PDA

View Full Version : New Player - Need Help.

murrburger
05-19-2010, 07:47 AM
So, after reading a lot of Warmachine articles on the blog, watching a few battle reports, and talking it over with my friends, I've decided to get into the game.

I should (hopefully) get a MkII rulebook soon, and the Cryx book, but I was wondering how I should plan my army. I have the card deck, and a borrowed rulebook, but I don't really have anywhere to start in terms of list composition. How many 'jacks is good, are troops important, all these questions I don't really have an answer for. Is it like 40K where you usually need some minimum of troops, or is it all about what kind of build you're using?

I picked up the battle box, and I'm working on painting it now. I don't really want to use Denebrah, because I'm not very fond of her model. I was thinking something more along the lines of Goreshade the *******, or perhaps Terminus or even Iron Lich.

Would it be a good idea to pick up a dude(s) so I could paint him, then worry about list later?

EDIT:

Goreshade the *******
: (

Faultie
05-19-2010, 08:45 AM
There is no requirement for your army other than a Warcaster. You can literally go any direction you choose.

In the MKII environment, my best suggestion is to buy the models you like the best, and play with those. Internal faction balance is good enough to allow this sort of thing. Also, since you have the book and the card deck, I'd say play some games with your battlebox, and proxy in some of the units you're interested in. Once you get a feel for the game, you'll be able to make more informed choices on what to field and what is redundant.

I don't play Cryx, so I can't really help you on specifics, but this is my general suggestion. Get the battlebox, get games in at low points, get a feel for the rules, and proxy in some models you think are neat.

Welcome aboard!

CrashTestDummy
05-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Going along with Faultie's advice, pick the models you want to play and build off of that. In general, I would say that there isn't a standard buildout for Warmachine armies, and the one thing that will influence which direction you go in the most would be the warcaster.

For the ones you mentioned that you are interested in,
Goreshade the Jerk - He does well with bane thralls/bane knights. He is more of a support caster, supporting his army but needing them to do the killing, though he is quite capable. He is great at shutting down other opponents warcasters. Overall I would think a balance of jacks and infantry will work well with him.
Things that work well with him:
-Bane Knights/Bane Thralls
-Tartarus
-Skarlock
-Deathjack (just about everyone goes well with the deatjack)

Terminus - Terminus is a melee monstrosity and in general his army ends up being a delivery system for him. With his ability to grant tough and sacrifice men to prevent himself from being shot, and he will be shot, he will definitely benefit from an infantry heavy list.
Things that work well wit him:
Mechanithralls and Stitch thralls - So hard go kill!
Pirates
Slaughterborn & friends

Asphyxious - Asphyxious is a good old assisnation caster, either through spells or with his weapon. Sustained attack plus the ability to have 14 focus in one turn make him great at running in for the kill. He will benefit greatly from having arc nodes to shoot out spells and engage the enemy from afar, whittling them down and making a hole for him to your opponents caster. I can't think of any units that specifically go well with him, outside of the cankerworm.

Also, one thing to note is that all the casters you are looking at are on medium or larger bases. For the 2 medium bases, getting slaughterborn and friends are a good choice because they can protect your warcaster from being shot. If you don't want them/like how they play, a bokur is also a good investment with shield guard. Plus whenever he dies, you'll gain a soul token potentially!

Hope that helps. If you have other questions feel free to post 'em!

murrburger
05-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Alright, thanks for the advice, guys.

I think I'll pick up an Iron Lich, and just pick out stuff I like. From there on, I'll concentrate on painting stuff, and try and game as much as I can.