PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam Guard painting help

Brithian Ranger
06-01-2010, 07:15 PM
I am in the process of making a guard detachment inspired by marines an air cav in vietnam. I have all of the models complete, sitting their primed and waiting to fight some VC (my friends ork army) and NVA (another friends guard inspired by the north vietnamese complete with AK lasguns)

Unfortunately I have been scouring picture archives cannot distinguish some colors. If anyone could provide gw paint colors corresponding to 1. the uniform color (I think its olive drab) 2. the camo netting helmets and 3. Flack vests

Thanks in advance, Brithian Ranger

fade_74
06-01-2010, 07:26 PM
I would go with standard OD for the uniform. Try mixing catachan green with just a bit of vermin brown. washed with devlan mud. highlight with cata green, then cata green mixed with camo green.
Catachan green would make a nice flak vest color also. Wash with thraka green. Highlight with camo green. The green wash should set it apart nicely from the uniform.
As for camo netting...try dark angel green with camo green highlights and make it sorta splotchy. Or you could go with a more natural tone and use graveyard earth highlighted with desert yellow maybe.

DrLove42
06-02-2010, 12:36 AM
For my Kroot i use camo green and a devlan mud wash...gives a nice browny/muddy camo green look for me.

Lane
06-02-2010, 03:52 AM
If anyone could provide gw paint colors corresponding to 1. the uniform color (I think its olive drab) and 3. Flack vests

AFAIK the uniform and flak vest were both OD green. However there are almost as many versions of OD green as there are of Khaki. fading can also make a huge change in uniform color.

I have seen the VN era flak vests and no two were the same color.

My IG army is based on VN era USMC as well and I'm using Cammo Green base color with green or green+brown washes. For ammo pouches, etc the cammo green + brown wash works out well.

Colors will depend on your paint style. I'm lazy and have an ***(ault boat) Load of minis to paint so I went with colors that look good with base + wash. If you prefer dry brushing and/ or highlighting then a darker base like catachan green might work better for you.

--
Lane

krispy
06-02-2010, 10:23 AM
from what i know (i have a vietnam airborne era helmet in my closet - dont ask me why ;) ) the us had 2 camo patterns - reversible - so you could have one green camo and one brown camo - i found this pic which shows the green and a decent portion of the brown pattern

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_05_2008/post-2910-1209855594.jpg

good luck with the painting ;) be sure to post pics when you are done! ;)

/k

Brithian Ranger
06-02-2010, 01:52 PM
thanks guys, yeah I was thinking something in the area of catachan/camo green base with a devlan mud wash, the cammo netting also sounds good.

emperorsaxe
06-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Why not go with a tiger stripe camo for the Catachans wouild be more in character, IMHO. ;)