PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Lists for 'Ard Boyz Scenarios

Schnitzel
05-14-2010, 10:10 AM
I've noticed a lot of players are upset and a bit unnerved by scenario three with it's anti-mech KPs. I've also seen a lot of hubris about how the scenarios favor the 'Nidz. This being the case, how do you think the lists at 'Ard boyz will be this weekend? Will we be finding less mech and more MC killing load outs? More Rockets instead of Melta? Are Guard payers fine tuning their lists to combat Nidz? What about SMs? What about the Mech Gunline that plans to say "screw mission three" and turtle back and unleash pie plates?

I'm interested to hear every one's thoughts on this.

DarkLink
05-14-2010, 10:21 AM
I think some players will consciously take fewer fragile transports (no Razorback spam, nor Chimera shield walls). On the other hand, de-meching completely will have a big negative effect on the first two missions.

So I think Land Raiders will, if anything, become more common, since 3 KPs for a 250+pt unit is quite a bit more reasonable than 3 KPs for a 35pt unit. On the other hand, many players will try to consolidate their units into fewer transports to minimize KPs.

I think, all in all, that there will be slightly less reason to take anti-tank stuff in general, though you still will have to worry about Monstrous Creatures.

Personally, it means that I'm probably going to have plenty of lascannons with my three Land Raiders. GK Terminators can clean house when units are outside of their transports just fine, and I've got plenty of melta from Stormtroopers, Guardsmen and allied Sisters to take out a couple Land Raiders.

eldargal
05-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Anti-mech killpoints? I love GW sometimes*. Bless their hearts, they just managed to enrage practically every competitive player.

*Not sarcasm.

So, not really adding much to the thread, I'll go away now.

Darkwynn
05-14-2010, 10:54 AM
They failed on it for me Eldargal :P

I just shrug and roll with it. PEople hating on the missions need to get over it and just adapt to it.

Melissia
05-14-2010, 10:57 AM
If I was plannong in entering, I'd probably just enter my Ork Green Tide army instead of my mech Sisters army.

eldargal
05-14-2010, 11:01 AM
What, think, learn and adapt? In this hobby? How can you suggest such a thing.:mad:

I lied about going away.

They failed on it for me Eldargal :P

I just shrug and roll with it. PEople hating on the missions need to get over it and just adapt to it.

Sir Biscuit
05-14-2010, 03:45 PM
I don't think it will change the final results very much. After all, there are only two options:
1.) Drastically change your army in response.
2.) Ignore it and play your army anyway.
Option one isn't a good one, because, lets face it, we all use a lot of mech. Mech is the army we are comfortable with. Mech is the army we play. Switching away from it isn't as easy as just dropping tanks, it requires an entirely different kind of mindset and tactical acumen to go with it. Entirely changing the way your army plays a few weeks before the event won't give you enough time to get good with it... and then good players who chose to stick with their same list will beat you.

With that in mind, option two is clearly superior. Play the army you know and are comfortable with, and adapt to the mission instead of trying to render it null through army build.

That being said, nids have gained a slight advantage, but they've always had trouble with mech anyway so we'll see. Also, most good nid builds seem to include several tervigons, so... kill point city.

Schnitzel
05-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Well, I'm not entirely sure what to expect at this point. I have my suspicions... But all I care for is that I don't run into Hydra's or tons of high Strength long range weapons. Running three Stormravens carrying a Furiouso, two Death Dreads, two Death Co (one w/ Lemartes, one w/Astaroth), and an Assault Squad with Sang Priest and Chaplin. Got one combat squaded Tac Squad carrying Plas/PlasCan w/Combi-plas Sgt and Combi-plas Priest that I hold in reserve and walk on. No one around my FLGS seems to be expecting such a list, nor are they prepared for it. The few I've play tested against are just hoping not to get matched with me and that they play against guys who's lists are more along the lines of whats expected.

DarkLink
05-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Well, I'm not entirely sure what to expect at this point. I have my suspicions... But all I care for is that I don't run into Hydra's or tons of high Strength long range weapons.

Luckily for me, my main anti-tank is 6 TL Lascannons mounted on Land Raiders, just in case any of our players come up with a couple Valkyries/Storm Ravens.

Of course, they've been rolling horribly these last few games. I can hit and penetrate just fine, but I haven't rolled higher than a 3 90% of the time. Luckily, I also have several melta squads to blow up anything that gets through, and to take out any Land Raiders and the like.

Edit: In fact, come to think of it, I haven't lost a game in a while, regardless of rolling. There's at least two players who started showing up within the last few months who have never actually seen me lose...

Guess it's time to quit while I'm ahead :D

Melissia
05-14-2010, 07:58 PM
I got some people thinking I cheated playing Sisters because of my roughly 1.5:1 win loss ratio... which prompted me to point out that I was playing them EXACTLY by the rules. And the one who did cheat I beat because I'm a better player than them. I don't need a crutch to help me win.

DarkLink
05-15-2010, 01:19 AM
I got some people thinking I cheated playing Sisters because of my roughly 1.5:1 win loss ratio... which prompted me to point out that I was playing them EXACTLY by the rules. And the one who did cheat I beat because I'm a better player than them. I don't need a crutch to help me win.

Yeah, of course then every once in a while I run into the sort of game I had tonight. There was literally nothing I could do to win. First thing, my opponent rolls for his first four guardsman lascannons. All four hit, two penetrate and two glance. I fail my cover saves, and he explodes my Land Raider. That's a quarter of my army. And the rest of the game pretty much went downhill from there.

On the bright side, my Grey Knights themselves managed to kill a whole bunch of Guardsmen. But, whoop-de-doo, he's got about 50 or 80 more.

I can get by pretty well with GKs, being experienced with them. But every once and a while, you just get into a situation where they literally just can't pull through. Rare, but very frustrating when it happens.

PedroKantor
05-15-2010, 10:54 PM

i played against a sisters list at adepticon, it was only a combat patrol game but it was tough as nails. wooped me super bad, and so fun to play against as no one in my regular gaming group plays them.... needless to say, sisters are still a very competitive list and *fingers crossed* they get a new codex, they will only be harder to face