PDA

View Full Version : Cities of Death Modelling blues

Dr Cthulhu
05-12-2010, 08:29 PM
I have two Imperial Cities boxes and have had no end of trouble in putting them together. I use crazy glue, but it leaves the pieces brittle and wobbly. I like the architecture of the pieces but the assembly leaves a lot to be desired.
I'd like to ask the community to help me out in two things:
a) what medium "brand name" of a solvent to glue together the pieces.
b) any Ideas to mount the pieces.

Thanks!!!

fade_74
05-12-2010, 08:33 PM
I use Lock tite brand superglue. You can get it at any walmart if you are from the states. As for mounting...I would skip it. Get yourself a good battle mat. Just put together buildings and move them on it as you see fit. You can always make "corner pieces" (out of leftovers) to make larger swathes of area terrain.

lobster-overlord
05-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Don't use CA (super glues) on polystyrene plastics if you want durability. Use the standard testor's model glue. When glueing them together, make sure the edges are as flat/even as possible and glue to together on a flat surface so they remain rigid to each other. Build whole walls and then put perpendicular walls together after they have had time to set.

Mine are very ridig after building them this way.

I mounted mine on 14x14 MDF 1/4 in tiles to make "blocks"

John m.

TheBitzBarn
05-12-2010, 09:01 PM
John Summed it up

DO not use SUPER glue on Plastic if you want the bond to hold as it will not.

Super Glue sets on the surface and a Plastic Glue melts and then hardens the plastic piece together that almsot become one. Us ethe Testors as it is Cheapest and one of the best on the market.

Brass Scorpion
05-12-2010, 09:03 PM
I built all my Cities Of Death buildings using plastic cement. The gooey style polystyrene Hobby Cement sold in tubes and made by Super Glue Corporation is especially good for this purpose because it gets tacky and dries pretty fast. Of course, any polystyrene plastic cement will do, but I save my good Testor's Model Masters stuff for models requiring more precision.

In order to increase stability and speed up the building time I mounted my buildings on thin MDF "masonite" which you may also have seen in similar use at GW stores. It's cheap and fairly durable. The tiles need to be "super glued" to the masonite, but I would use plastic cement to glue the plastic building tiles to each other as I've suggested above.

Rafe_131
05-13-2010, 10:22 AM
I put my Cities o' Death stuff together using crazy glue, and had no problems. Mabey I got lucky, but I've assembled almost all of my models with crazy glue and have had no troubles. The thing to remember with crazy glue is less is more. If you get too much on, it A. Weakens the bond B. Takes forever to dry and cure.

Lord Azaghul
05-13-2010, 10:35 AM
John Summed it up

DO not use SUPER glue on Plastic if you want the bond to hold as it will not.

Super Glue sets on the surface and a Plastic Glue melts and then hardens the plastic piece together that almsot become one. Us ethe Testors as it is Cheapest and one of the best on the market.

Just to reinforce this: yes, yes, yes.

fade_74
05-13-2010, 03:27 PM
You all can say what you will about super glues....but I have 40 catachans that that have been heavily gamed with.....repainted....and heavily gamed with again...they are 10 years old...and I have NEVER lost so much as a single arm. I pick them up by the handful....making rafe cringe lol. I think it is just personal preference. I have never used model glue and I think my stuff turns out just as durable as the next guys.

Dr Cthulhu
05-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks to all who posted; I will try to use plastic glue to cement the tiles.