PDA

View Full Version : Space wolves counts as

Sitnam
05-20-2010, 08:14 AM
I have been thinking of using the new SW codex for a while for a razorback/biker heavy army list. This would allow me to take a special weapon in each sqaud whilst noting having to take a 10 man squad. But I am not planning on running a SW army and they have no successor chapters. Would a marine army counting as SW be alright with most people if they faced such a situation?

DarkLink
05-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Most people don't (or at least shouldn't) care about the fluff so much that they would refuse to play against your army just because it's painted the wrong color.

And if they do refuse, then that tells you they're probably not someone you want to play anyways.

Lord Azaghul
05-20-2010, 09:09 AM
I have been thinking of using the new SW codex for a while for a razorback/biker heavy army list. This would allow me to take a special weapon in each sqaud whilst noting having to take a 10 man squad. But I am not planning on running a SW army and they have no successor chapters. Would a marine army counting as SW be alright with most people if they faced such a situation?

At absolute worst all some people will thing is that you're a flavor of the month player, but as long as you don't say they 'count as' blood angels the next week you should be fine.

Lerra
05-20-2010, 09:16 AM
I'd say about half of SW players are using the codex to represent a different chapter. I wouldn't worry about it. I use the SW codex to represent Blood Ravens.

Extinction Angel
05-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Yeah I use it for my Tzeentch Marines. It's a pretty versatile codex and I doubt anyone would seriously object. Just make it clear that you are using the SW rules. Some people REALLY hate non-WYSIWYG armies and the most anal retentive of the bunch would qualify counts-as as non-WYSIWYG, even if everyone had corresponding war gear.

plasticaddict
05-20-2010, 03:43 PM
I've been looking at the Blood Angles Codex to do a Razorback heavy list. Assault squads make Razorbacks very cost effective. You might take a look at them for you list.

DarkLink
05-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Yeah I use it for my Tzeentch Marines.

Well, that's ironic

Sitnam
05-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Well, that's ironic

Beat me to it. I've heard of khornate CSM from the SW, but not tzneetch.

Lerra
05-20-2010, 11:19 PM
The SW codex is great if you want to play a psyker-heavy army. SW still have the basic space marine toys that every other SM codex has, so you can run a wide variety of lists. I've seen some very shooty SW lists in addition to the traditional aggressive assault lists. You can do a lot with the codex.

Extinction Angel
05-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Yeah the ability to have 4 psyker HQs (that are worth taking) and a decent, mobile, shooty list pulled me in. Admittedly I've gotten a little carried away with the theme since then.

Squirrel_Fish
05-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Well, that's ironic

I've actually been considering starting a Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons army using the Space Wolf rules. Four Psykers and multiple special weapons (which I plan on modeling to make it look like dudes are using Psychic Powers to project that flamer template)? I'll bite.

Extinction Angel
05-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Exactly. The Thousand Sons are described as having a very methodical approach to war. Laying down ample ordinance to support a meticulous advance whilst pouring on the firepower.

There are a plethora of options that make it appealing for a pre-heresy list:
Heavy weapon squads that are versatile, mobile, and have a decent selection of HWs.
Dreadnoughts that don't flip out and start shooting your own troops.
Psykers with more than one or two decent powers.
Frost weapons.
Iron Priests.

Denzark
05-21-2010, 05:56 PM
CSW to have a bike heavy list? OK.

CSW and the troops painted pink/puce/sable/sky-blue orange? Yeah if you insist, my SW are all rogue trader grey with red-edged yellow wolf plates - except for the Rune Priest who is in bling gold armour.

But to represent Chaos? In your own fluff, you think this is good. But the rest if the world is wondering why you don't man up, dry your eyes, and soldier on with Gav Thorpe's nightmare...

Wanting to say you are a player of race x, but needing ruleset y makes you look either incapable or wanting to have your cake and eat it.

What's next, tau using CSM because they fancied fake manga battlesuits acting as berzerkers?

Nabterayl
05-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Wanting to say you are a player of race x, but needing ruleset y makes you look either incapable or wanting to have your cake and eat it.
I must say, I've always thought that cake was for eating.

What's next, tau using CSM because they fancied fake manga battlesuits acting as berzerkers?
I wouldn't have a problem with that, actually.

Denzark
05-22-2010, 01:28 AM
OK, then by extension, if it doesn't matter what models we all use to represent something then we should all be happy with green army men at £1.99 a bag of 50, I'll have 3000pts of horde guard in no time.

Nabterayl
05-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Frankly, as long as you have a cool concept - or think in good faith that you have a cool concept, whether or not I agree with you as a matter of taste - I have no problem with that, either.

Lerra
05-22-2010, 02:20 PM
I've actually seen some pretty awesome chaos Battlesuit conversions to count as Obliterators. They are instantly recognizable, and Chaos is known for stealing tech from the Imperium. Why not Tau tech as well?

Madness
05-23-2010, 03:14 AM
Thousand Sons are indeed ironic, but Blood Ravens are just as much, if you know what I mean.

AbusePuppy
05-23-2010, 06:42 AM

Is your argument here basically "You should use a bad and terrible codex because otherwise you're a girl who can't handle the poor writing, arbitrary pricing, and lack of options from a real book?" Because that's sure what it looks like.

I have no problem with counts-as so long as you put effort into it. If it's just "My marines are red this week and using Book X," yeah, that's pretty sloppy, but some folks are just gonna be that way. I don't have time to freak out over what people with poor decision-making processes are doing, because otherwise I'd never get anywhere. But someone who converts up pre-Heresy chapters with appropriate armor and coloring? Or who wants to make a chapter that doesn't exist/doesn't have a book? Or who wants to represent an existing chapter with a different book because they think it represents them better? (Iron Warriors as SW: Terminator Sarges, Priests of the Machine, etc; why not?) I don't have a problem with that because that's simply someone having fun with the game in a way that doesn't affect me in any way.

Hell, some of the coolest conversions I've seen have been counts-as. Tyracrons, anybody?

DarkLink
05-23-2010, 10:51 AM
But to represent Chaos? In your own fluff, you think this is good. But the rest if the world is wondering why you don't man up, dry your eyes, and soldier on with Gav Thorpe's nightmare...

They have a term fot this. It's 'fluff ****'. It's not a compliment. It's a frikin' game. Who frikin' cares.

Denzark
05-24-2010, 01:52 PM
I have no problem with counts-as so long as you put effort into it. If it's just "My marines are red this week and using Book X," yeah, that's pretty sloppy, but some folks are just gonna be that way.
Hell, some of the coolest conversions I've seen have been counts-as. Tyracrons, anybody?

This. Oh this,and very much. I am not a fluff nazzy, I appreciate counts as, my chaos LR is modelled on a WWI tank and my defiler has Jabba the Hutt's arse. But using an entirely diferent codex because your favourite model range has cack rules is weak.

After all, its never "let me use my new Blood Angels as necrons" is it - its always the latest codex being used as counts as.

L192837465
05-25-2010, 08:15 AM
This. Oh this,and very much. I am not a fluff nazzy, I appreciate counts as, my chaos LR is modelled on a WWI tank and my defiler has Jabba the Hutt's arse. But using an entirely diferent codex because your favourite model range has cack rules is weak.

After all, its never "let me use my new Blood Angels as necrons" is it - its always the latest codex being used as counts as.

Your argument (and opinion. Remember that. This is all just opinions) is stupid. Factors to make an army "legal":

1. Were the models purchased GW product?
2. Are you using rules set forth by GW?

If you answered yes to either of these questions, I could give a rats *** what the army actually is, so long as it's clear.