PDA

View Full Version : Cygnar 15pt Mangle Metal List

Defiance
05-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Well I have a 15pt Mangle Metal Tournament coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm still sort of undecided on a list. Really it's only one Jack choice I'm struggling with. So far I have:

pCaine
two Hunters
The big question is, Centurion or Defender???

Both bring someting different and valuable to the field. And I've had success with both jacks in playtesting. Any help would be appreciated :)

CrashTestDummy
05-23-2010, 07:26 PM
I think it depends on what you want from your heavy. The Centurion is great at sucking up damage at Arm 21 and if you are able to use his shield special action great on defense. Since everything else in your army is ranged it might not be a bad bet.

The defender is nice, but I don't think it adds all that much. I think if you brought him you'd have to play a little more aggressively with it then you would with the centurion. I personally have started using my Defenders very aggressively, trying to get them into combat with their shock hammer. With mat 7, they are nothing to laugh at since they won't have to boost to hit on most targets. And as long as what they are going after is sufficiently softened up, they can take down a jack, generally being okay with just rolling straight dice or even getting the charge.

If you want to play aggressively, I'd go with the defender. If you want to play defensively, I'd go for the centurion.

One other option, have you considered a hammersmith? I haven't played him with Caine, but I think he is a great heavy. He would be able to take down hard targets, and with follow up and his chain attack can set-up some unseen assassination runs. Prevents your opponent from screening their caster with their jacks.

Either way, let us know how it works out

scadugenga
05-28-2010, 06:30 PM
I'd ditch on the defender. You don't have any real melee capability with your list.

And the Hunters and Caine are squishy. All that needs to happen to Caine is to get a near miss with a blast template and he's hurting.

Honestly? I'd substitute a Charger for at least 1 Hunter. And then go either the Hammersmith (for damage output) or Centurion (for damage absorption/dealing). The Charger's just as squishy, but 1 focus to boost both attack and damage is golden.

Or go full out, swap both Hunters for Chargers and go for the Thunderhead.

Defiance
06-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Well, it's only a few days out for the comp and i still haven't really made my choice yet. Thanks for the replies guys, I'm gonna run with the Defender, mainly because it was in the starting list and I like seeing people's face when you shoot at something 20" away:D

The Comp didn't allow Character Jack's sadly, but anyway.

scadugenga: I'm not a fan of the Charger in Mangle Metal games, standard games yeah I do like it. Just doesn't have the punch I'm after.

CrashTestDummy:I am aiming to play very aggressively, and the Hammersmith is most certainly on my to get list. Just didn't have one at the time otherwise it would be in there.

Anyway's..... Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated. I'll let you know how I go:)

scadugenga
06-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Good luck!

Defiance
06-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Well had the Tourney over the weekend and it was awesome fun. So much brutality in 5 games was brilliant!

Guess I should mention the result, there was 14 players and................ I took out First with 4wins:D (3 warcaster death, 1 jack destruction) and a Draw (5 damage boxes on two Jacks from being a win).

Thanks again for the replies and advice guys:)

scadugenga
06-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Gratz!

So what worked for you, tactics wise, and what didn't quite work out the way you had planned?

Defiance
06-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks scadugenga.

It was the range, with Snipe it was just crazy. I targeted Jacks first, then Warcaster if the chance arose. Two warcaster kills were from people just getting too close. Both times moved Caine forward with snipe two shots later it was over. Third one was Karchev a bit tougher as it took two rounds of shooting to bring him down. I also spread out a fair bit so if they could charge it'd only be one jack they could get. And as for what didn't work...... everything just kinda worked. People just couldn't close quick enough to be effective once they got to thier engagement ranges. Only one person made it to melee and that was the Karchev player.

CrashTestDummy
06-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Glad it all worked out and congrats on the win! You should move your Caine up to his epic version in honor of his victory.

Defiance
06-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks CrashTest. The thought did cross my mind:)