PDA

View Full Version : Imperail Guard Infantry BLOBS.

Force21
05-21-2010, 11:56 PM
Well....as the title says....

Are Blobs worth it...pointswise?

This is how I usually run them...

Priest...Eviscerator.
Commissar...Power Weapon.
5 Squads bunched up W/ Grenade Launchers.
Sgts...Melta Bombs, Power Weapons.

Sorry...I am just bored & don't have much to do & I want to know what other people run.

Hugz4Genestealers
05-22-2010, 12:57 AM
If you'd take my two cents, as a primarily non-guard player, I'd agree with you that the infantry blob has its place on the battlefield, but certainly isn't an all-purpose formation. For example, sitting fourty guys on top of an objective is pretty much guaranteed to deny it to your enemy, but I'd stick with my chimeras for moving up and around the battlefield to redeploy as necessary.

Schnitzel
05-22-2010, 11:39 AM
I've seen 'em used to bubble-wrap tank gunlines. Objective squating as well... however they die very easily... To assault. :P

Tynskel
05-22-2010, 02:12 PM
As the rules allow you to use them, they are intended to be flexible: game by game basis of using them as a giant squad or individual squads.

SonicPara
05-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Commissar-led infantry blobs are great unless you are facing a SM force with Telion as he will pick off your Commissars and turn your iron-willed masses of infantry into trembling cowards

RocketRollRebel
05-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Commissar-led infantry blobs are great unless you are facing a SM force with Telion as he will pick off your Commissars and turn your iron-willed masses of infantry into trembling cowards

Burn the old ******* out with your hellhound! Problem solved :)

Blobs are pretty useful IMO even tho I don't use them much. I just feel you have to build for them and yours looks about right. Do you run Straken too? He really makes them a good time. Actually Straken makes everything awesome.

my 2 cents

Darkwynn
05-23-2010, 08:41 AM
waste of points I think... but Jwolf likes them at times but only to screw around with.

thecactusman17
05-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Blobs are just fine pointswise because you are never forced to blob them. They allow your 25 kill point army to be 15 points (or maybe less!). They defeat almost anything and everything in close combat that they can wound, and many things that they can't.

The only thing that you have to do for them is give them a commissar. Without a commissar, your opponent can hit the loosest bunch of guys way off on one side and not be subjected to 60+ return attacks, thus possibly surviving the combat, winning it severely, and running your entire squad down in one round of combat!

DarkLink
05-23-2010, 03:33 PM
waste of points I think... but Jwolf likes them at times but only to screw around with.

I'd have to agree.

If you only have one, or maybe two squads, then a couple flamers will drop their numbers significantly enough that they are no longer very intimidating to a quality assault unit or two.

If you have an army of them that can afford to take casualties, then you lose so many other tactical options that a good opponent will just avoid them and win anyways.

Dbrinson
05-23-2010, 06:36 PM
well i believe in using the commissars when i run a gun line(non-mechanized guard). i found that having a bigger unit of combined guard around 30 is worth having a commissar with a power weapon. or a hidden priest with an evisorator. i have had some success but nothing in competitive play. (did mow down that tau player once). Creed and Furious charge and all.

Melissia
05-23-2010, 08:24 PM
I've seen some devastating arty and tank lists that used cheap Guard blobs as a shield. But if you aren't playing kill points, it can actually be better to NOT combine them if you intend to use them as shields. Let the enemy destroy a squad in their assault phase-- they can't, after all, consolidate into another assault. So it leaves their *** hanging in the wind.

Dionysus
05-23-2010, 10:36 PM
I play mech guard, 5 russes 5 chimeras 2 valks and a manticore. I have one 4 squad platoon that i blob and use to, as someone else said, bubble wrap my gun line. Wrap those meat shields around the russes and they have to be routed before my opponent can assault my tanks. In objective missions I make them 4 individual squads so i have 8 scoring units. All i give the squad are 2 auto cannons so that they can contribute a little if there is no one around.

Lerra
05-23-2010, 11:28 PM
It depends a lot on local meta, too. Locally, we have one blob infantry IG player who consistently places in the top 3 at tournaments. We have few flamers and good anti-horde tools in the area because there are few competitive horde players. Most lists are heavy mech or elite troops.

He runs Straken and Al'Rahem with 3 blobs and some support. You've got a squad of 55 guardsmen with a half-dozen power weapons, fleet, outflank, and furious charge. It can actually do a lot of damage in close combat.

Majorcrash
05-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Too me the blob is like playing nids, only one tactic sit and take it. Or on the case of Nids run and eat. I have been runing IG since 2nd ed back with the sticks and big heads. One of my bigest problems was the drop pod force with some big nastys. Lysander, Mephiston, etc. The solution is a linda blob. HQ with lasC, sniper and medic (tell you why in a minute) astropath. 1st platoon -4 sqds grenade lnchr, missle lnchr. plt cmd lac C 2x snipers. 2 autoC squads. 2nd platoon- plt cmd 2x plasma rifle, 2x meltagun, Lt & commssiar plasma pistol & pwr swd. ride in Valkyre rocket pods. 2 sqd- plasma rilfe, Commisar & sgt plasma pistol & pwr swd ride in Vendetta each.
3rd platoon (combined sqd) cmd Lt & commissar Plasma pistol pwr wpn / pwr fist, 2 sqds- plasma rifles.
Primairis psycher rides win valkyre.
Without the heavy tanks its challenging but it comes as a big surprise to most SM / Csm players. All the plasma wears down sm squads quick and I have numbers to take the assaults. vehilcles are usually gone after two turn with the the right combo of orders. The HQ squad must be in the middle to make this work. the advance combined platoon cant be ignored as it will sit on objectives and has decent firepower. PLus the Vendettas take care of any real nastys with a little help of the guys inside. My favorite is the psycher who guarentees me at least one kill and that makes the difference on HtH. So far no losses but will see this weekend as I take on a Lysander army again who stomp a mud hole in my A** last time.

Rissan4ever
05-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Blobs have different used depending on the enemy and the objective. As has been said, they're great for denying an objective, and blob with a Commissar is an excellent tarpit. But they're lousy for advancing because they're so large that there's always some schmuck in difficult terrain holding up the rest of his platoon.

You can advance and even take objectives with them, but you need at least two blobs to do it, you have to put a Commissar in each one, and you have to be prepared for the fact that two thirds of your Guardsmen are going to be dead by the time you reach the objective. Personally, I can't stomach taking that many casualties, not to mention sinking that many points into them. What I do instead is run a 30-man blob with a Commissar to hold the home objective or maybe grab one near my DZ. I give them 2 Heavy Bolters and a Missile Launcher to make it a little harder to get close to them. The rest of my infantry is 3 squads of mechanized Vets. They're the ones that actually take the objectives, with support from armor/Stormtroopers/Ogryns as appropriate.

BuFFo
05-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Take the Priest out of the blob and you've got a great tar pit unit.

Priests just die in the first round of combat when I use them, so fo rme they seem to be a giant points sink.

Stick in a few Melta guns for anti-tank shocking, krak grenades for extra tank busting, and your blob is set to take on the world!

Majorcrash
05-24-2010, 02:38 PM
blobs have different used depending on the enemy and the objective. As has been said, they're great for denying an objective, and blob with a commissar is an excellent tarpit. But they're lousy for advancing because they're so large that there's always some schmuck in difficult terrain holding up the rest of his platoon.

You can advance and even take objectives with them, but you need at least two blobs to do it, you have to put a commissar in each one, and you have to be prepared for the fact that two thirds of your guardsmen are going to be dead by the time you reach the objective. Personally, i can't stomach taking that many casualties, not to mention sinking that many points into them. What i do instead is run a 30-man blob with a commissar to hold the home objective or maybe grab one near my dz. I give them 2 heavy bolters and a missile launcher to make it a little harder to get close to them. The rest of my infantry is 3 squads of mechanized vets. they're the ones that actually take the objectives, with support from armor/stormtroopers/ogryns as appropriate.

guardsmen are like doritos, "eat them will make more"

Force21
05-26-2010, 02:56 AM
Take the Priest out of the blob and you've got a great tar pit unit.

Priests just die in the first round of combat when I use them, so for me they seem to be a giant points sink.

yeah they can die real easily...

but most of the time they can at least make up there points...

at 'Ard Boyz my Priest took four S. 10 thunder hammer (Lysander) & two power fist wounds...& he saved em all.... I was amazed that he survived...

& then the Priest said hello to Mr. Lysander...with his Eviscerator.

guardsmen are like doritos, "eat them will make more"

LOL.

Lord Azaghul
05-26-2010, 06:31 AM
I personally have never seen the overall benefit to blobbing, I usually only take one platoon in my list, and run the 10 man squads with flamers and melta bombs. I want my 10man squads to die in combat so I can shoot you next turn.

However I have a friend how blobs 3 sqauds with autocannnons, uses them as booth a shield and to lay down some med/heavy fire power.

It mainly depends upon ones army build and function.

Grubbslinger
05-26-2010, 07:41 AM
I usually use a small 30 man blob as a shield for my vets that are going to do the heavyier lifting. Most of the people I play spend more time shooting the blob then at my other stuff, allowing my melta to get into better range before its dealt with.