PDA

View Full Version : Night Spinner Stats (verified)

Bigred
05-25-2010, 08:48 PM
The Night Spinner rules are out via the latest White Dwarf. Here's what the Eldar are getting:

Night Spinner

Twin-linked Doomweaver: 12-72" S:6 AP: - Heavy 1, Large Blast, Barrage, Rending
Place a marker next to any unit hit. Any such units count as being in difficult and dangerous terrain the next time they move for any reason. After they have competed their next movement, remove the marker.
Twin-linked Shuriken Catapult

BS:3

12/12/10 Fast, Skimmer, Tank

Standard Eldar vehicle upgrades apply.
NOT a transport.
Costs the same as a Fire Prism
Heavy Support choice
Night Spinner rules are stamped as "Official"

Brass Scorpion
05-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Sounds like fun. 72" is a long way in ordinary sized games. The model is pretty and my Eldar army will definitely get one each of the new Nightspinner and a Fire Prism.

SonicPara
05-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Is it no longer a transport? That was the best thing about the Night Spinner. Eldar long range blast weapon that ALSO scores.

Bigred
05-25-2010, 10:05 PM
No longer a transport SonicPara

Melissia
05-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Wow, that's just NASTY to my Sisters...

Alrik_40000
05-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Don't forget the fact that the main gun is twin-linked... which is vital since it only has BS3 instead of 4 like the Fire Prism!

Melissia
05-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I was about to post that, as well. Someone on Dakka-Dakka mentioned that.

Bigred
05-25-2010, 11:01 PM
DOH, fixed!

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
05-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Im already dreading its release for two reasons:
One i have to paint three of them for a freinds army in yellow of all colours. Damn Iyandan.
Secondly, i also play SoB and i know these are going to be a serious hassle, i can just imagine in the near future a possible Formation of three of these as well.

Wonder how long i can delay???

Duke
05-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Sorry for the dumb question, but is this now a "codex unit" or is it for spearhead only?

DrLove42
05-26-2010, 12:10 AM
Suddenly reconsidering whether the one i was going to get is enough...

Brass Scorpion
05-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Im already dreading its release ... i have to paint three of them for a freinds army in yellow of all coloursI also use yellow in my Eldar army. Spray paint is your friend. I spray the yellow, the hardest color to paint in the scheme, then paint the other colors over that as needed.

Melissia
05-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Sorry for the dumb question, but is this now a "codex unit" or is it for spearhead only?

It's now a codex unit.

Splug
05-26-2010, 11:54 AM
It give mech eldar access to something similar to the reaper exarchs without sacrificing the overall mobility the army benefits from, but overall I don't think it's that scary. It's more durable than the reapers against an army with strong long-range anti-infantry, but it's also drastically less devastating.

Then again, does the whole unit count as being in dangerous terrain, or just the models which are hit? Clipping one guy from three different squads might be fairly devastating if it's the former - who cares that only one guy actually died, if three full squads are suddenly in dangerous terrain, they'll roll some 1's.

mathhammer
05-26-2010, 11:57 AM
wow , I better mechanize up my Tyranid army.

At least the Difficult/Dangerous terrain could be if you killed someone.

grumble grumble

and does the terrain test work on vehicles? I use murderous Hurricane to take out a land raider before. This is even better. I drop 3 on all the rhinos and wait for the fun to start.

Anggul
05-26-2010, 12:01 PM
*Drool* Sounds nice.

Melissia
05-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah, it appears to work on vehicles. So vehicles move as if in difficult and dangerous terrain

Atrotos
05-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Hmmm, barrage and rending makes it a pain for vehicles as well.

Herald of Nurgle
05-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Nowhere near decent enough for me.

Melissia
05-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Nowhere near decent enough for me.

... it has good strength, it's large blast, it's not ordnance (IE the vehicle can move and fire), it pins (from barrage, IIRC), it's rending, it's twin-linked, it does damage in the enemy turn AFTER the shot is fired if the enemy wants or has to move, and its special ability works on vehicles as well as infantry.

It's a friggin' NIGHTMARE. How is this not good enough?

Splug
05-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Mmmmm, holotanks as fast attack choices make me a happy panda.Woah, wait, is it fast attack... not heavy support?

That's kind of a huge difference in how valuable the vehicle is to me.

mathhammer
05-26-2010, 03:33 PM
... it has good strength, it's large blast, it's not ordnance (IE the vehicle can move and fire), it pins (from barrage, IIRC), it's rending, it's twin-linked, it does damage in the enemy turn AFTER the shot is fired if the enemy wants or has to move, and its special ability works on vehicles as well as infantry.

It's a friggin' NIGHTMARE. How is this not good enough?

You missed the part where it always hits side armor.
And cover is from the center of the template

Melissia
05-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Yeesh, you're right...

This thing is NASTY. It'll always be the first thing I go after if I face up against it....

whitestar333
05-26-2010, 04:18 PM
You forgot the 12" minimum range. The range is actually 12-72" which doesn't seem like a big deal, but I thought I should point it out. It's still a Heavy Support choice IIRC

Yes I read the rules and I think the thing is AWESOME! The rule for the difficult and dangerous terrain is called "Monofilament Wire" and when you hit units under the template you put a marker down next to that unit and on the following turn they count as moving through difficult, dangerous terrain. This implies that it can both affect multiple units, including vehicles.

Much better than a Fire Prism, if you ask me! Sure, it might lack the AT punch since it's AP -, but the amount of damage it can do to ANY infantry can be devastating, especially in combination with other elements in the Eldar codex. This does provide the Eldar with some much needed anti-horde support. I think what makes the Night Spinner so valuable isn't the initial damage, but the moving through difficult, dangerous terrain can be devastating.

Melissia
05-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Yes, but that's not entirely an issue, as the tank can move 6" and fire anyway. Actually twelve inches I think, because it's a Skimmer.

Nabterayl
05-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Yes, but that's not entirely an issue, as the tank can move 6" and fire anyway. Actually twelve inches I think, because it's a Skimmer.
You mean 12" because it's Fast.

Bigred
05-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah,I think a single spinner going to be a staple in my armies. What I like more than anything is the movement effects on enemy units. Basically anything that degrades,or even makes the opposing player have to think about not moving, further improves the Eldar army's mobility. Being able to move 12" and fire that thing trying to clip multiple units should be enough to degrade the critical parts of the bad guy army you don't want to move.

whitestar333
05-26-2010, 05:51 PM
I think another thing that makes the tank interesting that I just realized is that even if you scatter off of a vehicle, there might still be a chance of some damage because of it's rending capabilities, potentially glancing AV 12 even with just a partial (slim chance, but still worth noting). This means that firing into clumps of transports can serve a dual purpose with both the potential for immobilization from dangerous terrain but there's an odd chance of damaging more than just your primary target! Granted, I would much rather shoot at exposed infantry, but if there's nothing but a rhino wall, it means that I might do more than my opponent is expecting

mathhammer
05-26-2010, 08:19 PM
I hate this thing the more I think of it.

It clips my hormagaunt unit. If I move/run/assault the next turn (which hormagaunts are known to do) I could loose almost 46% of my unit.

Lemt
05-27-2010, 03:35 AM
I wonder, would 2-3 of these be overkill? If you replace your fire Prisms with Nightspinners you lose AP and high strength, hurting against MEQs and vehicles, but I do believe the rending and movement impairment could make up for it in a list tailored for such a situation. Giving your other slots high-S and low-AP weapons and keeping HS for horde and movement control. However, gunline armies could just stand still and bring the Nightspinners down...

DrLove42
05-27-2010, 05:09 AM
OK two queries about the after effects of the shot

1) If a vehicle has dozer blade (Russ) or Siege Shield (Vindicators) which means it ignore dangerous or difficult terrain, or re-rolls it how does this interfere with the dangerous terrain of the attack?

2) If an infantry squad gets "webbed" (how i'm now referring to it as) and takes an dangerous terrain test when it moves. If i then move into assault and they have to pile in...does that count as them needing the test? And if they do take fatalities when moving in do those count to combat resolution? And if they don't take the wounds and win combat do they remain webbed for their next real movement phase?

Lemt
05-27-2010, 05:25 AM
I'd say they count as being in dangerous and difficult terrain in the same way a unt would if it were in normally difficult and dangerous terrain, so anything that interacts with this would work normally.

mathhammer
05-27-2010, 06:17 AM
OK two queries about the after effects of the shot
2) If an infantry squad gets "webbed" (how i'm now referring to it as) and takes an dangerous terrain test when it moves. If i then move into assault and they have to pile in...does that count as them needing the test? And if they do take fatalities when moving in do those count to combat resolution? And if they don't take the wounds and win combat do they remain webbed for their next real movement phase?

1) Dangerous terrain wounds do not count towards the CC results but may count towards a morale check. (I'll copy over some notes I made)
2) pile in / consolidation moves don't trigger terrain effects (BRB pg 40 col 1) (BRB pg 40 col 2)

My notes on the combat phase involving splash damage but I also detail dangerous terrain and when those wounds might trigger a morale check.

BRB pg 44 col 1 "Taking Morale Checks" covers 90% of the question.
Steps below. (and certain people can bite me on my steps)

1. Record you units size at the start of the assault phase. (before assault movement)
2. Record any wounds caused Dangerous Terrain test. (BRB pg 36 col 2)
3. Record any wounds caused by splash damage part 1.
4. Fight the close combat the unit is involved in.
5. Resolve the Close combat. (BRB pg 39 col 2)
6. Record any wounds caused by splash damage part 2.
7. End of phase morale check. (skip if you are in close combat.) (BRB pg 44 col 1)

Questions Left.
Q1) Do the wounds in Step 2 and Step 3 apply in Step 5.
A1) The answer to this question is determined by the reading of the phase
"...only the wounds actually suffered by enemy models..."
While the [RAW] is unclear here as it doesn't limit the wounds to the sub phase of "Resolve Combat" for the unit . I think the [RAI] (and the simpler method) is that step 5 does NOT include the wounds from Steps 2 and Steps 3. If there is splash damage inside the combat, (ex. Tervigon dieing and killing gaunts in the same combat) the [RAW] requires those wounds are added to the combat total.

Q2) Which wounds apply in step 7?
A2) the only wounds by [RAW] that can apply in step 7 are the wounds from Step 2, Step 3, and Step 6. By [RAW] if you still locked in a close combat you ignore Step 7, but if you are not (no matter if you won or lost) and the wounds from those three steps is 25% or more or your units starting size in this phase you must make a morale check. Which does mean you could win the battle then break and run.

Rangerrob
05-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Seems like an average unit in an "already overloaded with great choices" Heavy support list.

I actually got excited for a second, thinking about combo-ing the dangerous terrain with Eldritch storm...

Then I went back to re-read Eldritch storm, which I obviously have not used since 2nd edition...when it moved the units touched to the edge of the storm. Yeah that's why the storm is the 5th choice of 5 powers, it's ok, just not great.

So I guess I'd say the Night Spinner is the "Edritch Storm" of Heavy Support.

eldargal
05-27-2010, 07:13 AM
It is a good HS choice, at least if you face armies which have infantry on foot, as I do. I'm going to enjoy spraying sticky-cutty stuff all over large Death Companies, 'nids and Orks. If your regular opponents are all mech then it will be of less use, but this is not to say the unit itself is merely average. I had ignored it myself, prior to seeing the rules, and now I'm thinking about buying another three kits to have as dedicated nighspinners*.

*I don't magnetise, I don't need to save money and I think all the extra tanks look pretty on display.

Seems like an average unit in an "already overloaded with great choices" Heavy support list.

I actually got excited for a second, thinking about combo-ing the dangerous terrain with Eldritch storm...

Then I went back to re-read Eldritch storm, which I obviously have not used since 2nd edition...when it moved the units touched to the edge of the storm. Yeah that's why the storm is the 5th choice of 5 powers, it's ok, just not great.

So I guess I'd say the Night Spinner is the "Edritch Storm" of Heavy Support.

Melissia
05-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Eldargal: This thing also effects vehicles. Any transports hit-- not penetrated, not glanced, just hit by the damn thing-- must suffer through difficult and dangerous terrain the next turn. So it's also nasty against mechanized armies, too.

eldargal
05-27-2010, 07:21 AM
I know, but reading the comments on the BolS blog, the lounge and other forums people seem fixated on the whole nightspinner vs infantry thing.

Bigred
05-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Thats because people dont realize that a 1 in 6 chance of causing an immobilized result (and often a mission kill for transports) is fantastic odds, compared to most weapons who have to penetrate, then get lucky on the damage table.

Add the fact that you can clip multiple vehicles with 1 shots these days with massive mech walls, and its even better.

My bigger question is how do you resolve a unit with multiple markers on it? Does moving remove all of them or just a single one?

Melissia
05-27-2010, 08:28 AM
I'd think it would remove all of them...

Lemt
05-27-2010, 09:02 AM
I'd think it would remove all of them...

But would you do only one check, or one per marker? And if you're already in dangerous terrain, does this add an additional check?
Guess I really want to see the official wording. Not that I have any hope it will clarify things, but yeah.

Herald of Nurgle
05-27-2010, 09:29 AM
I'd force a re-roll, or simply bunch them up. Moving through dangerous + Night Spinner 1 is a 2 or less, and so on.

mathhammer
05-27-2010, 09:34 AM
There is only one dangerous terrain, much like every other place terrain is talked about in the main rule book.

The markers removal depend on the exact wording of the rule.

Additional notes.

1. This template has a 55% chance to hit before I calculate the deviation numbers that will land on top of a tank. (From previous numbers it should rise to 85% ti hit the tank with the center of the blast)

2. This tank has a 16% chance to immobilize a land raider. For comparison a twin linked lascannon only has a 10% chance to stop (immobilize/wrecked/destroy) Armor 14.

Brass Scorpion
05-27-2010, 09:53 AM
This tank has a 16% chance to immobilize a land raider.True only if there is a hit in the first place. People should also not place too much dependence any single shot. Any time one's strategy is dependent on a single die roll with only a 1 in 6 chance of success one is likely to be disappointed in the result. It's certainly useful in that role, especially when adding it as an additional chance at stopping that AV14 menace along with other shots taken, but I wouldn't stake the outcome of the game on the one shot or any single shot.

Dingareth
05-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Give up a Fire Prism, which can kill a Land Raider, for a 1 in 6 chance of Immobilizing it? No thank you. Seriously people, chill out, it's an over-costed, under-gunned tanks that competes against some of the best Heavies in the game.

If it had a second mode of fire or was a Fast Attack choice, then it would be worth a look, but as it is... not for me.

Lemt
05-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Give up a Fire Prism, which can kill a Land Raider, for a 1 in 6 chance of Immobilizing it? No thank you. Seriously people, chill out, it's an over-costed, under-gunned tanks that competes against some of the best Heavies in the game.

If it had a second mode of fire or was a Fast Attack choice, then it would be worth a look, but as it is... not for me.

Mathhammer-wise, what are the odds of a Fire Prism blowing up (or destroying or immobilising) a Land Raider? Hint: really low. The odds of immobilising it with the Nightspinner are higher.

DarkLink
05-27-2010, 11:10 AM
"The unit counts as being in difficult and dangerous terrain" is how they word it, I believe. So multiple templates don't stack.

mathhammer
05-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Mathhammer-wise, what are the odds of a Fire Prism blowing up (or destroying or immobilising) a Land Raider? Hint: really low. The odds of immobilising it with the Nightspinner are higher.

Some quick math, I don't know of any flaws.

Night Spinner
To hit a shot center of mass of a Land Raider.
Assumptions:
BS 4 , Can See Target, True Dice

N[((2/6)+(6/36)+(4/36)(170/360)) + (1-((2/6)+(6/36)+(4/36)(170/360)))*((2/6)+(6/36)+(4/36)(170/360))]
80% chance for center of template on the vehicle.

To immobilise or wreck the landrider.
N[.80 (1/6) (2/6) (2/6)]
1.5%

To immobalize via dangerous terrain.
90% chance for the template to hit the vehicle.
15% to immobilised

Total 16.5% to immobilised

Unholy_Martyr
05-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Only a single flaw that I see in the math: According to everything I have seen the Night Spinner is BS 3...

mathhammer
05-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Only a single flaw that I see in the math: According to everything I have seen the Night Spinner is BS 3...

If my white dwarf would show up in the mail I would know this.......

To hit a shot center of mass of a Land Raider.
Assumptions:
BS 3, Can See Target, True Dice

N[(((2/6)+(3/36)+(3/36)(170/360)) + (1-((2/6)+(3/36)+(3/36)(170/360)))*((2/6)+(3/36)+(3/36)(170/360)))(1/6) (2/6) (2/6)]
To immobilise or wreck the landrider.
1.3%

N[(((2/6)+(6/36)+(4/36)(170/360)) + (1-((2/6)+(6/36)+(4/36)(170/360)))*((2/6)+(6/36)+(4/36)(170/360)))(1/6)]
To immobilise via dangerous terrain.
13.3% to immobilised

Total 14.6% to immobilised

Brass Scorpion
05-27-2010, 03:28 PM
what are the odds of a Fire Prism blowing up (or destroying or immobilising) a Land Raider? Hint: really low. The odds of immobilising it with the Nightspinner are ......slightly higher, but also really low.

Lemt
05-27-2010, 03:37 PM
...slightly higher, but also really low.

My comment was towards Dingareth, who said you shouldn't give up Fire Prisms because they can blow up Land Raiders. I say that's true, but Nigthspinners can also deal with them, AKA stop the from delivering their cargo.

DrLove42
05-27-2010, 03:39 PM
...slightly higher, but also really low.

TBH my Spinner won't be shooting landraiders unless it runs out of targets. Killing land raiders is what my serpent bright lances are for...

So mathhammer it all you want, until you see it in a game and see the motivational drain it has on an opponent when it webs someone up we just won't know how worth it it is

Dingareth
05-27-2010, 05:03 PM
My comment was towards Dingareth, who said you shouldn't give up Fire Prisms because they can blow up Land Raiders. I say that's true, but Nigthspinners can also deal with them, AKA stop the from delivering their cargo.

That's actually not at all what I said. I said that taking a Night Spinner makes you give up a Fire Prism, which can actually kill tanks instead of just immobilizing them, and just does as good of a job against infantry. It's a case of "anything you can do I can do better."

whitestar333
05-27-2010, 07:10 PM
I agree that I don't think the Night Spinner is reliable anti-tank, but if you have nothing else to shoot at, it can potentially surprise your opponent.

I think what we all forget is that everything in the Eldar codex is specialized towards a specific goal. Sure, there's better AT out there, but we can take other things to kill those tanks, and then we need something to kill the stuff inside (see: Night Spinner). I don't know about you guys, but as an Eldar player, I've always had more difficulty dealing with mass numbers of infantry, not tanks. Fire dragons, wraithguard, singing spears, and brightlances all do a great job at busting those tanks. What do the Eldar have to take care of mobs of Orks and Tyranids? I think the Night Spinner fills that niche much more nicely and at a really great range. I think the Night Spinner will really shine when dealing with Tyranids especially, because they always want to move closer to you and making them roll for dangerous terrain is HUGE. So don't REPLACE your Fire Prisms, but you have three HS spots available, why not make one of them a Night Spinner so that when your Prisms crack those tanks, you can make sure those troops don't assault your fragile banshees already locked in combat, or if they do, they will pay for it with every inch.

Want to talk mathhammer? Try shooting your Night Spinner at a mob of 30 hormagaunts. Assuming you can only hit a measly 6 models (highly unlikely) and not hit any other units, you will likely kill 4-5 of them (also remember that any screening troops are irrelevant because it's barrage) and then in the ensuing movement phase they will likely take another 4-5 casualties just from moving through dangerous terrain. They want to assault? That's fine too - they lose another 4 models. All of a sudden, you killed 12-13 models in a squad of hormagaunts off of a bad scatter. Let's also not forget that since they're moving through difficult terrain as well, there's a chance that they might not even make it into combat or, at the very least, you'll get to strike first because Tyranids practically don't have assault grenades.
Now, lets extend this thought experiment to our favorite spammed model the Tervigon, surrounded by 3 broods of termagaunts, and you can see how suddently the Night Spinner has found it's purpose. Sure, Tyranids might not be the most competitive example, but I hope you can start thinking more about how valuable this tank can be.

Is it the final solution for Mech? No, but Eldar already have so many AT weapons anyway. We've been lacking anti-horde more than anything else, and I think that the utility of the Night Spinner comes not in it's initial hit, but the special rules which follow. What about those nob bikers? Ork mobs? Even terminators! The initial S6 barrage rending hit can still cause some damage to enemy infantry, but there is still some utility in making your opponent move through difficult, dangerous terrain.

One more thought: Doesn't each model have to take a dangerous terrain test? If so, doesn't that mean that there's a chance you can snipe those pesky special weapons and sergeants? If so, that's even MORE of a reason to take a Night Spinner! Let's also not forget that you can't use Feel No Pain against dangerous terrain wounds!

DrLove42
05-28-2010, 12:21 AM
One more thought: Doesn't each model have to take a dangerous terrain test? If so, doesn't that mean that there's a chance you can snipe those pesky special weapons and sergeants? If so, that's even MORE of a reason to take a Night Spinner! Let's also not forget that you can't use Feel No Pain against dangerous terrain wounds!

You make an interesting point, not just for this but in general. You have to allocate wounds, so do you allocate which dice is for which person in a squad? So an tactical squad loses 3 guys to the inital attack, then on the next turn rolls their 7 dice. Do they roll 7 at once, and then allocate the 1's or do they say "These 6 are for the marines and this one is for the sarge".

My interpretation is the former, just allocating the 1's, but what do other people play?

Dionysus
05-28-2010, 02:39 AM
It specifically says each model so you would have to designate which dice is for whom. Now if there are multiples of the same model, obviously rolling them all at once is advised, but the sarge rolls separately.

whitestar333
05-28-2010, 06:51 AM
It specifically says each model so you would have to designate which dice is for whom. Now if there are multiples of the same model, obviously rolling them all at once is advised, but the sarge rolls separately.

Okay it has been decided. I will not play my Eldar without at least one of these guys. I can hear the cries of "Eldar are CHEESY!" on the wind once again! It's been a while since I've heard that :-)

Now I'm reminiscing of the days of 3 Wraithlords back when they had 3 attacks instead of two, the 3-shot starcannon, and the crystal targeting matrix :D

Splug
05-28-2010, 10:45 AM
I don't have the WD right in front of me, but the link on page 1 indicates that the token is removed the next time the unit moves. So assuming it moves in the movement phase, it would not take further casualties in the shooting/assault phase (and is no longer automatically in difficult terrain on assault).

Eldar have plenty tools to get rid of hordes, just not much at 18"+. Scorpions, harlequins, dire avengers, and even guardians are great for putting down a huge barrage of small arms fire or melee wounds. The dangerous terrain checks are almost certainly a bigger problem than the template's own damage - it's AP -, and with the amount of terrain on boards most opponents will just get half the squad into it as soon as one barrage weapon is on the table (though that factor is inherently valuable as well).

It has potential, but I don't think it's any broken, overpowered must-have vehicle. It's not ridiculous, it's just good - which is fine.

Lemt
05-28-2010, 12:08 PM
That's actually not at all what I said. I said that taking a Night Spinner makes you give up a Fire Prism, which can actually kill tanks instead of just immobilizing them, and just does as good of a job against infantry. It's a case of "anything you can do I can do better."

-Dispersed Prism Cannon shot against 30 Boyz:
Assuming you hit 12, and they have no cover, 8 die.
Assuming you hit 12, and they have 4+ cover, 4 die.
-Dispersed Prism Cannon shot against 10 Space Marines:
Assuming you hit all 10, 2.22 die.
-Focused Prism Cannon Shot against 10 Space Marines:
Assuming you hit 7, and they have no cover, 5.83 die.
Assuming you hit seven, and they have 4+ cover, 2.92 die.
-Combined Dispersed Prism shot against 10 Space Marines with no cover:
Assuming you hit all 10, and they have no cover, 8.33 die.
Assuming you hit all 10, and they have 4+ cover, 4.17 die.

-Deathspinner Shot against 30 Boyz:
Assuming you hit 12, and they have no cover, 8.33 die, plus 3.61 from movement.
Assuming you hit 12, and they have 4+ cover, 5 die, plus 4.17 from movement.
Deathspinner shot against 10 Space Marines:
Assuming you hit all 10, 2.77 die, plus 1.2 from movement.

So Fire prisms are better only against cover-less Space Marines, and that's considering this mathhammer is HEAVILY bent to benefit Prisms, as they are nowhere near as precise as I put them to be. This is without even considering the advantages of hindering movement, and that you can also clip vehicles to force them to take difficult terrain tests (or even damage them directly with a lucky 3+6+D3).

davel
05-29-2010, 12:35 AM
To the above math hammer it is worth factoring in the dangerous terrain effect. you would be lucky to get 12 under the template. how ever if they move then all 30 boys are eligable targets. The rules state units so the trick may be to hit 2 squads of 30 orks ad either have the opposition have them stand about or risk the cassulties.
simply having one of these may force your opponent through cover as if they are going to make dangerous terrain rolls any way they may as well get a cover save. This may play in to our hands/ offer opportunities to exploit.

it strikes me that this kind of uber pinning. is in line wi codex BA who got a load of nasty wargear/ abilities to deal with hordes

The minimum range is interesting this 12 inch gap, may be intended for guardians to fill as a defense force. I'm wondering if when the new codex is redone we will see units with rules that leave gaps intended for guardians.

Dave l

DarkLink
05-29-2010, 10:00 AM
To the above math hammer it is worth factoring in the dangerous terrain effect. l

He did. It's just kinda buried in there. It could use some formatting to make it much more easily readable:p.

Lemt
05-29-2010, 06:45 PM
He did. It's just kinda buried in there. It could use some formatting to make it much more easily readable:p.

I'm too lazy to make it more readable, but you have a point. =)
Also, remember that barrage weapons CAN fire under their minimun range, but they require LoS to do so.

DarkLink
05-29-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm too lazy to make it more readable

Aren't we all:rolleyes:

DrWobbles
05-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Question: would a unit have to take a pinning test in the movement phase because it took a wound(failed dangerous terrain test) from a barrage weapon?

DarkLink
05-31-2010, 10:34 PM
No, I don't believe so. They took a wound from a failed dangerous terrain test. Sure, a pinning weapon was what caused them to take the test, but I see no reason to think that the pinning extends to the difficult terrain test as well.

Dionysus
05-31-2010, 11:13 PM
I hate this thing the more I think of it.

It clips my hormagaunt unit. If I move/run/assault the next turn (which hormagaunts are known to do) I could loose almost 46% of my unit.

It would only hurt them once, as once you move the token is removed. So it would be 1/6th or 16.6% of your unit.

The 12" minimum is only for if you fire indirectly. You can still fire directly at <12.