PDA

View Full Version : Spearhead: Discussion/Reviews

Torcano
05-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Well I just picked up my June WD today and of course flipped directly to the Spearhead section (well, first section, some genius decided to spread the Spearhead stuff throughout instead of in one section). I wasn't sure what to expect in the way of length and depth as it has been some time since WD actually published rules supplements, but I sure was mighty excited. Anyway, here's a quick overview:

-the actual Spearhead rules themselves take up about 8 pages, including the new Force Org chart and the new "Spearhead formations" along with it.
-a "Spearhead Formation" is taken separate and outside your normal force organization. You may take up to one Spearhead of each 'type' (12 types in total, found on GW website)
-not going to get into details but just for anyone wondering, yes you can use all the other troop types (infantry etc) in your Spearhead games. Obviously with altered Force Org though.

Example: Tank Hunters Spearhead - 60 pts + models (up to 3 tanks/walkers), gains Tank Hunters rule
-the last half of the article consists mainly of missions, deployments, and the like

Personally, this looks like a pretty top-notch supplement for being essentially free. Brings a unique and interesting new style of gameplay that is entirely optional for players. So people who love tanks can have the battle they dreamed of (outside Apoc) and everyone else can go on as they were.

So what does everyone think of this expansion?

Also included in the issue:
-a Spearhead-related "Liber Apocalyptica" article: Spearhead in Apoc. games and a bunch of new formations (mostly Eldar if I remember correctly, maybe all)
-rules for the Eldar Night Spinner (with a NS formation in Apoc section)
-article on choosing a BA army list

Overall for me this is the best WD in recent memory, I highly suggest you pick up a copy!

BuFFo
05-21-2010, 11:04 AM
What is the point of Spearhead again?

Don't we have the basic 40k game and Apocalypse, that do essentially the same thing?

DoctorEvil
05-21-2010, 11:15 AM

Don't we have the basic 40k game and Apocalypse, that do essentially the same thing?

That's a dumb question.....everyone knows the point of Spearhead is artificially inflate White Dwarf sales for one month!!!!

:)

Lerra
05-21-2010, 01:42 PM
That looks much better than I was expecting. It seems like a lot of fun =)

Nabterayl
05-21-2010, 01:48 PM

This is just me, but I think GW feels like Apocalypse is the "big game" variant. Cities of Death, Planetstrike, and Spearhead (as I understand it) are all meant to be played at the level of a normal 40K game.

BuFFo
05-21-2010, 07:19 PM
This is just me, but I think GW feels like Apocalypse is the "big game" variant. Cities of Death, Planetstrike, and Spearhead (as I understand it) are all meant to be played at the level of a normal 40K game.

I understand what you mean, but, the point is, if you want to play with all vehicles, aren't we basically doing that now anyway, and if not, you can just do it anyway.

I am against Apocalypse games, just for he fact that before it was called Apocalypse, it was just called 'Big Games' and people have been playing big games for decades. All GW did was brand the house rule style of playing, and put a price tag on something that was/is essentially free to do.

Before Appoc, but AFTER 3rd edition, there was a resentment int eh gaming community about playing Big Games, as 3rd edition sucked in the foundation to all the tourney players we have today. If you asked these players to use your Tyranid Gargantuan Creatures, or Epic Cast Eldar Titans, they would laugh at you. What do we have today? Oh, it is okay to use those models because GW says so, so go out and buy 10 Baneblades.

I saw it personally. Before apoc it was "I wouldn't play against your tank army Buffo" and after Apoc it was "Hey Buffo, I just spent 500 bucks on tanks for APoc, so now it is okay to play big games agains!".

But hey, if people are stupid enough to buy 12 BloodThirsters or 12 Lemon Russes for that once a year game, so be it. I am sure GW doesn't mind.

Spearhead to me, sounds no different than Cities of Death or Planet Strike - you buy the book/DL the rules, and play only 3 games. The books then collect dust and that's it. In my local area, no one plays the supplemental games, because if we wanted to, we would do so with the basic 40k rules anyway.

Now, I know that "one poster" will swear he plays Cities and Apoc every single day. Whatever. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lobster-overlord
05-21-2010, 08:25 PM
But Buffo, I play Apoc every day! (Actually, I might get a chance to play once every 6 months...)

I agree that the basic rules are sufficient to play the larger games, but prior to Apoc, nobody I knew was ever willing to field huge numbers of forces like I would want to, irregardless of FOC and play just for fun. It opened up my style of play to more people.

i'm looking forward to Spearhead, hoping that it gives new options for ways to play tank units. I hate squadrons in the regular games because of the coherancey rules, and can never field enough for my tastes because of FOC limitations. I have skipped Cities of Death and Planetstrike mainly due to cost and lack of local interst. But with other tread heads around, Spearhead may have some viability for some games, even if short lived (which is why I'm happy it's relatively cheap compared to the other books).

JOhn M>

addamsfamily36
05-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Spearhead to me, sounds no different than Cities of Death or Planet Strike - you buy the book/DL the rules, and play only 3 games. The books then collect dust and that's it. In my local area, no one plays the supplemental games, because if we wanted to, we would do so with the basic 40k rules anyway.

I totally agree with you on aspects regarding APOC and planetstrike etc. i remember buyign cities of death and 5 minutes later was like why?

My old store used to play big games once a week and then super big games at special occasions. with gigantic WAAAAGHSto determine who got the first turn and all sorts. alas no more :( if anything apocolypse killed it making things far more complicated and one off than they needed to be, although i do like fact you can use your very expensive forgeworld stuff more regularly.

as for spearhead, i have hopes for it. reasons being, from what i understand, its an alternative force organization option meaning you can have one player using normal codex formation and one player using this alternative tank formation. I might be completely wrong until i get my copy or see a copy, but thats what it sounds like and if thats the case then i see no reason why it should fizzle out as quickly as ..sorry what was it called? planet bike? bonnet strike? oh yeh planet strike :)

BuFFo
05-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Don't get me wrong guys, I hope Spearhead is a fun and worth playing more than just twice...

addamsfamily36
05-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Don't get me wrong guys, I hope Spearhead is a fun and worth playing more than just twice...

you and me

Torcano
05-22-2010, 11:23 AM
As there seems to be some confusion, what Spearhead is:

-NORMAL sized games of 40k (although higher pt games are recommended due to pts cost of tanks)

-NORMAL Force Organization Chart, BUT with the addition of Spearheads.

-ALL Troops, Tanks/Walkers, and Spearheads are SCORING UNITS

-You may take up to one Spearhead of each type, of which there are 12 in total

-The way they work is XX pts + [pts of models], and each is up to 3 tanks/walkers (e.g. Tank Hunters Spearhead with 3 Fire Prisms[shuricannons+holo-fields] = 540 pts [60 for TH and 540 for units])

Examples:
Tank Hunters Spearhead: gain Tank Hunters SR
Armored Spearhead: gain a 5+ Inv save
Archeotech Spearhead: +1 weapon STR, but potential to overheat (im guessing also Gets Hot!)
Ambush Spearhead: not fully explained, but I think gains Scouts
Outrider Spearhead: up to 2 units may be assigned as "outriders" for another unit, and may take hits that land on that unit (e.g. Wave Serpent with 2 Falcons as Outriders, used to great effect in battle report)
Mechanized Assault Spearhead: not fully explained, but for troop transport
Crusher Spearhead: not fully explained, but enhances ramming

-These will be found on GW website, but as of yet i can't find them anywhere (very frustrated by this, they are so lazy with all parts of website except store. the Current White Dwarf Issue lists MARCH.)

-IN ADDITION to the Spearheads themselves there is also 3 new missions and 3 new deployments that are designed specifically for use with the expansion

Torcano
05-22-2010, 11:27 AM
as for spearhead, i have hopes for it. reasons being, from what i understand, its an alternative force organization option meaning you can have one player using normal codex formation and one player using this alternative tank formation. I might be completely wrong until i get my copy or see a copy, but thats what it sounds like and if thats the case then i see no reason why it should fizzle out as quickly as ..sorry what was it called? planet bike? bonnet strike? oh yeh planet strike :)

It's nothing like this, and what you propose would completely change 40k and be impossibly difficult to balance. If you really want to fight a battle of tanks vs. normal army, you can do that with several normal codex already, especially with Imperial Guard.

This is an expansion that allows you to play a modified 40k, with different missions, deployments, and the OPTION of taking Spearhead units with your normal army. These missions are much more conducive to a tank-heavy battle.

addamsfamily36
05-22-2010, 12:16 PM
It's nothing like this, and what you propose would completely change 40k and be impossibly difficult to balance. If you really want to fight a battle of tanks vs. normal army, you can do that with several normal codex already, especially with Imperial Guard.

This is an expansion that allows you to play a modified 40k, with different missions, deployments, and the OPTION of taking Spearhead units with your normal army. These missions are much more conducive to a tank-heavy battle.

alright chill

But from what you have just said, spearhead works alongside normal force organization. Does it say you have to have your opponents permission to use? does it say both players have to be using spearhead rules to allow a player to take a spearhead in their force? if so then fair enough but you haven;t put that, if not then you could play a spearhead army versus a normal 40k list in an everyday game. But if the supplement or rules in the white dwarf say things like "you may use these rules to play spearhead games" or "these rules need your opponents permisson" etc then its a different story.

I did say i might be wrong seeing as i haven't got my copy yet as its not out for another week here unless you have a subscription.

ArmyC
05-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Being an Eldar player, if I get to take some stuff from my Heavy slot, it is all good.

So are all the rules in WD or is it just a taste? Is there going to be a book, or just DL from the GW site?

Melissia
05-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Huh. 3x Exorcists with Tankhunters.

Sanguinary Dan
05-24-2010, 03:09 PM
I suppose I'll have to wait till middle of the month again to have my issue arrive. So glad I've kept my subscription for 14 years.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to Spearhead just to see how GW thinks armored combat works.

Though honestly I'm thinking it will be just another way to prevent dust from touching the actual shelf in a month or so. Yes, I'm looking at you Planetstrike, Apocalypse and Cities of Death! :rolleyes:

DarkLink
05-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Huh. 3x Exorcists with Tankhunters.

I'm looking forward to outflanking stuff, if at all possible. I'll have to see if anyone in my group has the rules.

Asymmetrical Xeno
05-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Given that Tanks disinterest me I dont really care for Spearhead - but its obvious alot of people DO love tanks, so hey..cool for them, I hope they enjoy it. It sounds decent enough to me from flicking through WD at the store, and has come with more plastic kits which is always good.

Atrotos
05-24-2010, 06:22 PM
It all comes down to tournaments. If your local area TO's pick up Spearhead as a balanced addition to normal 40k ( and therefore appropriate for tournaments) then Spearhead will catch on. Otherwise it gets hit with the 'unofficical' stick and ignored. People want to pretend that every game is practice for a tournament - even if they only attend one twice a year.

Torcano
05-24-2010, 06:29 PM
alright chill

But from what you have just said, spearhead works alongside normal force organization. Does it say you have to have your opponents permission to use? does it say both players have to be using spearhead rules to allow a player to take a spearhead in their force? if so then fair enough but you haven;t put that, if not then you could play a spearhead army versus a normal 40k list in an everyday game. But if the supplement or rules in the white dwarf say things like "you may use these rules to play spearhead games" or "these rules need your opponents permisson" etc then its a different story.

I did say i might be wrong seeing as i haven't got my copy yet as its not out for another week here unless you have a subscription.

Sorry, no offence meant! But almost everything you asked was already answered in my last post. But I will attempt to clarify.

And by works alongside normal FO, I mean the Spearhead expansion FOC itself is no different. However, the Spearhead formations themselves are chosen outside normal FOC. Basically, you choose your army normally AND you can take one of each Spearhead. This works in exactly the same way as other units that do not "count" for FO slots. An example of this would be Honor Guard, which are an HQ choice but take up no slot.

That being said, you CANNOT play a Spearhead army against a normal army. It is NOT for everyday games. When I said the word "normal" it was only in relation to the FOC itself and the size of armies, in response to questions.

Spearhead is an expansion like Planetstrike. Games of Spearhead are organized ahead of time and are different game (albeit slightly) than 40k. Basically yes you must have opponents permission, but even more than that you pretty much have to plan to play a Spearhead battle ahead of time.

It is played with different missions and rules than a normal game, so yes you cannot just show up with a Spearhead army. The armies are NOT the only difference. You CAN take Spearheads in your army, but you dont have to. BUT the missions, deployments, and rules all lend themselves to using greater amounts of vehicles and therefore Spearheads.

As I mentioned previously, using the Spearhead expansion includes the Spearhead formations themselves (one of which is Superheavy Spearhead, which of course means Superheavy vehicles are in the game), the new rules (including ALL tanks/walkers count as scoring troops), and new missions (which are designed specifically for use with Spearheads). So while you can choose not to use Spearheads and play with a "normal" army, it is discouraged. However I could imagine players taking a highly "anti-tank" army into Spearhead games without using many or any of the formations themselves.

I think you might be just skimming my posts instead of reading them personally ;)

EDIT: I am 99% sure that the rules are WD only. But the Spearhead formations themselves are going to be on the GW website. Still aren't there yet though.

Kahoolin
05-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Sounds interesting. GW (well . . . Jervis) is always going on about narrative gaming, I think this seems like a good, simple way to encourage it.*

I wish you could pay points to add USRs to your units like the old vet skills in campaigns (obviously within reason). Seems like spearhead allows this in a way. That's the bit that stood out to me as interesting anyway.

*Note to BuFFo: I'm not talking about people like you, but all the newer players who need structure and encouragement before they'll venture away form standard games.

Torcano
05-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Yeah Kahoolin, that's whats most intriguing to me as well. They seem to be especially focusing on the idea of formations as "squadrons" that are basically veteran tank units. There is a whole section on marking your squadrons similarly or with squad marking so they look like a cohesive unit.

And its funny you mention that about vet. skills. The Tank Hunters Spearhead's special rule is called "Veteran Crews" or something similar and gives them Tank Hunters. I don't think all of them are like this, but enough that you can get that gist from it.

DarkLink
05-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Straight after that on the 01st of June we will be publishing the accompanying Spearhead formation rules here on www.games-workshop.com. You will need to be registered to access the content; registering is free and you can do it right here.

Source
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=10500090a

DrLove42
05-25-2010, 03:53 AM
Source
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=10500090a

Was about to say i read that they weren't putting the spearhead sheets up till after the WD issue is supposed to be released...although i remember reading the 5th June (day new models come out). Guess they changed their minds...

The other guy
06-06-2010, 08:15 AM
I personally feel a bit cheated by spearhead.

As a nid player, only 1 or 2 of the 10 spearhead rules apply for me.
Yes, im sure that using the monstrous creature spearhead to me field 6 trygons could be fun, but i want to have more choice! Every army with tanks have at least 7 spearheads to choose from.

Also, the bad wording about "Super Heavies" means that superheavy tanks are fine, but not gargantuan creatures. Again nids miss out. Im sure they didnt mean to (GW will take any chance to sell more forgeworld) but they have.

It is written so badly against Tyranids, I half expect Robin Cruddace wrote it!

Uncle Nutsy
06-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I like this new expansion. As a tau player I know I can field the seek and destroy, the superheavy, the armored, the ambush, tank hunters, and the skyfall spearhead, all in one game. Throw that onto the modified FOC and I get an UNGODLY amount of armour.

but my favorites have to be the skyfall for my ionhammers, the seek and destroy for a 15 strong piranha TX42 rush, and the superheavy where a tigershark AX10 can come to play.