PDA

View Full Version : Good C:SM Librarian Psychic Powers for Tourney?

johnnyfoodmaster
06-01-2010, 05:47 AM
Hey all!
I'm playin a team tourney on saturday and I was planning to take the following Librarian powers (I don't have my codex, and I forgot the names):
Str 10 blast power
Pick up and deep strike power

My army is a pile of footslogging tac marines. My plan is to attach the librarian to a squad and kill some stuff and use the deep strike power to make last minute moves for objectives.

I've already got my points worked out so I can't change anything like that. My partner is the assault half of the army and I'm the fire support.

Lord Azaghul
06-01-2010, 06:26 AM
The S10 is a 'heavy 1' so you'll either need to be on a bike or in terminator armour to move and fire with it. Otherwise you're pretty much just sitting exposed for a turn before you fire with it.

Other power. Its useful...if you guys is in terminator armour!

Paradox
06-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Other power. Its useful...if you guys is in terminator armour!

Is this a reference to teleport homers and the like? Not sure I've caught your meaning there.

Cheers

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-01-2010, 08:48 AM
He is talking about Gate of Infinity and Vortex of Doom, and to replace VoD might I suggest Smite? 12" Str4 Ap2 Assault 4

Paradox
06-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Oh, I got the powers; more the usage of the Gate.

My question is geared around is he suggesting that homers would help terminators deep strike in better after being taken off the board.

If so, this raises the question does the deep strike count as terminators teleporting and thus being able to use teleport homers, or does it count purley and only as the psychic power, in which case the teleport homers may not be allowed to do that as they only function with 'teleporting units' which pretty much only refer to deep striking terminators (though locator beacons still could of course).

Just a curious question :)

Lord Azaghul
06-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Yup. Sorry should have been more clear! Teleport homers are danged useful for Librarian (in termie armour) Jumping!

As far as your question goes, I think they count as DSing.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-01-2010, 09:00 AM
In that case Scout Bikers have locator beacons =D Fast moving deep strike helpers! =P

Paradox
06-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Not trying to stir trouble, but the teleport homer "only works for units that are teleporting, not for units entering play using jump packs, drop pods or any other mean of transport"

So, as the terminator clad blokes are moving in via Gate and not teleporting in, I would ahve thought they couldn't utilise a teleport homer. The tactic would still definitely work with a locator beacon though.

I'm up for discussion on that of course :)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Well when they first Teleport onto the battlefield they can use Teleport Homers, but when the Librarian "Gates" then he would use the Locator Beacons, I think that is correct?

Lord Azaghul
06-01-2010, 09:25 AM
I'd have to re'read the rules, but I think that's how I'd play it.
There is also a deference between homers and beacons.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-01-2010, 09:29 AM
I like using Scout Bikers, as that is "How I roll" literally, good shooting times, I like demo-charging scenery, and deploying troops anywhere I need them, drop pods are good locator beacons, but, they are stationary, and the battle situation quickly changes, so for a quicker deep-striking response Bikers are the way to go in my opinion.

johnnyfoodmaster
06-01-2010, 11:55 AM
I think I'll probly change to the st4 ap2 or to the ap3 template. You guys are right that the st10 blast is a waste if I want the squad mobile.

And for all that teleporting stuff doesn't matter cuz the Librarian is in power armor. In fact all 50 models in the army are in power armor!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Splug
06-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Part of your decision should be based on the local metagame as well. Do a lot of people run terminators, demons, or dark eldar? If so, you may want to consider Null Zone as a power. I almost always take it if my librarian is not an epistolary; some games I just cast the other power every turn (usually avenger), but when you hit an army that Null Zone helps against, it's absolutely priceless.

EDIT: Actually, pretty much every codex has some sort of key unit that they're likely to throw at you, from seer councils to zoanthropes, that is reliant on a beefy invulnerable save. About the only ones I can think of that don't are Orks (cybork saves aren't that reliable anyway) or Tau. Even necrons have a C'tan leaning on its invulnerable.

Nikephoros
06-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Null Zone is pretty darn great.

Tynskel
06-01-2010, 06:00 PM
You can use Vortex of Doom- you either need to be a) Wearing Terminator Armor, which gives you Relentless-- allowing you to fire Vortex of Doom while moving, or b) Riding a Bike, which gives you Relentless.

Sounds silly, but you could have the Libby riding a bike attached to a foot sloggin' tactical squad.
Terminator Armor would probably be better-- get the storm shield, and you have a well protected Libby- even from Perils of the Warp!

DarkLink
06-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Terminator Armor would probably be better-- get the storm shield, and you have a well protected Libby- even from Perils of the Warp!

Hmm, that plus Vortex plus either null zone or GoI... I like that setup.