PDA

View Full Version : SoB Seraphim Question

Hellfire
05-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Simple question. In a unit of Seraphim, should I go with 2 twin hand flamers, 2 twin inferno pistols, or one of each?

How would you kit out the squad? How large would you make it? Upgrades?

Later.

Melissia
05-16-2010, 09:59 AM
That depends on what you intend to do with them, and what armies you're most likely to face, along with the balance of the rest of your army.

Two hand flamers makes them purely anti-horde. They charge in firing their flamers and bolt pistols, hit two assault phases, and then hit and run out of there, and do it again (or to a different target, letting the first target be finished off by rapid fire from another squad). You generally don't want to cause them to do Divine Guidance, they don't have enough shots to really justify that.

Two TL Inferno Pistols means that they can be anti-tank but, more importantly, anti-MEQ. That's basically two assured wounds (S8 AP2 Twin-Linked at BS4) you cause before you charge. And that also means two wounds that instakill Nobs, too, which is awesome.

Necrosis
05-16-2010, 10:47 AM
A very common combo I see people do, is two hand flamers and an Eviscerator on the Superior. This gives you both anti horde and anti tank.

DarkLink
05-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Two hand flamers, plus a Brazier on the vet, will put wounds on just about anything (including MEQ, especially when combined with faith points).

I wouldn't rely on just an Eviscerator for anti-tank, though. Unless you already have a fair amount elsewhere, and plan on using it to pick of immobilized vehicles.

Melissia
05-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Right, trying to assault any moving tanks isn't exactly the greatest thing in the world unless you have a LOT of attacks.

Fizzics
05-16-2010, 12:42 PM
That depends on what you intend to do with them, and what armies you're most likely to face, along with the balance of the rest of your army.

Two hand flamers makes them purely anti-horde. They charge in firing their flamers and bolt pistols, hit two assault phases, and then hit and run out of there, and do it again (or to a different target, letting the first target be finished off by rapid fire from another squad). You generally don't want to cause them to do Divine Guidance, they don't have enough shots to really justify that.

Two TL Inferno Pistols means that they can be anti-tank but, more importantly, anti-MEQ. That's basically two assured wounds (S8 AP2 Twin-Linked at BS4) you cause before you charge. And that also means two wounds that instakill Nobs, too, which is awesome.

/end thread... best answer

Melissia
05-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Either way be sure to make good use of their hit and run rule. They automatically pass the initiative test required to do the Hit and Run move, so they can do it at the end of any assault phase without fail. It opens up some great tactical options, but the most effective one I've found is the somewhat infamous (at least in my area) maneuver of hit and run and then rapid fire w/divine guidance from a battle sister squad. And Seraphim can quite often survive getting in combat with most units for two assault phases, with Acts of Faith to buff them.

thecactusman17
05-16-2010, 11:03 PM
I play 7 seraphim with a Veteran and one of each. There are a couple of reasons for this. The one that most directly relates to your question is versatility. My seraphim are never at a significant disadvantage against any given list. They can do a number of wounds to hordes and small groups, pop moving armor, and have an excellent chance of passing any given faith action. today, for example, I slapped a DE raider in the balls by first hitting with an Inferno pistol (knocked off the Dark Lance) then walloping it with a charge at +2S with multiple attacks. In another case, I was in a position to potentially insta-gib a pair of zoanthropes when I hit with multiple ranged weapons including my Inferno pistols, and did two wounds instead of one with the flamers.

When dealing with hordes, your seraphim have to have two advantages. They MUST be able to make saves (again, the vet in a medium squad of seraphim makes this very doable with the invul save faith act) and they MUST be able to tie combat. Charging into a 30-strong Ork mob is a very fast way to lose your relatively expensive counter--charge unit. a big wall of flamers can do this. But you'll lose the anti-vehicle firepower.

Here's a suggestion: a vet with a Brazier is only 10 points more than a vet without, and you get the benefit of a third die for determining faith acts. Pop that one-off flamer template at the right time and you'll be sitting pretty for the rest of the game.

DarkLink
05-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Either way be sure to make good use of their hit and run rule. They automatically pass the initiative test required to do the Hit and Run move, so they can do it at the end of any assault phase without fail. It opens up some great tactical options, but the most effective one I've found is the somewhat infamous (at least in my area) maneuver of hit and run and then rapid fire w/divine guidance from a battle sister squad. And Seraphim can quite often survive getting in combat with most units for two assault phases, with Acts of Faith to buff them.

You can do some cool stuff with it. For example, I once make a unit of necrons fall back from shooting. I didn't have any units nearby to chase them off the board, though. So I assaulted with my Seraphim, then hit and ran and got close enough that the unit couldn't regroup, and fell back off the board.

Aegis
05-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Also, remember that Seraphim have their own brand of Hit and Run which does not need an I test.

And remember not to jump out at the end of your assault phase... I did that once, mistakenly, against a platoon of guard. Then discovered just how advanced a case of melanoma FRSR firing lasguns can cause...