PDA

View Full Version : My army just got crushed...

Kahoolin
05-28-2010, 12:44 PM
I just got home from work and as I walked in the door I saw my copy of From Hell fall off a six foot high bookshelf . . . right on top of my guardsmen who were sitting on the floor from a game last night :eek:

Heaps of them are smashed to bits. I should feel really REALLY pissed off but it's just so ridiculous I have to laugh. Anyone who's seen From Hell knows it's a huge book, and I have it in hardcover. Bang, right on top of em, all bunched up together.

Actually now I'm starting to feel angry. I have a lot of repairs ahead of me:(

GentleBen
05-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Back when I was a broke college student I took a unit of goblin wolf riders I hadn't been using and with some extra bits scratch-built some goblin wolf chariots. When I finally finished painting them I went to the kitchen to get some food. I returned to find that they had vanished. I looked on the floor and on every shelf in my apartment. After about fifteen minutes I stopped and said "hey this is crazy... things just don't disappear... they're here somewhere... sit down, think about it, and you'll remember where you put them." I rolled my chair out from under my desk, sat down, and crushed all three of them. I have no idea why I put them on my chair. To this day I blame gremlins.

Fellend
05-28-2010, 01:10 PM
My sympathies, I had a simular experience when I just had started, my 1200 points got a heap of books over them, Luckily the Emperor does protect.

albertsevil
05-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Many years ago when I first started up I had a large number of the old Gretchin boxes (German spiked helmets etc) and Goff Orks. I lined them all up in a biq phalanx on the floor, went out and came back in the dark... OUCH!! ...needless to say my foot bled and the orks were crushed. Yet somehow all the Gretchin survived...

AirHorse
05-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Harsh, thats a painful loss :( I would be so gutted if I lost that many models!

I won a painting competition when i was younger with my avatar, was so proud of it! My mum knocked it off the shelf while dusting the day after i won and it assploded :(

zenjah
05-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Post a picture of the carnage so we can revel in the misfortune of others! I mean sympathize...

Fizzics
05-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Post a picture of the carnage so we can revel in the misfortune of others! I mean sympathize...

x2!!!!

Mike X
05-28-2010, 03:49 PM
A few years back now, I had a girlfriend who was... one of those busty, vampire-obsessed, psychotics.

I remember when I broke up with her, at my place, she immediately went into my hobby room and started grabbing my displayed infantry in handfuls and crushing them in her fists, then threw them against the wall. Needless to say, I was furious at that moment.

Afterward, I gained my calmness back after realizing that what was built with glue can be fixed with glue.

fade_74
05-28-2010, 04:57 PM
A few years back now, I had a girlfriend who was... one of those busty, vampire-obsessed, psychotics.

I remember when I broke up with her, at my place, she immediately went into my hobby room and started grabbing my displayed infantry in handfuls and crushing them in her fists, then threw them against the wall. Needless to say, I was furious at that moment.

Afterward, I gained my calmness back after realizing that what was built with glue can be fixed with glue.

And crazy busty vampire obsessed psychotics can be rebuilt with casts...and stitches.....and staples.....
and, just like the models, they won't look quite the same forever after.

Mystery.Shadow
05-28-2010, 06:10 PM

Be glad she wasn't like someone I know locally. Same thing happened a week ago, but insted she stole his Pistol and his Car. Fired the Gun in the house and Wrecked the Car. The Police were called, an Incident Report was filed, but she was nowhere to be found. Today, she is still at large.

I'm sure he wished she trashed his Necrons insted.

scadugenga
05-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Be glad she wasn't like someone I know locally. Same thing happened a week ago, but insted she stole his Pistol and his Car. Fired the Gun in the house and Wrecked the Car. The Police were called, an Incident Report was filed, but she was nowhere to be found. Today, she is still at large.

I'm sure he wished she trashed his Necrons insted.

Nah, insurance'll cover the car...

Hellfire
05-28-2010, 06:40 PM

Did you have a friend available to help you hide the body?

RocketRollRebel
05-28-2010, 07:11 PM

Fail. God thats awful. I had a friend back in NY whos wife got mad an trashed his Tau army. That'd be it for me for sure.

Mike X
05-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Did you have a friend available to help you hide the body?

Unfortunately she's still alive. If you value your army, beware this girl:
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x141/nyp4ever/22560081-2.jpg

Commissar Lewis
05-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Attractive, but I value my minis and I really, REALLY don't want to go to prison.

Kahoolin
05-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Post a picture of the carnage so we can revel in the misfortune of others! I mean sympathize...I would, but we only have one camera in the house and my girlfriend is in South Africa with it :D

fade_74
05-28-2010, 09:05 PM
She would have looked a lot uglier when I finished up. Hey though....on the brightside.......she would have been much paler when she got out of the hospital.

I don't mean to sound cruel or hateful. I'm sorry if I come off that way. But, if someone destroys something you love because they are angry with you, they have a problem.....at least you didn't marry this chick and have kids with her. I have to teach non aggression and anger management all friggin school year long but I would have dropped her.

Kahoolin
05-28-2010, 09:11 PM
fade, for someone who teaches anger management you sound a little tightly wound! Is there a connection? :D

Also, I know it's just internet bravado but all this talk about assaulting and hospitalizing women because they smash your toys is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Mike X
05-28-2010, 09:37 PM
She would have looked a lot uglier when I finished up. Hey though....on the brightside.......she would have been much paler when she got out of the hospital.

I don't mean to sound cruel or hateful. I'm sorry if I come off that way. But, if someone destroys something you love because they are angry with you, they have a problem.....at least you didn't marry this chick and have kids with her. I have to teach non aggression and anger management all friggin school year long but I would have dropped her.

Ahahahaha.

Oh, I wish I had dropped her... off a 10-story building.

tjkopena
05-28-2010, 10:29 PM
fade, for someone who teaches anger management you sound a little tightly wound! Is there a connection? :D

Also, I know it's just internet bravado but all this talk about assaulting and hospitalizing women because they smash your toys is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah, it's definitely not cool, or funny.

Back to the original topic: A friend had some work done on his house a while back. At some point he had his large BFG Chaos fleet out on his work desk to get together a list or admire it or something. One of the contractors working on the window above the desk dropped it right in on it, smashing the fleet in a way Ravensburg never quite accomplished. My friend had a hell of a time trying to convince the contractors of the monetary value of what they had just destroyed, let alone the time he'd sunk into it.

From Hell is an awesome book though, and definitely chunky enough to wipe out a company of Guardsmen in one blow...

Kahoolin
05-28-2010, 10:30 PM
I just got up the courage to inspect the damage properly, and thankfully it looked a lot worse than it was. A vox man was smashed to bits, two guys were snapped off at the ankles and lost their heads, and two other guardsmen lost their heads. Not too bad considering :)

MajorSoB
05-28-2010, 11:53 PM

...and the lesson to be learned here is always have a plan!

When breaking up with someone who has the potential to meltdown, you should :
- Change the locks first ( or move.)
- Park around the block in someone else's driveway.
- Drop the bombshell when she is OUTSIDE of your home, if not outside of the country.
- While texting and email breakups reek of epic fail, there are times when "I understand"!

I hope my suggestions will prevent a future tragedy. Girlfriends can be replaced, good models cant! ;)

Mike X
05-29-2010, 12:58 AM
...and the lesson to be learned here is always have a plan!

When breaking up with someone who has the potential to meltdown, you should :
- Change the locks first ( or move.)
- Park around the block in someone else's driveway.
- Drop the bombshell when she is OUTSIDE of your home, if not outside of the country.
- While texting and email breakups reek of epic fail, there are times when "I understand"!

I hope my suggestions will prevent a future tragedy. Girlfriends can be replaced, good models cant! ;)

Oh, trust me, I learned quite a bit that day... and from the relationship overall. The bigger the boobs, the bigger the b****.

Spleen_stealer
05-29-2010, 06:04 AM
i got extra renters insurance for my minis specifically... they are insured upto 2500$ (ironicly) the woman looked at me strange...

not enough to re-build a pure SOB army.... but enough so i don't cry my self to sleep, but i probably would over the loss of the paint job.

rbryce
05-29-2010, 07:24 AM
lol, so thankful my missus understands the time, effort, and cash that goes into an army, though my daughter doesnt. st. celestine in the washing machine, painting over a battlesister(though ive kept it as its her first painted mini) in brown and pink etc. sos about the ex there mike, maybe you shopuld blame it on the Marilyn manson she listened to( i presume thats a MM necklace on. poor girl didnt know metal and "goth" as well as the value of minis). woman bashing not good, fake goth bashing= as much fun as you can have without an emo to torture lol

BlackKnight15624
05-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Sounds like a really unfortunate Ordnance Barrage fell on the Cadian 8th.

weeble1000
05-30-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm not really a cat fan, but my wife is so we have two cats. When we moved into our new house I told her the cat was going to chew on my tanks and should learn to stay out of the hobby room/office. Needless to say I didn't win that argument. I swear I wasn't in the room 5 min after unpacking my army before I heard crunch crunch crunch crunch and turned around to find the darn thing happily munching on the barrel of my basilisk!

Now I spend most of my hobby time either listening to the cat scratching at the door or keeping one eye on the spray bottle.

Kirsten
05-30-2010, 04:40 PM
A good gaming friend of mine destroys many models, his very presence is enough to cause arms to fall off, it is uncanny. He also has a habit of doing rather silly things, like picking up a land raider and throwing it in the air, catching it, and throwing it again, each time higher and higher until he threw it up to ceiling height, then failed to catch it as it came down, not only in pieces, but actually broken, sides and hull snapped in too, the owner was far from happy...

Also had a friend at a local gaming club deploy his ork army on a trestle table, turn around to speak to someone, and behind him one end of the table folded up, depositing the entire lot on the floor. Everything in pieces, no game for him, and weeks spent gluing it all back together.