PDA

View Full Version : Shields up... RAMMING SPEED!

ZenPaladin
05-21-2010, 12:17 PM
So Eldar Grav Tanks..

Fast.. Tanks.. Skimmers. Seems to me there is a lot of potential there for Ramming. With guarenteed hits and STR's in the 8 and 9 range with carefull movement I can see a reall threat to side, rear and Rhino armor.

Anyone out there ever swaped paint with their Falcon's and Serpents? how did that work out for you?

Splug
05-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Two or three weeks ago, I was playing a game against CSM. Over the course of the game, he managed to take both the heavy weapons off my falcon, so I attempted a 23" ram against his land raider. I ended up wrecking the land raider, and ended up being shaken thanks to the holo-field/spirit stones.

Later that night I pulled a 20" ram on a rhino. I shook the rhino, but he threw a 4 and a 6 for the holo-field, causing it to immobilize (and subsequently wreck for going flat out).

Weaponless falcons, particularly due to holo-fields, are an amazing cruise missile. When the fire dragons are dead and there's nothing else left to do, go slam into someone! It can backfire, but the odds are in your favor.

DarkLink
05-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Fast Land Raiders also work fantastically here. They can get up to STR 10, as well.

Nabterayl
05-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Who has Fast Land Raiders?

Folkert0
05-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Who has Fast Land Raiders?

Blood Angels? I'm not sure though, but I thought all BA tanks where fast thanks to those beefed up engines they've got.. red ones go faster or atleast that's what GW believes :p

Tynskel
05-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Lucifer Armored Task Force;
All vehicles in the formation have fast... cost 200 points, and you need a land raider, captain, and a tactical squad minimum.

pbagosy
05-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Anyone out there ever swaped paint with their Falcon's and Serpents? how did that work out for you?

I was in a match against an Eldar player who spent the first three turns attempting to pop my Land Raider which was camped out on an objective. On turn four, he threw a Serpent the full 36" across the board at me - each of us took S10 hits. Land Raider was shaken, Serpent blew off the turret.

Turn five, he backs up 36".

Turn six, he rams me again. Result? I lost a sponson, he was immobilized. Game ended with both vehicles contesting the objective.

-pb

Nabterayl
05-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Blood Angels? I'm not sure though, but I thought all BA tanks where fast thanks to those beefed up engines they've got.. red ones go faster or atleast that's what GW believes :p
Land Raiders are the only vehicles in the BA dex that aren't Fast (well, except for walkers and drop pods). Thank goodness :p

Lucifer Armored Task Force;
All vehicles in the formation have fast... cost 200 points, and you need a land raider, captain, and a tactical squad minimum.
Ah, thanks.

I was in a match against an Eldar player who spent the first three turns attempting to pop my Land Raider which was camped out on an objective. On turn four, he threw a Serpent the full 36" across the board at me - each of us took S10 hits. Land Raider was shaken, Serpent blew off the turret.

Turn five, he backs up 36".

Turn six, he rams me again. Result? I lost a sponson, he was immobilized. Game ended with both vehicles contesting the objective.

-pb
That is an awesome story ... though I should note that the Serpent can only move 24" in the Movement phase <EDIT>yes, yes that means serpents can still get S10 hits, I can do math really I can Mr. Inquisitor Sir</EDIT>. Star Engine movement happens in the Shooting phase.

DarkLink
05-21-2010, 04:11 PM
And that's another use for Baal predators, too. Lose your gun? No problem, you can still ram stuff and get in str 9 hits. Those things are way underpriced:rolleyes:.

scadugenga
05-21-2010, 09:55 PM
I've found using my wave serpents as ramming platforms works marvelously against Ork battlewagons.

Most I've done is get stunned...and have racked up 3 BW kills in the process.

blackarmchair
05-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Land Raiders are the only vehicles in the BA dex that aren't Fast (well, except for walkers and drop pods). Thank goodness :p

Even the Dreads can be fast if upgraded with Wings of Sanguinius...

Stoopid BA

davel
05-22-2010, 05:01 AM
fire prisms that lose their guns become flying missiles. In general though eldar tanks do seem to come worst off ( just my perception, or my dice rolling)
can be worth it depending on circumstance
is mission anialate? a prism with no gun may be worth more to you alive.
is there any thing else that can take down the threat and does the threat need taking down?
There can also be milage in parking your tank in front of transports as either the tank has to go round or occupants (been an age since I have played agaist a hunter killer) have to deal with it. Either way great delaying tactic.

with falcons and serpents the ramming option depends on have you dropped off your cargo ( unless cargo is 5 dire advengers) and do you have decent guns left.

I did have a bad match against dark eldar. I theory ramming his raiders was a good move. reality proved other wise

dave l

ZenPaladin
05-24-2010, 02:39 PM
hmm Good point.

Often times I supose I would be better off moving a little tank wall in front of his rhino and making it go around instead of ramming. I'm just looking for ways to get more AT out of vehicles that have to pay way too much for brightlances to hit at BS3.

I'd love to see the Eldar get some sort of Force Ram upgrade though.. the idea of Falcon's swooping out of the air and blasting right through some cheep Mon-Keigh scrap is just too cool..