PDA

View Full Version : Blood Angels vs. Witch hunters??? ...Decision

Cejota15
05-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Hey there everyone,

I have been playing warhammar for a while and wanted to switch to 40k. I narrowed my to army choices to Blood Angels and Which hunters. I was wondering if any of you had a suggestion on which army I should start up, and why? Legitimate responces are MUCH appreciated :p

Thanks in advance!!
C15

Fizzics
05-23-2010, 06:06 PM
You should play blood angels.

1. GW will ALWAYS love space marines more than anyone else. You'll have more stuff to choose from.

2. I like playing an army that is sort of "rare". We don't need anymore Sisters players.

Melissia
05-23-2010, 06:14 PM
That's kinda douchey, Fizzics :P

I reccomend Sisters of Battle (IE, C:WH). The main reason si simple-- they're NOT Marines. They're ordinary humans in power armor, the most elite of the human forces. Being human, rather than a genetically modified, doped up, roid raging, hypnoticaly conditioned, mind-wiped super-human super freak, and yet having such unshakeable resolve and being wiling to throw down your life for the Emperor and Imperium is just badass, whereas Marines aren't really anywhere near as much.

To paraphrase the Doom Marine, their will is strong, their cause is just, and their flamers are very, very numerous.

From a gameplay standpoint, their lists are actually quite easy to build, typically speaking. What matters is how you play the list, more than what you put in it (as long as you avoid certain points sink units).

JonnyRoxtar
05-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Blood angels have got the love at the moment. New stuff new rules , its all about the Blood Angels, and to be honest they are all that and a bag of potato chips.Ive heard grown men cry about how the Blood angels are too good, the codex too powerful. With that in mind there will be a lot of Blood Angels players around just now.

Witch hunters I havent seen on the battlefield at all. I hear a lot of people say theyre are building a Witch Hunters army but they must be taking their time cos I havent seen them yet.

Blood Angels are cheaper to get an army out. Mostly Plastics and new bits means you have scope for a lot of easy unique marines.

Witch Hunters are mostly metal but the scope for conversions is almost limitless for some of the units.

Id love both armies tbh. Ive gone for a Blood Angels succesor chapter first though cos its quicker and cheaper to get an army done.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
05-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Personally, I'd recommend the Witch Hunters/Sisters of Battle. They're much less common, are something different, while Blood Angels are simply assaulty marines in a space marine dominated hobby. Plus, power armoured fanatic crusading holy space nuns. YES.

Keep in mind that you don't really have to choose one or the other - Witch Hunters can be allied to other Imperial armies, so you could have a Blood Angels and Witch Hunters mixed army! Try sticking a Sanguinary Priest in a huge blob of Battle Sisters, and watch 'em become more durable than standard marines. Rules shenanigans aside, the mixed army would be pretty fun to model, perhaps have them share iconography, for instance. Deploying Seraphim alongside Sanguinary Guard would look pretty damn cool, and Sanguinor's rules would be great for a Living Saint (heck, he even gives blessings to the troops).

DarkLink
05-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Keep in mind that you don't really have to choose one or the other - Witch Hunters can be allied to other Imperial armies, so you could have a Blood Angels and Witch Hunters mixed army!

For now. Don't count on this lasting for too long.

Sangre
05-23-2010, 07:12 PM

I reccomend Sisters of Battle (IE, C:WH). The main reason si simple-- they're NOT Marines. They're ordinary humans in power armor, the most elite of the human forces. Being human, rather than a genetically modified, doped up, roid raging, hypnoticaly conditioned, mind-wiped super-human super freak, and yet having such unshakeable resolve and being wiling to throw down your life for the Emperor and Imperium is just badass, whereas Marines aren't really anywhere near as much.

To paraphrase the Doom Marine, their will is strong, their cause is just, and their flamers are very, very numerous.

From a gameplay standpoint, their lists are actually quite easy to build, typically speaking. What matters is how you play the list, more than what you put in it (as long as you avoid certain points sink units).

Like to point out that Melissia is colossally biased towards her particular brand of power-armour-toting wannabe-marines. The Sisters suffer from a codex that is is dire, dire need of an update.

plasticaddict
05-23-2010, 07:22 PM
There are several items to consider:

Determine what point level your local group plays at and look at the cost of building each army to that point level, allowing of the fact that you will want have some options.

Do you have a lot of SoB or BA players in your area? How many of each? Bearing in mind that you need to find out if there are any serious BA players not just flavor of the month players.

If you go with SoB you can add in allied BA, of course if you build a BA list you can add allied SoB so it's a toss up.

Do you prefer painting metal or plastic? BA are almost all plastic, SoB are almost all metal.

BA have a new Codex that will be in use for several years, Sob are due for an update, hopefully soon.

If you build a SoB army that is what you will have, if you build a BA army you have the ability to play under the different Marine Codices.

Both armies have a lot of options and you can build similar lists so it really comes down to personal preferance.

BTW, I have some SoB in my armies and I'm using the BA codex to build another Marine army.

Necrosis
05-23-2010, 07:50 PM
As a sister of battle player I recommend to two things.
Either A, play blood angels or B, wait for a new sister codex to come out. Right now all sisters have metal models making the army expensive and have outdated rules.
Now their is also option C. Which is make a blood angel army with sisters of battle as allies.

Melissia
05-23-2010, 08:05 PM
plasticaddict: People have used Marines models to "count as" Sisters, using the Counts As rule in the BRB. By that logic, you can also use Sisters to "Count As" Marines.

Which has the added bonus of pissing off overzealous Marine fanboys for obvious reasons, so that's a definite bonus.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
05-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Sangre when are you going to get off your self proclaimed high moral standing and stop claiming that Sisters of Battle are just wannabe Fanboy Space Marines?

Sisters are Battle are never intended, would not claim to be and are most definetly NOT Male Over sized, steroid induced nutcasses Space Marines.
So stop your crap, we get it you dont like SoB or Female SM, good for you, now stop your whinging and let people enjoy them if they do.

plasticaddict
05-23-2010, 09:52 PM
plasticaddict: People have used Marines models to "count as" Sisters, using the Counts As rule in the BRB. By that logic, you can also use Sisters to "Count As" Marines.

Which has the added bonus of pissing off overzealous Marine fanboys for obvious reasons, so that's a definite bonus.

True, that is option that I didn't think of, SoB Serapim and BA are very closely equipped. Personally I have not seen anyone "count as" a SoB army. Interesting idea though, I may have to give it a try at our next tournament.

CrusherJoe
05-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Ok I going to add something to the pot, to illustrate a point, and then I'm going to give the =I= warning that if the overall level of name-calling, thinly-veiled insults and overall childishness in thread doesn't drop like a rock...its gonna get the lock. So let it be written, so let it be done...

My statement? Oh, right.

I will preface my statement by saying I two SM armies, one CSM army, and have a WH army on the painting table, so you know I'm not playing favorites.

There are NO MORALLY SUPERIOR ARMIES IN THE40K UNIVERSE. THERE ARE NO "GOOD GUYS".

That's right, you heard me: NONE.

Melissa, before you run through your litany of what you consider negative traits of the Space Marines....keep in mind YOUR pet army is effectively a brain-washed group of women that blindly serve a "god emperor" not out of true faith, but out of indoctrinated layer after layer of dogma, teaching and training that is probably none less strenuous than what a marine endures (relatively speaking, that is) and are the pit bulls of the most repressive, paranoid religious organization possible that operates with absolute power granted and enforced by the government. The are so warped that should they commit some imaginary "sin" they turn themselves over to a sadistic mistress to be violently violated, practice auto-flagellation and then be driven at the lash to effectively suicide themselves in the name of their god.

Guess what modern-day group does this sounds like? C'mon, think, I know you can figure this out...

I have 3 words for you: glass, houses, rocks.

Now...having said that, SMs are no better on the religion front, but at least the boys that become SMs do so by choice...

But considering that both armies are but cogs in a much more vile, oppressive and repressive apparatus...neither of them can make a claim of being "better" or "more righteous".

In fact, to.return to the OP's topic: screw the fluff. You choices are vampire-wanna-be's or fanatical raving nuns with guns. Whichever sounds better to you, pick that and run with it. You'll be happier in the long run...I promise.

So, before the next time anyone here thinks about flopping out a litany of loaded words and phrases in support of their favorite army...

Stop.

Take a breath. Hell, take 2 or 3.

Repeat after me: "It's only game. It is a wonderful game that has many aspects and challenges you on many fronts...but it Is still just a game."

....and if you still feel like launching a verbal stud....well, don't. Log off and go do something else until your childish temper-fit has passed.

I'll be watching this thread...and maybe the worst offenders. Rein it in.

Sangre
05-24-2010, 02:34 AM
Sangre when are you going to get off your self proclaimed high moral standing and stop claiming that Sisters of Battle are just wannabe Fanboy Space Marines?

Sisters are Battle are never intended, would not claim to be and are most definetly NOT Male Over sized, steroid induced nutcasses Space Marines.
So stop your crap, we get it you dont like SoB or Female SM, good for you, now stop your whinging and let people enjoy them if they do.

Soon as Melissia gets off hers.

Fun fact: I had no problem with the Sisters before Melissia started proclaiming them the holier-than-thou true inheritors of the fecking Imperium.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
05-24-2010, 05:53 AM
Guess you never read the previous post Sangre.

Back on topic, both armies have there merits and worth.
Firstly to date yes SM get more loving from GW, yes they have more toys, bigger tanks, more weapons, more rules blah blah blah...im sick of seeing how much they get really.

SoB on the other hand have as yet not recieved a new codex but still can play equally well against any army, how do i know, well i own a 10k+ SoB army and i practically never lose. To date only a few times out of every game i play.
There strengths are close support weapons, strong CC, Faith unique jump infantry, and options for Inquisitors or assassins. To name a few.

Fluff wise, nearly every gaming club ive been to has a over abundance of SM players, my local club has a 50% SM players. Im the only SoB player there. So if your looking for a unique army no one is playing then play SoB. They look fantastic, sculpted impressively, and have miniatures though that lack conversion possibilities, are more visually appealing that any SM army to date. Unique characters asside.
Now, at some point the SoB will be upgraded, and then you can gauranty you will have an army better looking that regular SM armies like everyone is playing.
It doesnt make a difference if your playing Smurfs, BA's DA's, SW's or any other SM army they all look the same, have the same feel and everyone plays them.

Im biased yes, im proud to admit it, but i once owned a 10K+ Dark Angel army too until i sold it and i played that army for many yes. So dont anyone think i dont know from experience what SM's are like.
I have over 20 years of 40k experience under my belt.

Go with what you feel you like, if Blood Angels suits your look, fluff and painting style there a perfectly great army, if you like the Monastic, religious feel of the SoB then play them, or for something treuly different play them both as allies.
Play BA's as the parent army and allie SoB into them.

Sangre
05-24-2010, 06:54 AM
Angels have the better list, the better models, and the better support. Does that make them a better army? No. Does it make them more fun to collect? Depends. Does that change your mind? ONLY YOU CAN ANSWER THIS.

Fizzics
05-24-2010, 01:17 PM

No need for name calling, it's called Tongue-in-cheek.

Really and truly it is all up to the OP. Space Marines are a much easier army to play and to collect that our girls. Of course we could get plastic girls, and that might change, but right now they are expensive.

Sisters are also a tough army to master. The things they are good at (close range shooting) is hard for a new or inexperienced player to master. I can't recall if the OP said he/she was either, but that is something to keep in mind.

They will also play very differently. Sisters are close range shooting, and Blood Angels are more assaulty. it is all about what tickles your fancy more.