PDA

View Full Version : Tau Armoury

Emperorsmercy
08-10-2009, 03:39 AM
I was reading through my friedns tau codex and found that for battlesuits, it says something that confused me:

'He must select three battlsuit weapons systems or support systems.'

Now, that seems quite obviously to mean you can pick three Battlsuit weapons or support systems, but no more of three can be had. my friend says it means you can have three of each. As we are in a campaign against each other, we would quite like to know which one is correct. Any help?

Flashman
08-10-2009, 03:45 AM
I was a little confused as to what you were asking but as I understand you. Your friend thinks he can have three weapons and three support systems on a battlesuit. If that's the case he's wrong and you're right. He can get additional hardwired support systems on some of the Vet's but a basic battlesuit has only three hard points.

Emperorsmercy
08-10-2009, 03:49 AM
thanks, that clears it up.

Starion
08-10-2009, 03:52 AM
Having a small Tau amy myself, I read it as 3 systems MAX, of either type. eg, 3 weapons, OR 3 supports, OR a mix of the 2 until 3 items are take (Let 3 be the number of taking, and the number taken be 3. Thou shalt not take 4 items. 5 is righteth out...Oh, sorry - Tau, not Templar)
My usual loadout being Plasma/Missile pod/shield gen.

Madjob
08-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Throwing in my own question on the matter of the Tau Armory entries: am I right in assuming under the codex wording for Multi-trackers that the Infantry Wargear entry for a hard wired MT is literally useless? I can't find another entry for MTs aside from the Battlesuit and Vehicle versions, and the Battlesuit version describes the effect as allowing the model to fire two 'battlesuit weapon systems' in a single shooting phase. This wording does nothing for a Fire Warrior with access to the infantry armory, as they can't take any 'battlesuit weapon systems' in the first place!

Nabterayl
08-10-2009, 10:29 AM
The only two options I see are reducing an entire wargear option to meaningless surplusage (and not meaningless surplusage thanks to an edition change, but meaningless surplusage at the time of writing), or to read "benefit from some support systems normally only mounted on a battlesuit" to mean that Tau with a hard-wired multi-tracker but not equipped with a battlesuit should read "battlesuit weapon systems" as "weapons the model is equipped with."

My gut intuition is that the latter is actually what the author intended, but if that's not your opponent's intuition as well, the principle I'd use to decide the issue is this: which option does the least violence to the text? The latter option allows you to avoid the result that you have the option of paying five points for wargear that does nothing, and never did anything. That wins the "least violence" test in my book.

Culven
08-10-2009, 12:42 PM
By a strict reading to the rules, a Firewarrior with a Multitracker gains no benefit since he can't have any Battlesuit weapons. I seriously doubt that anyone would complain if it was house-ruled to allow the Firewarrior to use two weapons since it would only allow the model to fire its gun and a Markerlight, and even then, it can't move that turn. Hardly game breaking . . . or IMO, a good use of the points.