PDA

View Full Version : Stormraven and locator beacon

Christian
05-19-2010, 02:45 AM
Does the locator beacon work for troops which use Skies of blood and jump of it just 6 inches away from the SR? Because in the codex its says "and deploy the squad as if it were deep striking onto that point".

Schnitzel
05-19-2010, 07:09 AM
For RAW I'd say so. RAI, no idea as GW apparently likes to smoke crack. :P

murrburger
05-19-2010, 07:28 AM
Well... I guess it does...

Thanks, Matt Ward.

Tynskel
05-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Yes- as long as you follow all the stipulations that allow you to use the locator beacon (p.31 C:BA).

I don't see why you guys are complaining about this rule or saying matt ward did a bad job: it makes sense that the Stormraven can guide drop troops down.

Christian
05-19-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks guys. Yah i thought of it too, that this would be logical. Well this makes the storm raven even better. Put a locator beacon on it, put a good assault unit in it, move flat out and jump out 6 inches of its base after moving flat out.

DarkLink
05-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Right, there's no reason why it wouldn't. I'm not sure as to where the Storm Raven counts as being when the troops drop, to see if they're in range of the beacon, but it works otherwise.

Sandman2663
05-19-2010, 08:59 AM
This is the reason I run Vanguard in the Raven with Loc. The Priest sits high and tight in the Raven.
Zoom 24", VVS DeepStrike - oh no Heroic Intervention!, equals 32+" assault...
Couple that with a POTMS MM shot to open the candy shell and we get to the gooiness.

I love'em more and more everyday.

DarkLink
05-19-2010, 10:23 AM
This is the reason I run Vanguard in the Raven with Loc. The Priest sits high and tight in the Raven.
Zoom 24", VVS DeepStrike - oh no Heroic Intervention!, equals 32+" assault...
Couple that with a POTMS MM shot to open the candy shell and we get to the gooiness.

I love'em more and more everyday.

Unfortunately, you don't get Heroic Intervention. That only works when arriving from reserves via jump pack. GW specifically re-worded the BA Heroic Intervention to prevent its use with Storm Ravens.

Tynskel
05-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Right, there's no reason why it wouldn't. I'm not sure as to where the Storm Raven counts as being when the troops drop, to see if they're in range of the beacon, but it works otherwise.

When it comes to where you measure to see if they are in range, where is the locator beacon? On the Stormraven-- so you measure from the stormraven--- if the guys are getting out at the beginning of the 'turbo boost' then they are too far away to benefit (they just use DoA)!

Schnitzel
05-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Here's a thought, can the Dreadnought get out via this method? Move 24", drop dread behind it within 6" and fire away?

fuzzbuket
05-19-2010, 11:30 AM
i thought the dex was VERY specific about the fact taht locators ONLY work on TELEPORTING units (termis!)

Nabterayl
05-19-2010, 11:34 AM
I think you're thinking of teleport homers. Re-read page 31 of the BA dex; locator beacons work on all Deep Striking units, regardless of method.

Sandman2663
05-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Unfortunately, you don't get Heroic Intervention. That only works when arriving from reserves via jump pack. GW specifically re-worded the BA Heroic Intervention to prevent its use with Storm Ravens.

Thanks for the correction. I thought the rule was the same...I will have to give a game to my buddy at the store as this was a pivotal reason I won the other day.

Christian
05-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Here's a thought, can the Dreadnought get out via this method? Move 24", drop dread behind it within 6" and fire away?

Yah I guess so. Because it doesn't say that only Infantry may use this option. It says that every UNIT may use this beacon, if it is coming from deep strike. So It could even count for Land Raiders and Drop Pods.

DarkLink
05-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the correction. I thought the rule was the same...I will have to give a game to my buddy at the store as this was a pivotal reason I won the other day.

Heh, you weren't the first to miss it. I actually never thoroughly read the original Heroic Intervention, and only looked it up to see if it would work with Storm Ravens. So at first, I never realized that the vanilla Marine version would have worked, just that the BA one doesn't.

Tynskel
05-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Yah I guess so. Because it doesn't say that only Infantry may use this option. It says that every UNIT may use this beacon, if it is coming from deep strike. So It could even count for Land Raiders and Drop Pods.

The locator beacon on the Stormraven is pretty sweet. The Dreadnought benefits from it too!

Remember for Deep Strikers coming in from reserves: they are done first (p.94), then you can start moving units already on the board- you cannot move the Stormraven first.

synack
05-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Thats pretty sneaky. Turbo boost 24", fire melta. Drop off Furioso Dread + Mephiston. Talk about giving your opponent target priority problems.

synack
05-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Question. Skies of blood says that the unit coming out can do so at any point over the path that the strom raven took.

Lets say I turbo bost 24" forward, but after 12" I drop off the dread. Does the locator beacon come into play, as technically the stormraven was with in 6" when the dread got out, it just carried on moving after the dread got out? It's a fluffy interpretattion and I'm not sure it will work, but thought I'd ask.

Tynskel
05-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Question. Skies of blood says that the unit coming out can do so at any point over the path that the strom raven took.

Lets say I turbo bost 24" forward, but after 12" I drop off the dread. Does the locator beacon come into play, as technically the stormraven was with in 6" when the dread got out, it just carried on moving after the dread got out? It's a fluffy interpretattion and I'm not sure it will work, but thought I'd ask.

RAW:

The stormraven is moved first (p.38 C:BA). Then the units disembarks along the path (p.38 C:BA). You measure the locator beacon from the model that has it (p.31 C:BA), this would be from where the Stormraven is currently on the board.

Christian
05-20-2010, 12:33 AM
RAW:

The stormraven is moved first (p.38 C:BA). Then the units disembarks along the path (p.38 C:BA). You measure the locator beacon from the model that has it (p.31 C:BA), this would be from where the Stormraven is currently on the board.

To make it short: No

Nabterayl
05-20-2010, 02:11 AM

I agree with Tynskel. Skies of Blood says that the unit taking advantage of the rule can do so at any point over the path that the Stormraven took, not at any point during the Stormraven's move. Clearly, you can only use Skies of Blood after the Stormraven has finished its move, so you must use the Stormraven's location at the end of its move for purposes of the locator beacon.

Crae
05-20-2010, 04:13 AM
I know this doesn't directly has anything to do with your stormraven question, but it relates to the Locator beacon.

Have you considered using Drop pods instead?.

Empty or drop pods with Dreads in them are great for creating spawning points for DeepStriking units. You can buy locater beacons for drop pods and they (the DP) don't misplace like regular troops do. On top of that, a empty DP usually gets ignored. With a Dread it will get ignored 100% :).

The second thing is that you create a rough 6 inch area around the DP where you can securely drop Teleported and Deepstriking troops.

There are several interesting options in the Bloodangels codex when it comes to deepstriking;

Landraiders (especially the redeemer) can DS and a combat squad in the Landraider will make it scoring too.

Landspeeders can DS and are armed with a multitude of weapons. I especially like the Multimelta on back armour.

Deep striking vanguards, in effect have a 12 inch threat range from the drop pod, with their Heroic intervention.

Terminators (any variant) - A wall of Drop pods or a landraider will keep them safe and driving for two turns or DS ends up being about the same in the end :)

With the Drop pod assault rule, it will mean that you will get to place at least the first DP on the first turn. running 3 you get to place two on the first turn. Dropping them on control points and in areas where you know your enemy will move through gives you a way to counter with out your vital units being chewed up on their way across the board. You can get a lot of drop pods with locator beacons for the basic cost of a storm raven and a locator beacon :).
Drop pods are great for contesting objectives too and I have had more then one opponent ignore the damn thing until last turn, just to fail to destroy it and lose a objective and the game.

Just my two cent.

PS.
You get at least 4, more like 5, drop pods with locatorbeacons for the price of the most basic Raven with a locator beacon upgrade. They are not as cool thou and a fast Plasma cannon and multimelta is always nice...no doubt. Just depends what you want to achieve. I personally prefer 5 contesting units and a huge area to drop safely in :D

Christian
05-20-2010, 06:10 AM
A wall of Drop pods making a Landing Zone. Interresting.....

DarkLink
05-20-2010, 06:47 AM
I agree with Tynskel. Skies of Blood says that the unit taking advantage of the rule can do so at any point over the path that the Stormraven took, not at any point during the Stormraven's move. Clearly, you can only use Skies of Blood after the Stormraven has finished its move, so you must use the Stormraven's location at the end of its move for purposes of the locator beacon.

I agree with this. It's what I suspected before reading the rules, and I agree it's the correct conclusion.

Schnitzel
05-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Throwing in my lot with Tynskel and Darklink here. Stormraven moves first, measure 6" for beacon from it's final position.

Schnitzel
05-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Here's a thought... You move flat out and disembark, you now have a 6" bubble around the stormraven from the locater beacon. Can you take advantage of that beacon and actually deploy 6" in front of the Stormraven?
I think you can, but thats a bit cheezy and will definitely come down to some lawyering.

But if you think about it, the contents of the Stormraven are actually moving at the same speed as the Stormraven right? So when they plop out they've still got momentum. The Stormraven stops because of its ability to stop, whether it be afterburners or jets or whatever... But the troops inside fly out a bit further? Sounds quasi-reasonable to me.

Nabterayl
05-21-2010, 10:22 AM
No, because no point in front of the Stormraven is over the path the Stormraven "took."

Schnitzel
05-21-2010, 01:12 PM
No, because no point in front of the Stormraven is over the path the Stormraven "took."

However the deployment is falling within the 6" bubble, which quite possibly could steal priority for the "deep striking" unit.

Nabterayl
05-21-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "priority." A locator beacon doesn't grant you the ability to Deep Strike, after all. Rather, if you can Deep Strike, and if you can do so within 6" of a locator beacon, you don't scatter. Skies of Blood offers you the ability to Deep Strike, but only upon a point that the Stormraven moved over during its move.

Schnitzel
05-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Yeah, ran this question by my GW guru's today and got the same answer. Has to be behind the model over the path it traveled. Was worth a try though. :P

Duke
05-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Ow I am racking my brain with a cheap way of geting multiple melta guns... Honour guard? MovE 24" unload honourguard/ sternguard and open up with 5 combi meltas! Nasty stuff...

Also, I don't have my dex in front of me, but why can't the vanguard vets use heroic intervention if they have packs and come out of the stormraven?

Nabterayl
05-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Also, I don't have my dex in front of me, but why can't the vanguard vets use heroic intervention if they have packs and come out of the stormraven?
Because the Blood Angels Heroic Intervention begins, "If a jump pack equipped Vanguard Veteran Squad arrives from Reserve by Deep Strike ..."

Tynskel
05-25-2010, 02:17 PM
GW did a good job of making sure Cheesy Beardy Blood Angels players cannot dodge around the rules.

Nabterayl
05-25-2010, 03:04 PM
EDIT: nevermind.

Duke
05-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Right, I just got home and opened up the codex. I am not suprised they cut that beardy crud off at the knees... Still however, you can use the storm raven as a highly mobile locator beacon, just not "Move, deep strike, assault."

Tynskel
05-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Right, I just got home and opened up the codex. I am not suprised they cut that beardy crud off at the knees... Still however, you can use the storm raven as a highly mobile locator beacon, just not "Move, deep strike, assault."

Remember, the Locator beacon must 1) start the turn on the board (C:BA 31), and 2) deep strike occurs before moving (p.94 Rulebook).

So it is good, but not anything insane.

Christian
05-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Do you mean Deepstriking from the SR or from Reserve?

Duke
05-25-2010, 10:18 PM
Remember, the Locator beacon must 1) start the turn on the board (C:BA 31), and 2) deep strike occurs before moving (p.94 Rulebook).

So it is good, but not anything insane.

Exactley my point... It is nice, but not game breaking. If your whole army is based off deep striking it might be nice to have a few storm ravens providing "mobile locator beacons"

DarkLink
05-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Do you mean Deepstriking from the SR or from Reserve?

Reserves. Since the deepstrike out of the storm raven happens after the storm raven moves (unlike normal deepstrikes), then locator beacons always work.

The reason why locator beacons don't always work for deepstriking from reserves is because deepstrikers deploy before anything else moves. Thus you can't move a locator beacon, then deepstrike onto it immediately after.

Christian
05-27-2010, 03:18 AM
Yep. I got that just wanted to ask so I dont misunderstand you.