapon, Sergent - Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol

I know it won't be even remotely competitive but it will be lots of fun to play. I played a practice game for Ard Boyz with a friend of mine last night (he is going to the Semi's) and I got to use the Sanguinor for the first time and he did fairly well. He managed to kill a Flying Hive Tyrant, a Tervigon and a few stealers before my horrendous rolling did me in (rolled 3 "1's" on 6 dice for his armor saves...sigh lol). I am going to use the Death Company boxed set to make the Vanguard Vets and I ordered an extra box of Sanguinary guard for extra pieces and back packs for the 2 Sanguinary Priests and Dante. Going to take a squad or two finished before I really get into the groove although I am pretty pleased with how the first couple models turned out :)

whitestar333
06-02-2010, 12:12 PM
It's good to see a FUN army fielded, especially since it will be so beautiful to see on the field! I've also tossed around the idea, so please keep us updated with how it does! Hell, I might even start one once I'm done with my Valhallan guard army (see: probably never lol)

BlackKnight15624
06-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Looking good! I've never been able to get my gold to look that good. I'd definitely love to play against an army like that- small but extremely elite.

person person
06-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Lookin' fantastic, looking forward to seeing more!

mstingray
06-03-2010, 05:52 AM
whoah, those models look amazing, looking forward to see the whole army.

P.s. You should try for golden daemon or something with sanguinor

odinsgrandson
06-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Very good work. If you keep this up, you'll have a very beautiful force in the end.

Ghoulio
06-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Thank you everyone for the compliments :) . I am going to try to get a fair amount of work on this army done over the summer and early fall, so I will hopefully be able to update it on a regular basis.

whoah, those models look amazing, looking forward to see the whole army.

P.s. You should try for golden daemon or something with sanguinor

I actually used to work for the GW at the HQ store for Canada which was based in Oakville, ON. I even worked a couple of Games Days (well, when Canada had a Games Day wasn't pushed aside like we are now for ALL events lol) in the Golden Demon section registering the different entries coming in. I put about 12 hours into the Sanguinor and the entry that won the last year I was working there had close to 100 hours put into it. While I really appreciate the vote of confidence I am still quite a far ways off :)

Ghoulio
06-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Just a quick update. Over the last week or so I did a commission piece for a friend of mine who is starting a Lamentors army and he wanted Mephiston to be his center piece. I am really happy with how he turned out.

http://www.bitsdispenser.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/MephistonFront.jpg

http://www.bitsdispenser.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/MephistonRear.jpg

Lord Inquisitor
06-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Very nice sword. I also like his robes.

MarneusCalgar
06-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Itīs amazing!!

Like that goldens very much, how did you achieved them?? NMM??

Aldramelech
06-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Nice work, very neat.

Ghoulio
06-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Itīs amazing!!

Like that goldens very much, how did you achieved them?? NMM??

Actually, all the golds on these models is doing just doing layering/inking of the current GW metallic paint line. I used:

Tin Bitz
Shining Gold
Devlin Mud wash
Gryphonne Sepia wash
A thin coat of Shining Gold
Highlight layer of burnished gold
A Final highlighting layer of burnished gold mixed with mithril silver.

Hope that helps! And as always thanks for the compliments, they are always appreciated :)

house_cawdor
06-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Great Job!

emperorsaxe
06-24-2010, 10:49 AM
I agree with everyone else, very very nice work on the minis, top notch.
Respects, Emperorsaxe